ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2019 4:39 pm  #1

Side-Fic 310: Underappreciated

Rated TV-14 (DLSV)

May: Ni hao, everybody! It's almost time for the show!

Kurumi: Don't forget to watch in a brightly-lit room, and don't sit too close to the monitor. Or else.

Narrator: In New York City's fight against crime, the dedicated detectives who pursue the most vicious criminals are members of an elite unit known as ACME Crime Net.

[132 Madison Street, Tuesday, March 26th, 2:39pm]

[Sora, Layla, and Kotori wait in Layla's group's room]

Layla: Where is Tohka? I thought she'd back from work around this time.

Kotori: You know she works at Hooters, right? She never leaves work without a meal.

Layla: But she promised she'd train with me.

Sora: I'm sure she just lost track of time.

Tohka: [rushes inside] Sorry I'm late, Layla.

Layla: You were supposed to meet me for training at 2:30. What happened? Eat more than usual?

Tohka: No way! I only had a few fish tacos and a soda.

Layla: Then why are you 10 minutes late for training?

Tohka: Origami and I stopped for something urgent on the way. But never mind that now. We've got sword training to take care of.

Layla: You're right. C'mon.

[They head upstairs]

Kotori: All right, Sora. You said you'd spar with me, right?

Sora: Yes. Now, we Gladiators don't just fight with our fists and weapons. [does a backflip] We also use our acrobatic abilities! I didn't join Kaleido Stage for nothing.

Kotori: So I can see.

Sora: Now, let's start with a somersault. Stand up straight with your arms up by your ears.

[Kotori stands up straight, raising her arms high]

Sora: Very good. Now, crouch down and put your hands on the ground.

[Kotori does so; Sora helps tuck her head in]

Sora: Now, when you actually do the roll, you're gonna land on your back, not on your head. That's why I tucked your head in. Hips over...

[Kotori does the roll successfully, then stands up straight and raises her arms high]

Sora: Good girl.

Kotori: [rubs her neck] Not a bad move, though I almost got a neck cramp.

Sora: Once you get the hang of it, you probably won't even feel the cramps.

Kotori: Thanks, Sora.

[They bump fists; Sora suddenly notices red frosting on her knuckles]

Sora: Huh? What's this?

Kotori: Oh, sorry. Must've gotten it on during... uh, lunch, and I forgot to wash up.

Sora: But you're Ratatoskr's commander.

Kotori: True, but at the end of the day, I'm still just a teenager.

Sora: Never mind that. Let's just wash up and move on to the next lesson.

Kotori: [as she and Sora head for the bathroom] Hey, you think you could teach me how to do some of those maneuvers you did at Kaleido Stage?

Sora: Like what?

Kotori: Well, the Legendary Great Maneuver is a bit of a stretch, and the Triple Illusion requires three, but how 'bout your Little Mermaid moves?

Sora: We'll see. But we should start with the basics before we go any further.

[An hour later, outside the room, Shido and Mana are sparring in martial arts, when May enters]

May: Hey, you guys, have you seen Kurumi?

Shido: A couple minutes ago. She's in the bathroom now.

Mana: She left that bag on the table.

[May walks up to a bag on the table]

May: Oh. That must be the first-aid supplies she volunteered to pick up from HQ.

[She looks in the bag]

May: What the hell?

[Kurumi comes out of the bathroom]

Kurumi: Hey, May. Back already?

May: Care to explain why I see a bag full of napkins, plates, plastic cups, and party hats instead of the first-aid supplies you said you'd get?

Kurumi: Oh, crap! [facepalms] The supply guy must've given me the wrong bag! I am so sorry. Tell you what, I'll go back and get the first-aid supplies. Don't worry. I'll make sure they don't mess up again.

Origami: [takes the bag] I'll take this into the storage room, just in case we really need the contents. [heads for the storage room]

Kurumi: [exits the warehouse] See you later, guys.

May: Hmm.

[Layla and Sora walk up to her]

Sora: Where's Kurumi off to in such a hurry?

May: She goofed. She said she'd get us first-aid supplies, and she wound up getting party supplies instead, somehow.

Layla: Think you got it bad? Tohka, being the bottomless pit she is, was 10 minutes late coming back from work.

Sora: And Kotori'd been pestering me to teach her more of my best moves. I mean, yeah, I'm a Kaleido Star, but to learn my moves takes a lot of training.

[The rest of their group approaches]

Brittany: Time for holodeck training, guys. To the MagnaShip.

[They all head for the orbital elevator; as it goes up, they discuss what they have been up to with Spirits]

Sora: Have you guys been having issues with the Spirits lately?

Anna: Well, Kaguya wanted to hear some of my best jokes, and Yuzuru wanted to see me mime.

Mia: Nia didn't feel like training today. She looked like she was out of breath.

Zuzu: [points at her left cheek, which has a bit of red frosting] After our training, Miku--

Layla: Don't tell me-- She kissed you?

Zuzu: I can live with that, Layla. She's like a big sister to me. The problem is that when she kissed me after training, she left a smear of this red stuff on my cheek. What's up with that?

Pamela: Mukuro wasn't training, either. She said she was busy in the kitchen.

Marion: So was Yoshino.

Rosetta: And Natsumi, too.

Brittany: Origami was in the same boat as Tohka. 10 minutes late for training. And, of course, Shido and Mana have their own training to deal with. They didn't have enough time for us.

Layla: Needless to say, something is really off with the Spirits.

[Meanwhile, on board the Nickar, Tomahawk, Myaza, Scorch, Fearbat, and Talon huddle]

Tomahawk: I'm running out of ideas. No matter how much we try to beat the Gladiators, we end up losing one of our own.

Myaza: But remember what Westcott told us? In every battle the Gladiators best us, who's always there to lend them a helping hand?

Scorch: Hard to remember.

Myaza: [smacks Talon on the head] The Spirit Soldiers, dumbass!

Fearbat: Who was there to help two of the Glads beat Norebo and Zobo? Spirit Soldiers Orange and Gray. Who was there to help the Lorikeet of Love beat Lutehoot? Spirit Soldier Fuchsia. Who was there to help the Diabolo Fairy beat Demoth? Spirit Soldier Green and that traitor Takamiya. Who was there yesterday to get the Aqua Blossom out of a jam and then help her defeat Serpentia? Spirit Soldier Blue.

Myaza: Exactly! Which is why we have to get the Spirit Soldiers out of our way.

Talon: But how can we?

Myaza: Here's the plan.

[Back at the warehouse, Shido plays Poker with Tohka, Origami, Kotori, and Mana]

Shido: [adds eight chips to the pot] Raise you eight.

Kotori and Mana: [each add eight chips to the pot] I'm in.

Tohka: Ah, what the hell? [does the same]

Origami: [adds eight to the pot] Me, too.

Mana: [reveals her hand] Full house, 3s and Jacks.

Kotori: [reveals her hand] Full house, Kings and Queens.

Tohka: [slams her hand to the table] Not again!

[Her hand is two 2s and three 4s]

Shido: [reveals his hand] Think you got it bad? I got a 10-high straight. One diamond, four hearts.

Origami: I got a 10-high straight, too.

Kotori: Looks like I win.

Origami: [reveals her hand] In spades. Straight flush.

Kotori: [sighs] Best of nine. How's that?

[The alarm blares]

Shido: Maybe later.

[They rush downstairs to the lab; the monitor opens a channel to Battery Park, where Tomahawk, Myaza, and Fearbat await]

Shido: Them again?!

Tohka: We'd better contact the Gladiators.

Kotori: [to her Spirit Brace] Kotori to the MagnaShip! Three members of the Treacherous Ten have been spotted in Battery Park! Intercept them at once!

Layla: We're on our way, Kotori!

[Cut to Battery Park; the three Demonoids look around]

Tomahawk: Awfully quiet around here.

Myaza: Oh, well. Might as well burn this place to the ground.

[She is about to unleash flames from her hands, when suddenly, the Gladiators (all in uniform) fly into the scene and strike her and the other two w/their weapons]

Sora: Sorry, Myaza, but it's still too soon for a barbecue.

Talon: Oh, all 10 of you again? Fine. [whips out her pike] But let's make it fast.

[The other two whip out their pikes, and a fight breaks out between the two teams]

Tomahawk: [in her mind] The trap is set. The Gladiators are as good as doomed.

[Back at the warehouse, Scorch appears on the roof]

Scorch: "Step into our parlor", said the spiders to the flies.

[She stomps on the roof, causing the ground beneath the warehouse to vibrate; inside, Shido, the Spirits, and Mana react]

Kaguya: Holy crap! Is it an earthquake?!

Yuzuru: Refute. No. It's gotta be much worse.

Miku: It's gotta be coming from the roof!

Tohka: Time to go to work!

Shido: Let's go, girls!

[He and his group hurry to the roof and confront the two Demonoids]

Origami: Scorch! Remove yourself from the premises at once!

Scorch: Oh, what luck! The Spirit Soldiers! Wait a sec. I only see 11 of you, plus the renegade. Where's Spirit Soldier Black?

Natsumi: I was wondering the same thing. Where is Kurumi, anyway?

Tohka: Must be having a little car trouble.

Shido: We'll have to go on without her. Now, Mana, whatever you do, don't use up too much power. Remember, you need to conserve your powers.

Mana: I know, Big Brother.

Shido: Spirits, get ready to transform!

[He and the Spirits prepare their Sephira Braces, when suddenly, Fearbat swoops down from the Manhattan Bridge and knocks the Sephira Braces off their wrists, then catches the 11 in a large net]

Mana: Big Brother!

[She is about to reach for the net, when Scorch gets in the way and struggles to push her back]

Scorch: I wouldn't worry about them if I were you, you little bitch!

Fearbat: [lands and laughs] Surprised you, didn't I?

Shido: Fearbat!

Fearbat: That's right! All part of my plan!

Scorch: Your plan? Wasn't that Myaza's plan?

Tohka: I don't care whose plan it was! Let us go!

Fearbat: Oh, we will. [flies away with the net containing the gang (minus Mana)] After we get rid of the Kaleido Gladiators, that is!

Shido: Stay strong, Mana! We'll find a way outta this somehow!

Scorch: Nice work, Fearbat! [to Mana] Now, where were we? Ah, yes. I can't take any chances you'll come after me, so I'll just destroy you!

[She spews fire at Mana]

Mana: [gets equipped w/her CR-Unit] Equip, Vanagandr!

[She deploys her barrier to repel the blast]

Scorch: Oh, clever move. But you're still a weak Wizard with your limited powers.

[She whips out her Pyro Pike]

Mana: I don't care!

[She whips out her laser sword; both fight]

Scorch: I'm far more powerful than any Wizard could ever handle!

Mana: We'll just have to see about that, won't we?

[Scorch spews fire at Mana, who dodges]

Mana: Missed me!

[She strikes Scorch w/the mechanical jaw on her left arm; Scorch dusts off the damage]

Scorch: Not a scratch. Inferno Fury!

[Her pike unleashes a burst of flames at Mana, hitting her]

Mana: Is that the best you can do?

Scorch: You're gonna regret saying that!

[She fires her lasers at Mana, who swiftly dodges, until Scorch flies up to her and strikes her w/her pike]

Scorch: [laughs] Wait'll I tell your big brother how brave you were at the end.

[Mana struggles to get back on her feet, until Scorch unleashes another Inferno Fury from her pike; Mana deploys another barrier, but the powerful flames shatter it and strike her hard; Mana reverts to normal]

Scorch: Even your little barrier can't defend you from my Inferno Fury, even if I'm on my own. [laughs] And since your unit reached its daily limit, it's time to destroy you!

Mana: It doesn't matter what you do to me. I may lose, but you'll never be allowed to win!

Scorch: Defiant girl, ever so loyal to your brother. [raises her pike] Alas, this is where you suffer your punishment for treason!

[Back at Battery Park, Layla, Sora, and Pamela strike Tomahawk, Myaza, and Talon respectively w/their weapons; the other seven Gladiators then kick the three Demonoids to the ground]

Tomahawk: Pyro Pikes, ready!

[She and her fellow Demonoids channel energy into their pikes]

All three Demonoids: Inferno Fury!

[They fire powerful blasts from their pikes at the Gladiators, hitting them all]

Layla: We're not done yet, feather-heads!

Myaza: True, because we have to recharge.

Tomahawk: But we'll be back, and we won't be alone!

Talon: See ya!

[All three vanish]

Sora: Just when they have the upper hand, they bolt?

Pamela: This whole incident smells worse than a rotten chicken bone.

Brittany: We'd better get back to the warehouse, pronto.

[They fly away]

[Back at the warehouse roof, Scorch has an injured Mana cornered]

Scorch: [about to strike Mana w/her pike] Ta-ta, turncoat!

[Suddenly, a series of bullets strike her, forcing her to drop her pike]

Scorch: Now what?

[She turns to her left to find Spirit Soldier Black (the bullets came from her Spirit Musket)]

Kurumi: Miss me, Scorch?

Mana: Kurumi...

Kurumi: Mana, where are the others?

Mana: Fearbat kidnapped them. They dropped their Spirit Braces. The Kaleido Gladiators were tricked. [collapses]

Kurumi: [growls] Scorch, tell me where the others are!

Scorch: Even I don't know where Fearbat took them, but that should be the least of your problems. [picks up her pike] 'Cause now I'm gonna destroy you both, starting with you!

[She charges at Kurumi, who fires bullets from her musket at Scorch, freezing her in her tracks]

Kurumi: [converts her musket to Blade Mode] Spirit Musket, Blade Mode, ready!

[She is about to strike the immobilized Scorch with her musket, when Scorch intercepts with her hands]

Scorch: [laughs] Your musket's Time Freeze Mode is useless against a Treacherous Ten Demonoid.

[She flips Kurumi on her back, then lifts Kurumi back on her feet]

Kurumi: [whips out her Spirit Pistol and points it at Scorch] Lucky hit, Scorch!

Scorch: [slaps the pistol from Kurumi's hand] Luck has nothing to do with it.

[She strikes Kurumi viciously w/her pike; Kurumi groans in pain and reverts to normal; Scorch then flips Kurumi chest first and stomps on her right arm; Kurumi screams]

Scorch: You're as weak as the renegade Wizard. [laughs] Just like when you were known as "The Worst Spirit", now you're the "Worst Spirit Soldier". Give up, Nightmare. Or suffer.

Kurumi: [in pain] Never!

Scorch: [raises her pike] Your funeral.

[She strikes Kurumi repeatedly w/her pike]

[Back downstairs, the Gladiators return and look around]

Layla: Anyone home? Shido! Tohka! Mana!

Sora: Kotori!

Rosetta: Natsumi!

Marion: Yoshino!

May: Kurumi!

Brittany: Origami!

Mia: Nia!

Anna: Kaguya! Yuzuru!

Zuzu: Miku!

Pamela: Mukuro!

[They suddenly hear the sounds of Kurumi's screaming coming from upstairs]

May: Guys! It's Kurumi!

[She flies upstairs]

Rosetta: [flies after her] May! Wait!

[Back on the roof, Scorch continues to wallop Kurumi with her pike]

Scorch: That was just the appetizer. [lifts up her pike, ready to stab Kurumi] Now for the entrée!

[Suddenly, May bursts out through the door]

May: SCORCH!!!

[She skates toward Scorch in hyperspeed and strikes her in the right eye w/her trident; Scorch screams and drops her pike]

Scorch: Demon Blader!

May: Get your filthy claws away from Kurumi, or your left eye is next!

[Rosetta flies into the scene and finds an unconscious Mana on the ground; she grabs her and the fallen Spirit Braces, then flies back downstairs with them]

Scorch: [groans; laughs] You know, what happened to this Spirit Soldier and her Wizard friend was just a bonus for me, 'cause my team got what we wanted. Now that the Spirit Soldiers are out of commission, along with the renegade, we're free to destroy you Gladiators with ease!

May: [grips her trident] So that's it, huh? You think we depend on the Spirit Soldiers to defeat you?

Kurumi: [groans] May...

Scorch: You take them for granted. Big no-no, Gladiator.

May: The only big no-no around here is you trying to torture Kurumi! And all those times we beat the rest of your team-- The Spirit Soldiers came of their own accord, not by our requests. They just wanna help.

Scorch: Well, in doing so, the one in black paid the price. Now to destroy you!

[She mutates into a more monstrous form; her pike takes on a new shape]

Scorch: Just you and me, Demon Blader!

[She spews fire from her mouth while firing an empowered burst of demonic flames at May; the flames combine to form a more powerful blast, then hit May]

May: [gets back on her feet] Your mutated form doesn't make you anymore powerful than me. Mega Armor, activate!

[She assumes Mega Mode]

[Demon Blader is heard in the background]

May: Now you'll witness the full power of the Demon Blader, Scorch! And you will suffer the same fate as the members of the Treacherous Ten before you!

Scorch: I doubt that!

May: Well, I don't! Let's rock!

Scorch: Gladly!

[They both fight each other w/their weapons over the next minute, but May has proven too much for Scorch; she slams Scorch to the wall]

Scorch: [gets back on her feet] My turn! [surrounded by black aura] Dragon Dash!

[She flies toward May at lightning speed and strikes her; May turns around and skates toward Scorch, then does a screw spin with her weapons]

May: Double Demon Screw Spin!

[She strikes Scorch w/her weapons; Scorch screams]

Scorch: I don't sweat you!

May: Listen to me!

Scorch: WHAT?!

May: Surrender, or you'll be #6 on the list of the defeated members of your team!

Scorch: Never! Remember, you have no Spirit Soldiers to back your play!

May: We'd have won without them, anyway, just like I'm about to now. If you must continue to fight for the Demonoids, you don't leave me a choice.

[She raises her glowing trident]

May: Mega Demon Wave!

[She swings her trident, firing a powerful wave of black energy at Scorch, hitting her; Scorch screams, falls to the ground, and an explosion is shown; after the smoke clears, Scorch's Demonoid computer chip is floating in mid-air]

May: This is for Kurumi! Demon Blade! [raises her glowing blade and takes to the sky] Demon Sky Strike!

[She bisects the chip with her blade, shattering it to pieces]

May: It'll take a lot more than that to beat the Demon Blader!

[She reverts to normal and looks down at the injured Kurumi; she carries Kurumi in her arms]

May: Come on, Kurumi. Gotta get those wounds dressed.

Kurumi: [weakly] Thank you, May.

[Wo Hop Chinese Restaurant, 17 Mott St., 3:41pm]

[Fearbat tosses her captives into the restaurant's freezer; she pries the inside lock from the door]

Fearbat: Hmm. Good thing this place is closed for the week. Anyway, Spirit Soldiers, without you, the Kaleido Gladiators are doomed.

Tohka: You won't get away with this, Fearbat! Kurumi's still out there, and she's gonna give you Hell!

Fearbat: Oh, we'll find her soon enough, then I'll bring her back here, and you can all just freeze your asses off until all 10 Gladiators are dead. Then I'll let you out and present you to Master Westcott. And don't think I've forgotten about your renegade sister, Shido Itsuka. She can try and fend us off all she wants, but there's a price to be paid for betraying Westcott in his previous life, and when we get her, Westcott will blow her brains out. [slams the door shut]

[Shido frantically struggles to get the door open, but to no avail; he bangs the door hard]

Shido: BITCH!

Kotori: Bro, calm down!

Shido: How can I calm down at a time like this?! We don't have our Spirit Braces now, Mana's on her own against Scorch, and God knows whether or not Kurumi will get to her in time! And what about the Gladiators?! What if they--?!

[Tohka slaps him]

Shido: Tohka...

Tohka: [caresses Shido's cheek where she slapped him] I know you're worried about your sister, Shido, but we'll find a way out. [frowns] Oh. Sorry for the slap, Shido. But it was the only way I could--

Shido: [pats her on the head] It's all right, Tohka. It was nice of you to help.

Miku: But how are we gonna get out of here?

Natsumi: We can't unlock the door from the inside. Fearbat destroyed the lock.

Kotori: Well, we could always batter it down.

Shido: Okay, but only one shot. Ready, Tohka?

Tohka: On 3.

Shido: 1,... 2,... 3!

[He and Tohka charge at the door and try to ram it open, but nothing happens]

Tohka: [groans] Pretty heavy on the shoulders.

Shido: [groans] Tell me about it. Any other ideas?

Origami: The best we can do is look around.

[132 Madison Street, 3:47pm]

[In the infirmary, Mana sits on a bed; Sora bandages her up]

Sora: What happened to the others while we were gone?

Mana: Fearbat kidnapped them. I tried to go after her, but Scorch got in my way, and I had to use my Wizard powers to keep her at bay. She was too much for me. Then Kurumi came, but even she couldn't lay a dent on Scorch. Thank God Miss May managed to show up, or we'd have both been dead.

Sora: And she proved to the Demonoids that even one Gladiator can easily beat a member of the Treacherous Ten singlehandedly.

Mana: Now, if only we could find my brother and the other Spirits. [looks at the abandoned Spirit Braces] They could be helpless without their Spirit Braces.

[Meanwhile, in the cast of KS' room, May daubs a ball of cotton with hydrogen peroxide while Kurumi gently blows on the wound on her right arm]

May: Don't do that.

[Kurumi tries to pull her right arm back]

May: Hold still.

[The moment she daubs the peroxide on the wound, Kurumi shrieks]

Kurumi: That hurts!

May: Only because you wouldn't hold still! What were you thinking, fighting Scorch on your own?

Kurumi: I tried to get her to tell me where the rest of her group was keeping the other Spirit Soldiers. Luring you out of the warehouse to Battery Park-- It was a setup. The others led you into battle so Fearbat would kidnap the rest of my team while Scorch kept me and Mana at bay.

May: We'll get in touch with the Fraxinus crew. I'm sure they'll track your friends down. Now, hold still.

[Kurumi does so; May gently daubs peroxide on Kurumi's wound, then covers it with gauze, then wraps a bandage around it]

Kurumi: You're really good at this.

May: I've done this a lot. Before I joined Kaleido Stage, whenever my brothers and sisters and I would play in the park, one would get hurt, but I always bring first aid.

[Sora approaches with the Spirit Braces on hand]

Sora: Rosetta found these Spirit Braces lying on the ground. Wherever the other Spirit Soldiers are, escaping alone is a lot easier said than done.

Kurumi: How's Mana doing?

Sora: She's okay, but she can't use her Wizard powers for the rest of the day. She used up quite a lot against Scorch.

Kurumi: Poor girl. I bet she's upset she couldn't save her brother. But I should've been there, too. If I hadn't left the first-aid supplies behind in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

May: Don't worry about it. We'll get 'em back. [pauses] Wait, left them behind? I thought you said earlier you just brought back the wrong bag.

[Kurumi's mouth is agape]

Kurumi: Excuse me.

[She heads for another room]

May: Kurumi?

Sora: What's wrong?

[They follow Kurumi to the room; there, they find a large layer cake, balloons, streamers, and a banner: "To our friends, the Kaleido Gladiators", in English and Japanese characters]

May: What the--?

Sora: Kurumi, is this...?

[The rest of their group and Mana enter]

Mana: Kurumi, don't tell me you spoiled it.

Kurumi: Sorry. It just slipped out.

Layla: [looks at the banner] "To our friends, the Kaleido Gladiators"?

Kurumi: It was supposed to be a surprise. The Spirits and I wanted to throw you a party tonight.

May: So that explains the party supplies.

Kurumi: And Nia blew up the balloons. That's why she was too tired to train with you, Mia.

Brittany: And Origami?

Kurumi: She and Tohka stopped to get more streamers on the way back from work.

Layla: No wonder Tohka ran late for training.

Sora: Let me guess-- Kotori got icing on her face when she was icing the cake.

Zuzu: I'll bet Miku was even licking some icing off the spatula when she was helping Kotori and forgot to wipe her face before she kissed me.

Mana: That's right.

Anna: And the twins wanted to do a little gag bit for us.

Pamela: And Mukuro was cooking more food. That's why she was too busy to train with me.

Marion: And Yoshino was helping.

Rosetta: Natsumi, too.

Kurumi: Mm-hmm.

Mia: But what was Shido and Mana's role in all this?

Mana: Just to keep our mouths shut about it.

Layla: You did all this, just for us?

Kurumi: We wanted to prove to you that we're more than just backup support against the Treacherous Ten. We're also your friends.

Layla: Gee. I guess we did kinda take you for granted.

Kurumi: But you know, I didn't do so well against Scorch, anyway. And, May, killing her on your own the way you did to save me-- That took a lot of guts.

May: Kurumi...

Kurumi: You proved to yourself and to your team that you don't always need our help to beat the Treacherous Ten.

May: We're so sorry, Kurumi.

[She and Kurumi embrace]

Layla: I'm guessing Fearbat kidnapped the other Spirit Soldiers because they think we can't win without them.

Sora: If that's true, once they find out what May did to Scorch, they'll be so pissed and lose focus.

Kurumi: Even so, we still gotta get the rest of my team back.

Mana: I'll contact the Fraxinus.

[Back at the freezer in the Chinese restaurant, Shido and the remaining Spirits look around; Tohka opens a crate full of frozen squid]

Tohka: Ugh! Who needs squid?

[She suddenly looks at the lid]

Tohka: Wait a minute! They screwed up! Guys, check it out! Wo Hop Chinese Restaurant! The address is 17 Mott St.! We know where we are!

[The others cheer for a moment]

Origami: But how can we relay this news without our Spirit Braces?

Nia: Anybody have a smartphone?

Mukuro: I left mine in the kitchen when I was called to the roof.

Yoshino: So did I.

[The others shake their heads]

Shido: Sorry, Nia.

Nia: That's too bad, boy. [walks up to a wall and points at the telephone line] What good will this telephone line do?

Origami: Wait a second, Nia. We could always send them a code or something.

Nia: Hmm... I don't see why not. If we only had a device to--

[She suddenly notices an old touch tone telephone (with no receiver) in a nearby wastebasket; she takes it out]

Tohka: An old phone? With no receiver?

Origami: I think she might be onto something.

Nia: I am. All I have to do is connect it to the phone line, then I can send a message.

[She connects the phone to the line, then hooks it to an electronic probe]

Nia: Okay. We're connected. [dials the warehouse's number] (212) 000-2263.

Miku: But how can we get in touch without a receiver?

Nia: It's like Origamin said, we send a code.

[The red light on the probe blinks repeatedly]

Nia: It's ringing.

Shido: But what if nobody's home?

Nia: Do they have an answering machine?

Shido: Yes.

[Cut to the warehouse; the main phone rings, but no one is responding; the answering machine beeps]

Brittany: [on machine] Please leave a message at the beep.

[BEEP!]

[Cut back to the freezer; the light on Nia's probe stops blinking and stays lit]

Nia: Okay. Address, Tohka?

Tohka: Wo Hop, 17 Mott Street.

Nia: Got it.

[She presses the number buttons on the keypad as follows:
9-6 4-6-7 1-7 6-6-8-8 7-8-7-3-3-8 6-4-2 4-6-6-5-6-8]

[Back at the Nickar, Tomahawk, Myaza, Fearbat, and Talon gather in their quarters]

Tomahawk: Nice work, ladies. All we have to do is capture Spirit Soldier Black and Takamiya, then the Gladiators are doomed.

Fearbat: Scorch has the upper hand.

LN: [enters] Correction. She had the upper hand, until the Demon Blader interfered and destroyed her on her own.

Tomahawk, Myaza, Fearbat, and Talon: SHE WHAT?!

LN: You were fools to believe the Gladiators would rely on the Spirit Soldiers for help against you!

Tomahawk: It wasn't all our fault, Lady LN!

Talon: Take it up with Myaza! It was her plan!

Myaza: Oh, please! How the hell was I supposed to anticipate that?

Fearbat: Oh, it doesn't matter. At least I didn't imprison the Spirit Soldiers for nothing.

LN: I want them kept wherever you trapped them until the Gladiators, the Spider Riders, the Crystal Exceeds, and the Cosmo Cats are eliminated. I want to make sure no one gets in the way when Master Westcott destroys the Spirit Soldiers and the traitor himself. Fearbat, your job is to keep that location under guard. The rest of you, formulate another plan.

Tomahawk, Myaza, Fearbat, and Talon: Yes, ma'am!

[Fearbat vanishes; LN exits the room]

[132 Madison Street, 4:00pm]

[Brittany walks up to the answering machine]

Brittany: A message?

[She presses the play button]

Answering machine: You have one new message from unknown number.

[The touch tones Nia played are heard in the message]

Brittany: What the--?

[Mia walks up to her]

Mia: What is it, Brittany?

Brittany: Someone just sent us this ridiculous message. Nothing but touch tones. Who would wanna send us an ordinary telephone message?

Mia: Wait a second. Could you play that message back?

Brittany: [replays the message] What for?

Mia: Listen.

[The tones are heard again]

Brittany: What's the point?

Mia: I'd like to think those tones mean something.

Brittany: Like what?

Mia: [walks up to the blackboard] Play back those tones for me so I can write them down, please, but pause after each tone for a few seconds.

Brittany: [replays the message] Okay.

[The first tone is heard before Brittany pauses; Mia writes 9 on the board; Brittany then plays the second tone, then pauses; Mia writes 6; after each tone, Brittany pauses while Mia writes the appropriate number, until she has written a number for every tone]

Mia: 9-6 4-6-7 1-7 6-6-8-8 7-8-7-3-3-8 6-4-2 4-6-6-5-6-8. Much too long to be a phone number. Plus, needless to say, there's no 964 area code in the United States. As to why there are gaps in this sequence, there was a long pause in between some numbers. There was a two-second pause between the first 6 and the 4, one between the first 7 and the 1, one between the second 7 and the third 6, et cetera.

Brittany: But what if each number stands for a letter of the alphabet like on a phone's keypad?

Mia: Yeah. Every key has three corresponding letters. Except the 7 and 9. They each have four.

Brittany: And 0, 1, the pound sign, and the asterisk have none. But then how do you explain the 1 in the sequence?

Mia: Good question. But let's try and decipher the others first. [writes down the corresponding letters beneath each number except the 1] Of course, this could mean millions of different combinations. However, take the corresponding letters to the first two numbers for example. W-X-Y-Z for 9, M-N-O for 6. There are 12 conceivable combinations, or so we think, because there's not an actual two-letter word in the English language that uses the combinations: W-M, W-N, X-M, X-N, X-O, Y-M, Y-N, Z-M, or Z-N, or Z-O.

Brittany: So right away, unless we're looking for abbreviations, that takes away 10 out of 12.

Mia: Which cuts the number of combinations using the whole sequence to less than a sixth of it. But back to the first word-- We've either got W-O: Wo, or Y-O: Yo. Now for the second word. 4-6-7. G-H-I for 4, M-N-O for 6, P-Q-R-S for 7.

Brittany: We can eliminate all three-letter combinations that end with Q. The only three-letter word that ends with Q is suq, and there's no S or U corresponding to 4 or 6.

Mia: Yeah, but I'm positive there's only one word that fits this: [writes lines connecting H-O-P] "H-O-P". "Hop". I think we might be getting somewhere.

[She Googles "wo hop" on her iPhone]

Mia: Wo Hop. A Chinese restaurant!

Brittany: Wo Hop?

Mia: And the rest of the sequence represents the restaurant's address! [writes lines connecting the appropriate letters] 17 Mott Street!

Brittany: Way to go, Mia! But who would wanna send you a message to go to a Chinese restaurant?

Mia: That's where the last two sets of numbers in the sequence come into play.

[Jeanette comes out of the room]

Jeanette: Hey, you two. Any news on finding the Spirit Soldiers?

Mia: Hey, Jeanette. We're trying, but right now, we've got a number sequence to decipher.

Brittany: See, we got a message on our answering machine with a sequence of dial tones, and I'm certain it must mean something.

Jeanette: [looks at the sequence on the blackboard] Hmm. Wo Hop, 17 Mott Street. Who'd want you to go there?

Brittany: That's why we're trying to decipher the last two number sets in the sequence. Maybe it might tell us who.

Mia: 6-4-2. What do you think it means?

Jeanette: Well, it could mean one of 27 different words. Or so we think. The best two I can think of are M-I-A: "Mia", or N-I-A, "Nia".

Mia: You know, there's also "mib", "mic", and "nib".

Jeanette: But what about the last word in the sequence? 4-6-6-5-6-8. There's not a single word in the dictionary that uses these letters in that sequence.

Mia: Well, who's to say we didn't try?

Jeanette: It may not be a word, but it is a name, and I know of only one name using that sequence. [writes lines connecting to the appropriate letters] H-O-N-J-O-U. Honjou.

Brittany: Honjou? But that means--

Mia: Nia Honjou!

Jeanette: Exactly! That message must be from Nia, telling us where she and the other Spirit Soldiers are being held prisoner!

Brittany: Guys! We found them!

[The rest of the gang comes out of the room]

Layla: Where are they?

Mia: At a Chinese restaurant! [points at the blackboard] There's the address and the one who sent us the message.

Kurumi: [notices] Good thinking, Nia.

Brittany: I'll go get them. The rest of you, stay behind, just in case.

Kurumi: I'll go with you.

Mana: Me, too.

May: Not in your condition, you're not.

Brittany: I'll take my Kaleido Cycle there. If that fails, I'll just fly.

Sora: [hands Brittany a metal case containing the Spirit Braces] They'll need these.

Brittany: Thanks, Sora.

[She heads out the door]

Jeanette: Good luck, Brittany.

Kurumi: I hope she knows what she's doing.

Mana: More importantly, I hope she can save my brother and the others.

[Mott Street, 4:10pm]

[Brittany (in uniform) enters the street, riding her Kaleido Cycle; she finally reaches the restaurant, but Fearbat is guarding the front door]

Brittany: I should've known there'd be company.

Fearbat: As I figured, a Gladiator comes to the rescue. But I never thought it'd be you of all Gladiators, Dove of Dreams.

Brittany: [whips out her YumeBlade] Release the Spirit Soldiers, Fearbat!

Fearbat: [whips out her pike] Never!

[She and Brittany engage in combat]

[Back in the freezer, Shido and the rest of the Spirits shiver; Yoshino sneezes]

Tohka: Bless you.

Yoshino: Th-th-thank you. Boy, I miss being a Spirit. I used to handle the c-c-c-cold.

Yoshinon: I'll s-s-s-say. Anybody g-g-g-g-g-got any lighters?

Origami: Smoking is p-p-p-p-prohibited at this r-r-r-r-r-restaurant, so we can't use l-l-l-lighters.

Kaguya: W-w-w-w-what about h-h-heaters?

Yamai: D-d-d-d-debunk. We're in a f-f-f-f-freezer.

Natsumi: No h-h-h-heaters allowed.

Tohka: [holds Yoshino close] Here, Yoshino. This should keep us both warm.

Shido: [takes off his hoodie and wraps it around the two] It's gonna take more than that to warm you up.

Yoshino: But, Shido, what about you?

Origami: I'll handle this.

[She unzips her hoodie and is about to take off her shirt]

Shido: What the hell, Origami?! In a freezer?!

Origami: If we warm each other with our bodies, we'll stay warm.

Shido: I know that! But seriously! We can't do that in a restaurant's freezer!

Miku: [about to take off her shirt] Fearbat said the place was closed today. So why not?

Nia: All right, then. [takes off her hoodie] I want in on this, too, boy.

Kotori: All of you, put your shirts back on! Save it for when we get back to the warehouse.

Origami, Miku, and Nia: [put their shirts back on] Sorry.

[All 11 get closer together in an embrace]

Tohka: This is the best we can do. At least for now.

Shido: I just hope someone got Nia's message.

Mukuro: I don't c-c-c-c-c-care whom, so long as we get out of here.

[Back outside the restaurant, the fight between Brittany and Fearbat continues]

Fearbat: The Spirit Soldiers are a property of Master Westcott!

Brittany: Not on your life, nor his!

[She strikes Fearbat w/her blade]

Brittany: [inputs a code on her Kaleido Booster] 9-9-4! Laser Lance!

[The VR Laser Lance appears in her left hand; she strikes Fearbat w/both weapons; Fearbat strikes her back w/her pike]

Fearbat: Sonic Shockwave!

[She unleashes loud shockwaves upon Brittany, hitting her; the lance vanishes]

Brittany: [inputs another code] 0-1-1! Come to me, Hien!

[Ikaruga's sword Hien appears in her left hand]

Fearbat: What the hell is that?!

Brittany: A little gift from a shinobi friend of mine. Secret Ninja Art: Flying Swallow Phoenix Flash - Style One!

[She swiftly slashes Fearbat w/Hien and her own blade; Hien vanishes]

Brittany: There's more. [inputs another code] 4-1-0! Metatron! Artelif!

[Origami's Angel Metatron appears, and its pillars take on a cannon formation and fire a beam of pure light at Fearbat, who intercepts with her wings]

Fearbat: You think you can harness even a fraction of the power of a Spirit's Angel?! Some Gladiator!

Brittany: [energizes her YumeBlade] YumeBlade, Lightning Barrage!

[She raises her blade to the sky; it fires a mauve blast at the sky, which fires mauve bolts of lightning at the ground towards Fearbat's wings, causing the blast from Artelif to break through and hit Fearbat hard; Fearbat, her visor cracked, hits the ground]

Brittany: I'll finish you later.

[She rushes into the restaurant]

[Back in the freezer, Shido and the Spirits are starting to freeze; they pry messages out of fortune cookies]

Miku: [reads one] "Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends, but the quality of your friends."

Kotori: I like this one. [reads one] "The warmth in your heart fills others' with joy."

Shido: [reads one] "Opportunity will soon knock. When it does, answer the door."

[The door opens]

Brittany: Guys! I got your message! You all okay?

Origami: B-B-B-B-Brittany.

[She and her group walk out of the freezer, then follow Brittany outside]

Tohka: What took you so long, Brittany? We were freezing our--

Brittany: [points at the unconscious Fearbat] She held me up.

Shido: Fearbat. Brittany, are Mana and Kurumi okay?

Brittany: Yep. A few bruises and cuts, but nothing serious. [hands everyone back their Spirit Braces] Too bad the same can't be said for Scorch. May slayed her good.

Kotori: What about the rest of your team? Where are they?

Brittany: We couldn't take chances the rest of the Treacherous Ten would pull that same stunt on us again. That's why I went after you alone.

Fearbat: [gets back on her feet] A terrible mistake on your part, Dove of Dreams. Now you'll pay the price for taking away Master Westcott's prize!

[She mutates into a more monstrous form, then gets struck by the Giga Beam and grows giant-sized]

Brittany: You Spirit Soldiers need to thaw out. Leave Fearbat to me. Mega Armor, activate!

[She assumes Mega Mode]

Mukuro: Isn't that dangerous, going up against a giant?

Shido: Wouldn't it make more sense to summon the MechaDove?

Origami: Without the other Gladiators, the MechaDove won't be enough. Besides, from all the battles in which I've seen her, Brittany's Mega Mode is more powerful. Leave this battle to her.

Tohka: Get her, Brittany! Kick her giant ass!

[Dove of Dreams is heard in the background]

[Fearbat fires red beams from her eyes at Brittany; Brittany shields herself w/her shield, but gets pushed back]

Fearbat: You miserable mini-'munk! Fighting you should be easier than killing a rodent!

Brittany: Enviro-Cannons!

[She fires blasts from her cannons at Fearbat]

Fearbat: [spins her pike to repel the blasts] Don't think I'm not prepared for that!

Brittany: [tosses a Pokéball] Then are you prepared for this?!

[Out of the ball comes her Blaziken]

Blaziken: Blaziken!

Fearbat: What?! A Pokémon?!

Brittany: You and your team only tapped into our minds to learn our moves as Gladiators. But I'm the only Gladiator who carries Pokémon, something your team could never figure out. Blaziken, Flamethrower!

[Blaziken fires Flamethrower at Fearbat, hitting her]

Brittany: And that's not all! [whistles]

[Lunamon appears]

Lunamon: I'm ready, Brittany!

Fearbat: A Digimon, too?!

Brittany: [whips out her Digivice] Let's take her out, Lunamon!

[Her Digivice empowers Lunamon]

Lunamon: Lunamon, Warp-Digivolve to...!

[She Warp-Digivolves into...]

Dianamon: Dianamon!

[She grows giant-sized]

Dianamon: I'm also capable of enlarging myself.

Fearbat: [strikes Dianamon w/her pike] You're such a nuisance!

Dianamon: [fires an arrow] Arrow of Artemis!

[Fearbat gets struck through the chest]

Dianamon: Time for a little nap. Goodnight Moon!

[The Goodnight Sisters on her legs emit lunar light upon Fearbat, causing her to feel drowsy]

Dianamon: Go for it, Brittany!

Brittany: [takes to the sky] Thanks!

[Her blade glows]

Brittany: Mega YumeBlade, Mega Dream Strike!

[She bisects Fearbat hard w/her blade; Fearbat suddenly snaps out of her drowsiness and screams]

Fearbat: [splits in half] Damn you! DAMN YOU ALL!!!

[She engulfs in a massive explosion; after the smoke clears, only her chip is left]

Brittany: Nighty-night, Fearbat!

[She slices the chip in half w/her blade, destroying it; Dianamon reverts to her original size and de-Digivolves back into Lunamon; she and Blaziken walk up to Brittany, who reverts to normal]

Brittany: Another Treacherous Ten Demonoid down. Thanks, guys.

[She, Lunamon, and Blaziken bump fists; Brittany recalls Blaziken; Shido's group approaches]

Origami: Nice work, Brittany.

[She and Brittany shake hands]

Brittany: Thanks. Hey, Origami, I know I was a little upset this morning when you didn't show up for training, but can you...?

Origami: All is forgiven. What are friends for?

Brittany: [to the others] And you guys, on behalf of the Gladiators, I just wanna say I'm sorry if we all took you for granted.

Tohka: [pats Brittany on the head] Don't worry about it. Today, you and May proved that you don't always need us to beat the Treacherous Ten.

Shido: Just know that no one team is more important than another.

Brittany: I understand. It won't happen again. C'mon. Let's go home.

[Back at the Nickar, Tomahawk has seen it all]

Tomahawk: That's the last straw. Gladiators, I promise you that the destruction of the other seven members of my team will be the catalyst for your doom.

[Myaza and Talon enter]

Myaza: I got it! I finally got it!

Tomahawk: What do you want?!

Myaza: Tablet.

[Talon whips out LN's tablet]

Tomahawk: Guys, that's LN's tablet!

Talon: She won't mind. [looks up Kaleido Stage] Look at this.

Tomahawk: Kaleido Stage.

Myaza: The very stage where Gladiators perform when they're not fighting crime.

Tomahawk: You want us to destroy it?

Myaza: No! The Gladiators are sure to protect it when they find out. But you know, there's gonna be a big Kaleido Stage show at Radio City Music Hall next week. A whole week's worth of performances.

Tomahawk: What does a show have to do with this?

Myaza: Just you wait, Tomahawk. [snickers]

[132 Madison Street, 7:00pm]

[Shido's group heads for the storage room; it's dark]

Tohka: Jeez, it's dark in here.

Kotori: Hello? Anyone home?

Shido: Origami, are you sure Brittany said to meet here?

Origami: Yes, Shido. I'm positive.

Kurumi: Did someone screw up again?

[The lights come back on; the storage room is decorated (now with a new banner: "To Shido Itsuka and company. Thank you, friends!"); Layla's group (including the Chipettes) comes out of their hiding places and pop party poppers]

Layla's group: SURPRISE!

Yoshino: "To Shido Itsuka and company"?

Yoshinon: "Thank you, friends"?

Kaguya: Damn, that's really somethin'.

Yuzuru: Agreement. [sniffs] I think I might cry.

Brittany: Earlier, we found out you guys planned us a party.

May: But the truth is, you're the ones who deserve this party.

Layla: We may forget to say it, but you're great friends.

Sora: And we owe you a lot for helping us against the Treacherous Ten.

Pamela: It's thanks to your initiative that there's now only three left to beat.

Mukuro: Pamela,...

Kotori: C'mon! What're we all just standing here for?

Sora and Kotori: Let's party!

[They hi-five]

[During the party, Rosetta and Natsumi perform a diabolo routine; Anna confers with the Yamai twins]

Kaguya: A caterpillar?

Anna: It's one of my favorite acts.

Yuzuru: Question: Why do you want us to do it with you?

Anna: Unfortunately, Ken's sick today. But I'm sure I can squeeze you two in. And I've got a couple of friends to help you out.

[She claps twice; entering the storage room are her two friends Barbara and Hannah]

Anna: Kaguya, Yuzuru, meet Barbara and Hannah, my clown team.

Barbara: It's a pleasure.

Hannah: Nice to meet you two.

Kaguya: [shakes hands with Barbara] Ditto.

Yuzuru: [shakes hands with Hannah] Likewise.

Hannah: [quietly] Anna, are you sure about these two?

Barbara: [quietly] Yeah, I mean, we've never done our caterpillar routine with more than four.

Anna: You just have to trust these two. C'mon, ladies.

[She, her clown team, and the twins exit the room]

Shido: What are Anna and the twins up to? And who are those other two girls?

Brittany: They're Anna's clown team: Hannah and Barbara. And I'm sure they're doing what I think they're doing.

[A bit later, Anna, the twins, and the clown team, dressed as a 10-legged caterpillar, crawl into the room]

Anna: Cater...

Kaguya: ...pillar.

Yuzuru: ...pillar.

[They turn around to face the rest of the gang; Anna's head is the first to pop out; the gang laughs and applauds]

Anna: Let's do it, ladies!

[The caterpillar formation rolls, then stands up like a centipede; the five parts then split up and pose triumphantly; the gang applauds]

Kaguya: Man, that was embarrassing.

Yuzuru: Agreement. But it was also quite fun.

Barbara: Aw, don't worry, you two.

Hannah: After a while, you'll get used to it.

Anna: Ken found that out the hard way.

[A bit later, Layla and Sora turn to Shido's group]

Layla: Before I forget, I wanted to give you this.

[She hands Tohka an envelope; Tohka opens it; inside are 13 backstage passes]

Tohka: Are these...?

Sora: You're all invited to attend opening night to our special Kaleido Stage production of Swan Lake at Radio City Music Hall. Backstage!

[Tohka bursts into tears of joy]

Shido: I've always wanted to see one of your shows!

Mana: Yeah, me, too!

Kotori: But at Radio City Music Hall, of all places?!

Sora: Yuri and Kalos thought they'd follow Theatrical Camp's example and travel. And you're all invited to the pre-show party the night before.

Layla: Mia and I will be co-directing the show with my friend Cathy Taymor. You're gonna love it. I promise.

Tohka: Thank you, Layla.

[She and Layla embrace]

Tohka: You won't regret it.

[After the credits, late that night, in Shido's group's room, Shido is in bed with Origami, Nia, and Miku (all of whom are naked whilst Shido is just not wearing a shirt); Origami wakes up, puts on a button-up shirt, grabs her smartphone, and heads into the bathroom, unaware that Tohka has already woken up and is watching; she makes a call to one named Karen]

Origami: Hi, Karen. Yeah, I know it's late, but-- Oh? Hi, Chiyo. Mommy and Daddy really miss you, sweetie. Don't worry. We'll be home before you know it. Be a good girl with Karen, okay? Bye-bye. Thank you, Karen. [sighs] The others are going to have to find out sooner or later.

[Outside the bathroom, Tohka has overheard everything]

Origami: I know we all agreed to this, but I know how Tohka gets. Okay. Good night.

[Tohka is teary-eyed; she walks back into bed just before Origami comes out of the bathroom; Origami takes off her shirt and climbs back into Shido's bed]

Tohka: [in her mind] Why, Shido? Why didn't you say something?

[Fade to black]

[Clips from the next side-fic are shown]

Zuzu: Boy, look at all those guests!

Miku: I actually envy you, Zuzu.

Zuzu: Why would you envy me? I'm not a member of Kaleido Stage.

Miku: Oh.

Layla: But what do the Treacherous Ten-- I mean, Three, want with our friends and family?

Sora: Next time on ACME Crime Net: The Amazing Challenge Part 1: Abduction. Vigilance, dedication, courage! My wings are my dream and on toward the sky!

Last edited by TVLubber (2/19/2024 3:04 pm)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

Board footera