ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2023 10:54 pm  #1

Side-Fic 357: Gamer Grounds

Rated TV-14 (DLSV)

Maya: Hi, everyone! It's Maya again! Once more, sit as far away from the monitor as you can, and turn the lights on in your room. Here we go!

Narrator: In New York City's fight against crime, the dedicated detectives who pursue the most vicious criminals are members of an elite unit known as ACME Crime Net.

[Chelsea Studios, Saturday, November 23rd, 5:59pm]

[The Chipmunks, the Chipettes, Shido's group, Kio's group, and the guests from Akane Academy are in the audience]

Eris: So, what's all this about?

Sophie: Only one of the hottest new local game shows in New York: Gamer Grounds. It's almost like Nick Arcade and Starcade, but with a different twist.

Alvin: Shh! It's starting!

Announcer: From New York City, one of these glamorous gamers in the studio tonight could walk away with thousands of dollars in cash and prizes. Hope your thumbs are 100%, cause here comes... Gamer Grounds!

[The crowd applauds]

Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, Matt Richards!

[The crowd applauds; Matt Richards himself takes the stage]

Matt: Thank you, folks! Money-flippin' Matt Richards here with the latest video arcade game show: Gamer Grounds. Just takin' some time off of HQ Trivia to bring you this wild and crazy competition. Now, before the show, everyone in the studio audience has been interviewed, but none of 'em know who's gonna be called down to play. [walks up to a cage of bingo balls] Everyone has a bingo ball on hand, and the four whose ball numbers match the four that come out will come on stage for our big game. [rolls the cage] Here we go!

[Out of the cage comes the first ball:]

Matt: O-71!

[One audience member excitedly holds his ball up with the same number and takes the stage]

Matt: Glad to have you here. Name, please?

Kane: Kane.

Matt: Welcome to the show, Kane. [rolls the cage again] Now for our next player.

[Out of the cage comes:]

Matt: N-39!

[Another audience member holds up her ball with the same number and joins Kane on stage]

Matt: All righty. Name?

Opal: Opal.

Matt: Opal. Sweet name. Good luck to you tonight. [rolls the cage again] Still need two more players.

Matt: G-54!

[Mai (also in the audience, with Ai and Mii) screams excitedly and runs to the stage; she shows Matt her ball]

Matt: Mm-hmm. Perfect match. Good to see you,...

Mai: Mai. I've always wanted to be on a game show.

Matt: Well, this is your lucky night. [rolls the cage once more] Now for our fourth and final player.

Matt: B-14!

[Everyone in the audience looks at their bingo balls; some groan in disappointment]

Matt: Anyone at all?

[Maya notices Sophie's ball with the number B-14]

Maya: Sophie, that's you!

Sophie: Me?!

Maya: Go! Go! Go!

[Sophie runs to the stage and shows Matt her ball]

Matt: It's a match!

Sophie: It's an honor to be here, Matt. My name's...

Matt: Sophie. I overheard your name. Anyways, good luck to all four of you. Take your places at our podiums.

[The four players take their places at the podiums]

Matt: Well, we have our four contestants: Kane, Opal, Mai, and Sophie. Before we start the game, let's get to know 'em real quickly. Kane?

Kane: My name's Kane Knowles, I'm 22 years old, and I'm currently attending NYU.

Matt: Thank you, Kane. How 'bout you, Opal?

Opal: Opal Witz, 23, and I make a living as a waitress.

Matt: Good to know, Opal. Thanks. Mai?

Mai: I'm Mai Hazakura, I'm 20, and I'm attending college in Japan. I'm here in New York studying this country with friends.

Matt: Mm-hmm. Thanks a lot, Mai. And finally, Sophie?

Sophie: My name's Sophia Mertesacker, but my friends call me Sophie. I'm 21, and although I live in Japan, I was born here in Manhattan. I'm here with friends for the holidays. I'm also a graduate student of Akane Academy.

Matt: Woo! Real fine school, Sophie. Good to hear. Thanks a bunch. All righty. Now, I hope y'all brought you knowledge of gaming with you tonight, 'cause that's what our first round is all about. On that monitor, we have five video game-related categories:

Development,
Mascots,
The 80s,
Shmups,
and Online.

Now, let's start each of you off with $500.

[Each player's score starts at $500.00]

Matt: But before we pick a category, here's an opening question worth $50 and the right to pick the first category.

[The first question is shown on the monitor]

Matt: I'm the video game console that debuted in 1993 and was distributed by Panasonic.

[Opal buzzes in]

Matt: Opal.

Opal: 3DO?

Matt: That's right, and we add $50 to your score.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Kane: $500
Opal: $550
Mai: $500
Sophie: $500]

Matt: Now, once you pick a category, you'll be shown a randomizer that'll show numbers between 2 and 5. Hit your buzzer, and whatever number it hits, that's how many questions you must answer out of five. Each correct answer gives you $100, but if you complete the contract, we'll add an extra $500. If you miss enough questions that you can't complete the contract, I'm gonna give the other players a chance to finish it for $250. But to help you add to your score, one of those categories is the Achievement category, the most difficult in the opinion of our producers, thereby doubling the dollar amounts for that category. Opal, you got the toss-up question, so you start.

Opal: Let's go with Shmups.

Matt: Okay. Shmups. All about shoot 'em up games. Hit that buzzer to stop the randomizer so we can see how many questions you must get.

[Opal hits her buzzer, stopping the randomizer at 3]

Matt: The contract is 3. First question: I'm the title of the 1981 Namco--

Opal: Galaga.

Matt: Didn't need to wait. You got it.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Opal: $650

Matt: Need two more, and we have four questions left. Question 2: I'm the guy who designed the very first fixed shooter in video game history.

Opal: [cringes] Toughie.

[BUZZ!]

Matt: Tomohiro Nishikado. He designed Space Invaders. No worries. Still got three left. Question 3: I'm the title of Atari's 1980 fixed shooter designed by Dona Bailey and Ed Logg, in which you control a bug to shoot at a long segmented insect.

Opal: Millipede?

[BUZZ!]

Matt: Nope. You're thinkin' of the sequel to the correct answer: Centipede.

Opal: Oh, I forgot about that game. I mostly played Millipede.

Matt: Mm-hmm. Gotta answer these last two to complete the contract, or your opponents may steal. Question 4: I'm the name of Konami's 1983 shmup where you hear Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Opal: Gyruss.

Matt: That's another 100 for you.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Opal: $750

Matt: Last question. If you're right, you complete the contract and receive an extra $500. If not, your opponents get a chance to finish it for 250. Here we go. In 1983, Atari and Coca-Cola collaborated on me, a game that was never released commercially. Only 125 copies of my game were distributed. I was just a mere clone of Space Invaders.

Opal: Coke Invaders?

[BUZZ!]

Matt: No.

[Sophie buzzes in]

Matt: Sophie.

Sophie: Pepsi Invaders.

Matt: That's right! That gives you $350!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $850]

Matt: Sophie, you have 850 and the lead. You now have control of the board.

Sophie: I'll take Development, Matt.

["Achievement" flashes on the monitor]

Matt: Whoa! You just unlocked the Achievement category! That means that each correct answer here is worth $200, and completing the contract is worth $1,000 for you, or $500 for one of your opponents. Hit that buzzer to see your contract.

[Sophie hits her buzzer; the randomizer stops on 2]

Matt: 2. Not a bad number. Get two outta five, and you'll be up to $2,250. Question 1: I'm the graphics mode that was implemented in Nintendo's Super Famicom/Super NES for games such as Super Mario World and F-Zero.

Sophie: Mode 7.

Matt: Yep.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $1,050]

Matt: Just one more to complete the contract. Question 2: During development of Missile Command, I was the event that inspired designer Dave Theurer to bring this game together.

Sophie: The Cold War.

Matt: That's it! You did it!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $2,250]

Matt: $2,250 and a huge lead after that Achievement category. Your opponents now have their work cut out for 'em. But there's three categories left. Pick one, Sophie.

Sophie: Okay, Matt. The 80s.

Matt: A'ight. This is about video games in the 1980s.

[Sophie hits her buzzer; the contract number is:]

Matt: Four questions. Question 1: In 1984, Nintendo invited me to show off their new boxing game.

Sophie: Larry Holmes.

Matt: That's right.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $2,350]

Matt: Question 2: I'm the Japanese name of Sega's 8-bit home console that was intended to compete with the Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System. I was later given its Western name in Japan: The Master System.

Sophie: Mark III?

Matt: Wonderful!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $2,450]

Matt: Question 3: I'm the title of Namco's massive arcade hit--

Sophie: Pac-Man!

Matt: Didn't bother to wait. Pac-Man's right!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Sophie: $2,550]

Matt: One more, and you got $500 more. If not, it's all up to your opponents. Question 4: I'm the system that was originally intended to be released in 1984, but saw a very limited release in L.A. I wouldn't be distributed nationwide until two years later.

Sophie: [cringes] Trick question. I don't know.

[BUZZ!]

Matt: The Atari 7800. That's okay. Still one question left. Question 5: The video game crash of 1983 was brought on by many factors, including a flood of poor games. I'm one of them, based on a popular Steven Spielberg hit.

Sophie: Hmm. For some reason, the name escapes me. [snaps her fingers] What was it? [groans]

[BUZZ!]

Matt: Time!

[Mai buzzes in]

Matt: Mai.

Mai: E.T.

Matt: That's right!

[The crowd applauds; Sophie facepalms]

[SCORE:
Mai: $850

Matt: You got $100 for the correct answer and $250 for finishing the contract. Sophie, you looked as if you had it.

Sophie: It just came back to me.

Matt: Well, no sense in beatin' yourself up about it. You're still in the lead. Mai, pick your category.

Mai: Online Gaming, Matt.

Matt: 'Kay. Hit that buzzer and let's see your contract number.

[Mai hits her buzzer; her contract number is:]

Matt: 5! You gotta get all five of these in order to score $500 and keep control. Question 1: I'm the title of the MMORPG set in Azeroth.

Mai: World of Warcraft.

Matt: Bingo!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $950

Matt: I'm the company that released the online RPG Phantasy Star Online.

Mai: SEGA!

Matt: SEGA!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $1,050

Matt: You do a mean Sega scream, Mai. Question 3: Speaking of Sega, I'm the name of the company that teamed up with Sega to create games for a modem for the Mega Drive in Japan. It didn't go well.

Mai: Sunsoft?

Matt: Exactly!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $1,150

Matt: 4: Mattel launched PlayCable, an online service where players downloaded games for play on me, Mattel's console.

Mai: Intellivision.

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $1,250

Matt: You're killin' it. Killin' it. Last question: I'm the name of the very first online game in the Final Fantasy franchise, released in 2002.

Mai: 11?

Matt: Final Fantasy XI. Close enough! You completed the contract, Mai!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $1,850

Matt: You're $700 behind Sophie, but you still have control of our final category, Mascots. Hit that buzzer whenever you're ready.

[Mai hits her buzzer; the contract number is 1]

Matt: Wow! Only one question! Okie-dokie. Here's your question. During the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 era, I was the mascot for NEC's 16-bit console.

Mai: Bonk.

Matt: That's right for $600!

[The crowd applauds]

[SCORE:
Mai: $2,450

Matt: You're trailing by only 100, Mai. At the end of this round, Kane still has 500, Opal has 750, Mai has 2,450, and Sophie leads with 2,550. When we return, these four are gonna build on those scores with our elimination round, where they put their video game skills to the test. Stick around!

[The cameraman cuts]

Ai: If Mai wins today, we'll be able to buy plenty of equipment so we can expose the Spirit Soldiers.

Mii: Assuming she'll share her money. But knowing her, I doubt it.

Maya: Wow. I really wish Moroha could be here to see this.

Mari: I'm sure we can ask the studio for a copy of the taping.

Maya: Yeah, but it won't be as fun as seeing it in person.

[Mari pats her sister on the head]

Brittany: So what game are they gonna play today?

Kio: I heard it's an old 1980s arcade game.

Alvin: I'll bet it's a shmup.

Tohka: What I would give to compete on this show.

Shido: With Demonoid activity running rampant these days, it's not so easy finding the time to even make it to the studio.

[Unbeknownst to anyone, the Xia twins are undercover in the audience]

[Neo-DEM HQ, 6:07pm]

Nervadrone: Master, the twins report the Spirit Soldiers and Cosmo Cats are in Chelsea Studios attending a game show taping. One of their friends is competing.

Westcott: This should be fun.

Nervadrone: I've got the perfect new Demonoid to keep them occupied. [snaps her fingers]

[A new Demonoid made from parts of old video game systems and controllers enters]

Nervadrone: Presenting our latest minion sent by Harry and Mr. Higgenbottom: Gamebot.

Gamebot: I am programmed to take control of enemy robots.

Westcott: If that's the case, we'll have you make you bigger right away. Now, get to the city, and don't fail me.

Gamebot: Sire! [vanishes]

[Back at the studio, cameras are rolling again]

Announcer: And now back to Gamer Grounds and Matt Richards!

Matt: Welcome back, everybody, and now it's time for our elimination round. Only the two high-scoring players at the end get to keep their money and move on to the final round. Sophie leads with $2,550, Mai is not far behind with $2,450, Opal trails with 750, and Kane has the 500 he started with. But that's all gonna change in this round, as everyone's gonna have a go at the popular arcade game Asteroids. Each player has 30 seconds to maneuver their ship and shoot down as asteroids and passing UFOs as possible. Whatever you score in this game, you get 50 cents a point. In the end, we'll combine the scores with your scores from the first round, and as I said earlier, the two with the highest scores keep their money and will proceed to the final round. Kane, you're trailing, so you start.

[Kane steps up to the arcade cabinet]

Matt: Now, remember, Kane, be careful you don't get hit, or you'll lose a life. Get a game over, you lose, and that could give the others an advantage. We don't want that to happen. Hands on the controls.

[Kane takes the controls]

Matt: On your mark, get set, play!

[The 30-second clock starts ticking as Kane starts shooting down enemy asteroids]

[Back in the audience, the gang watches]

Brittany: Look at him. He doesn't stand a chance. He's so far behind, and his skills pale in comparison to even Mai's.

Origami: May I ask who you're siding with?

Brittany: Sophie, of course, but I know even Mai can beat this dud.

Maya: I just hope both of them make it to the final round. It makes for a more fun competition.

[Shido's Spirit Brace beeps]

Shido: [responds] Go, but keep quiet. We're in a TV studio.

Ellen: [quietly] There's a giant Demonoid loose in the city. The Sephira Voyagers and Sephira Racer are ready for action.

Shido: Right. I'll get the others.

[Tohka is fixated on the gameplay]

Shido: [taps Tohka's shoulder] Tohka.

Tohka: Just a sec, Shido. Can you imagine how cool that old game is?

Shido: [points at his Spirit Brace] Tohka, Demonoid attack. Gotta go.

Tohka: [sighs] They always know how to spoil our fun.

[Shido's group gets out of their seats and leaves]

Kio: Where are you guys going?

Shido: Emergency in the city.

Aoi: Probably a Demonoid. We'll stand by.

[Shido nods and leads his group outside]

Matt: Time's up! Not a bad play, Kane. 1,900 points. Opal, let's see how well you do.

[Kane returns to his podium; Opal takes his place]

[Meanwhile, in the city, Gamebot is on the rampage]

Gamebot: Only a matter of time before the Spirit Soldiers arrive.

[Suddenly, the Sephira Voyagers and Sephira Racer enter the scene]

[Cut to the Sephira Racer's cockpit w/Spirit Soldier Silver]

Mana: No need to wait long!

[Cut to the cockpit of Sephira Voyager Gold w/Spirit Soldier Gold]

Shido: Westcott's quite quick to send giant Demonoids.

[Cut to the cockpit of Sephira Voyager Violet w/Spirit Soldier Violet]

Tohka: Big deal. He's gonna pay for ruining my fun! I was watching a game show, in person!

[Cut back to the city]

Gamebot: Big deal! You'll lose more than that when I, Gamebot, am done with you!

[His arms are designed nearly similar to Mattel's NES Power Glove; he inputs a code on his left arm, then points it at six of the Sephira Voyagers (Gold, White, Blue, Red, Fuchsia, and Violet), stopping them in their tracks]

Gamebot: Now this is gaming!

[He pushes the D-Pad on his right arm, forcing the six Sephira Voyagers to turn around towards the Sephira Racer and the other five]

Shido: Mana, get outta the way!

Gamebot: [pushes the B button on his left controller arm] Fire lasers!

[The possessed Sephira Voyagers fire upon the other mecha, who dodge]

Kotori: Something's not right! My controls aren't working!

Miku: Neither are mine!

Origami: Gamebot must be controlling our voyagers like he's playing a video game.

Gamebot: Oh, this is nothing.

[He flips a turbo switch on his left arm, then pushes the B button again; the possessed Sephira Voyagers fire lasers more rapidly, hitting the other five; the five hit the ground; the Spirit Soldiers on board fall out of the cockpits, until the Sephira Racer converts to Battle Formation and catches them]

Mana: Hop in, guys!

[Cut to the Sephira Racer's cockpit; Spirit Soldiers Gray, Black, Yellow, Green, and the Orange twins join Mana]

Kurumi: This Demonoid-- How the hell can he control our mecha like that?!

Natsumi: His arms-- They look like video game controllers!

Nia: Probably copying the NES Power Glove.

Mana: We gotta get my brother and the others outta there!

Kaguya: But we can't destroy the other voyagers!

Yuzuru: Agreement. Those are our own mecha!

Mukuro: But we can't just stand here!

[Cut back outside]

Gamebot: Time for a real fight! [inputs a code] Sephira Voyagers, combine!

[The possessed Sephira Voyagers combine to form the Sephira Robo]

Gamebot: [inputs another code] Sephira Robo, break out your saber!

[The Sephira Robo's saber appears]

Mana: Sephira Racer saber!

[The Sephira Racer gets equipped with its saber; both mecha fight]

[Cut to the Sephira Robo's cockpit with Spirit Soldiers Gold, White, Blue, Red, Fuchsia, and Violet struggling with the controls]

Kotori: Gamebot's hold over our mecha is too strong! We have to bail out fast!

Origami: Kotori's right. Maybe while the Sephira Racer keeps the Sephira Robo occupied, we'll give Gamebot a taste of our own weapons.

Yoshino: It's risky, but I agree.

Shido: Let's go, girls!

[The six Spirit Soldiers jump out of the cockpit]

Shido: He may be bigger, but we can still pull off a miracle. Weapons, ready!

[They get equipped with their standard weapons]

Shido: Spirit Knuckles!

[He jumps up high and punches Gamebot in the gut; Gamebot groans]

Gamebot: Little pests! [fiddles with his controllers] Sephira Robo, fire Gungnir Cannons!

[The Sephira Robo fires blasts from its Gungnir Cannons at the Spirit Soldiers on the ground, who dodge]

Tohka: Spirit Saber!

[She jumps up and is about to strike Gamebot, but Gamebot flicks her back with his fingers; Tohka falls]

Miku: Oh, no! Tohka!

Shido: [jumps up and catches Tohka] Tohka, I got you!

Tohka: Shido, thank God!

Miku: Hey, you! That was my threesome partner! I'll teach you to threaten her pregnancy!

[She plays a loud tune on her shamisen, firing loud sound waves at Gamebot, but the Sephira Robo intercepts with its saber, repelling the waves]

Miku: Oh. I forgot, the Sephira Robo saber is immune to sound waves.

Kotori: Yoshino, how 'bout a taste of fire and ice?

Yoshino: [nods] Hmm!

[She fires a blast from her Spirit Axe as Kotori conjures up a fireball with her lance; the ice surrounds the fireball, encasing it; Origami catches it]

Origami: Let me do the honors.

[She hooks up the fire/ice ball to her Spirit Launcher and activates it, embedding it with its Sephira energy]

Origami: FIRE!

[She launches the empowered ball at Gamebot, hitting him]

Gamebot: Try all you want. You're helpless without your Sephira Robo! [inputs another code] Voyager Orange, attach!

[Sephira Voyager Orange splits and attaches to the Sephira Robo's shoulders]

Kaguya: No! Not mode 2!

Yuzuru: Remark. You're a thief!

Gamebot: I do what it takes to beat you! Hrotti Cannons!

[The Sephira Robo's cannons fire blasts at the Sephira Racer, hitting it]

Gamebot: [inputs another code] Now for mode 3!

[Sephira Voyager Black transforms into an ion turbine weapon as a gauntlet, which attaches to the Sephira Robo's left arm]

Kurumi: Mode 3?!

Shido: Watch out for the turbines!

Gamebot: Turbine Supercharge Blast!

[The Sephira Robo's turbines spin; the Sephira Robo fires a charged blast from its cannons at the Sephira Racer, which dodges and strikes the Sephira Robo and Gamebot with its saber]

Gamebot: I'd better take control of that one while I'm at it.

[He inputs control codes and points his left hand at the Sephira Racer, but is unable to control it]

Gamebot: Funny. It didn't affect the Sephira Racer at all.

Shido: Never underestimate the loyalty of a little sister.

Gamebot: In that case, we'll just keep pummeling it until the cockpit's empty! [inputs another code] Mode 4!

[Sephira Voyager Green transforms into a gauntlet with gatling blasters around the wrist and attaches to the Sephira Robo's right arm]

Natsumi: Teach him to use my voyager, Mana!

Mana: No prob! Racer Missile!

[The Sephira Racer fires its missile at GameBot]

Gamebot: Gatling Gauntlet, fire!

[The Sephira Robo fires missiles from its right-arm gauntlet at the Sephira Racer's missile, repelling it]

Gamebot: As long as I control the Sephira Robo, you can't get past me! Give 'em a taste of your saber!

[The Sephira Robo charges at the Sephira Racer with its glowing saber]

Tohka: This calls for the bazooka, guys!

Shido: She's right! Let's bring 'em together!

[The six Spirit Soldiers combine their weapons; they point the Sephira Bazooka at the Sephira Robo]

Shido: Sephira Bazooka!

Kotori: Ready!

Origami: Aim!

Tohka: [points the bazooka at Gamebot] FIRE!

[The Sephira Bazooka fires a massive blast at Gamebot, hitting him hard; the Sephira Robo stops and takes a blow from the Sephira Racer's Sephira Kick]

Gamebot: No fair! Who said you could fake out?!

Shido: You never play fair.

Gamebot: Damn right, I don't! [inputs another code] Time to max out the power! Sephira Ultra Robo, engage!

[The three auxiliary voyagers detach from the Sephira Robo; the other two combine with them to form the Sephira Battle Jet, then combine with the Sephira Robo to form the Sephira Ultra Robo]

Tohka: Aw, now we're screwed.

Shido: I'll send for help.

[Back at the studio, Sophie is about to take her turn at Asteroids]

Matt: Okay, Sophie. Mai's got quite a high score.

Sophie: I know. She's really good.

Matt: But you both look to be in a good position to make the next round.

Sophie: Let's see what happens.

[She takes the controls]

Matt: 30 seconds. Ready, set, play!

[The clock starts; Sophie starts playing; the crowd cheers her on]

Matt: Remember, if a UFO flies by, shoot at it for bonus points.

Sophie: Mm-hmm.

[She continues shooting asteroid after asteroid, narrowly avoiding getting struck]

[Back in the audience, the gang continues cheering Sophie on]

Maya: Go, Sophie! Go!

Mari: Smash those suckers!

Jeanette: Annihilate those asteroids!

[Kio whistles loudly in excitement; his iPhone buzzes]

Kio: Hmm?

[He picks up his phone; he sees he got a text: "Spirit Soldiers need backup! Their mecha are fighting each other!"]

Kio: Uh-oh. Girls, it looks like the Spirit Soldiers need us.

Eris: [notices the text] Mecha fighting each other? That's not a good sign.

Aoi: We gotta get to the ship.

Manami: I'll call the captain.

Antonia: I'll call Yuya.

[The five exit the studio; the buzzer blares]

Matt: Time's up! Sophie, what a score! 2,780 points!

Sophie: I think that's a winner.

Matt: Well, even though it didn't beat Mai's score, it could still put you through to the final round.

[Sophie returns to her podium]

Matt: Now, despite the sudden disappearances of some members of our studio audience, you guys played a great game. Let's recap your scores for this round and convert it to cash. Kane, you scored 1,900 points at 50 cents a point for $950. Opal, you scored 2,700 for $1,350. Mai, you got 3,030 for $1,515. And Sophie, your 2,780 points give you $1,390. Let's add 'em to your scores from the first round and see who's off to the final round.

[FINAL SCORE:
Kane: $1,450
Opal: $2,100
Mai: $3,965
Sophie: $3,940]

Matt: And with nearly $4,000 each, Mai and Sophie are our finalists!

[The crowd cheers and applauds]

[Mai and Sophie shake hands]

Ai: All right, Mai! You go, girl!

Mii: Those other two were so lame.

[Ai nods in agreement]

Matt: Our top two players keep their money and are advancing to our final round. Opal, Kane, sorry things didn't work out for you today, but we have consolation prizes for each of you. When we come back, Sophie and Mai will tackle Tetris for the right to play for a galaxy of cash and prizes!

[Sophie walks up to the gang in the audience]

Sophie: [quietly] Guys, what happened?

Maya: [whispers] There was a Demonoid attacking.

Alvin: The Spirit Soldiers went to stop him, but their mecha became possessed.

Brittany: The Cosmo Cats went to help.

Sophie: Aw, jeez. And just when I made it to the final round.

Mari: Just give it your best shot. You're playing Tetris in the final round, right?

Sophie: Yeah.

Alvin: Then it should be a breeze. Remember watching all those world championships on YouTube and Twitch?

Sophie: Never forgot. Plus, I played Tetris on Game Boy. I think I can do it.

Ai: Oh, you're in for a world of hurt, Sophie. Mai's not only the best gamer in my trio. Back in middle school, she was a Tetris champ. Never topped out to a single opponent.

Sophie: I may have had some top-outs in my day, but I wouldn't go placing any bets if I were you.

Mii: Just get ready to lose, Mertesacker.

[Sophie ignores them, then returns to her podium]

Mai: What were you yakkin' with my friends about?

Sophie: Never mind that. Let's just get our last round over with.

[Mai shrugs]

[Meanwhile, back in the city, Noah Higgenbottom and Harry, standing on top of a building, commentate on the battle between the Sephira Ultra Robo and the Sephira Racer]

Harry: Welcome, folks, to today's main event: The Sephira Ultra Robo vs. the Sephira Racer! So far, both mecha are still on their feet. From what we know so far, Gamebot has no control over the Sephira Racer. Care to comment, Noah?

Noah: It's undoubtedly the fact that Spirit Soldier Silver is still on board.

Harry: Ah, but the other Spirit Soldiers were piloting the voyagers before Gamebot took control of the Sephira Robo components.

Noah: That's one mystery we might be unable to solve.

[The Sephira Racer strikes the Sephira Ultra Robo down with its saber]

Harry: Oh! Down goes the Sephira Ultra Robo!

Gamebot: [taps the A button rapidly] Get up! Get up! Get up!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo gets back on its feet and gets equipped with its spear]

Harry: Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the Sephira Ultra Robo is back in the game!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo strikes the Sephira Racer with its spear, knocking it down]

Harry: And there's the Sephira Ultra Spear! It looks as if the Sephira Racer is going down for the count!

[Cut to the Sephira Racer's cockpit]

Mana: [grabs the controls] Hang on, guys! I'll get us back up soon!

[Outside, the Sephira Racer struggles to get back up]

Gamebot: It's pointless to struggle. Why don't you just...?

[Suddenly, a phaser blast from above strikes him; Gamebot looks up and notices the Cosmo MagnaShip hovering overhead, with the Omega MagnaShip flying right behind]

Harry: Inconceivable! The Cosmo Cats have entered the arena!

[The Cosmo MagnaShip releases Eris' ship and CatiEarth One; all three combine with the Omega MagnaShip to form the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid]

[Cut to the cockpit with all seven Cosmo Cats]

Cosmo Cats: Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid, complete!

Shido: [through intercom] Thanks for the quick response, Eris!

Eris: Don't mention it, Shido.

Yuya: Now let's take down that puppeteering pain in the neck!

[Cut back outside; the Sephira Racer hi-fives the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid]

Harry: And with that tag, it's now a match between the Sephira Ultra Robo and the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid!

Noah: An impressive combination of two mecha, I must say. And for those who started watching today, please note that the Cosmo Cats are now a team of seven.

Harry: But this is all the mecha the team has at the moment.

Gamebot: I'll teach you to interrupt my fight! Attack the MagnaDroid!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo fights the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid]

[Cut to the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid's cockpit]

Kio: This combo can still utilize the Cosmo Cells, right, Captain Qoone?

Qoone: Of course, Kio. [inserts a Cosmo Cell into the controls] Sabers, ready!

[Outside, the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid gets equipped with the Cosmo MagnaDroid sabers; it charges at the Sephira Ultra Robo while the Sephira Racer charges at Gamebot]

Mana: This oughta keep you busy!

[Gamebot kicks the Sephira Racer back]

Gamebot: Attacking me isn't gonna stop this mecha fight!

Mana: Hiding behind our mecha isn't gonna do you any good! Now, stop being a coward and fight us like a robot!

[Cut back to Neo-DEM HQ; Nervadrone watches the fight]

Nervadrone: Now that gives me an idea. Master Westcott, allow me to send in a trio of robots we bought Harry and Noah.

Westcott: Very well, then.

[Back in the city, three more enemy robots (red, green, and blue) appear on the scene]

Gamebot: Ah! The cavalry's here!

Aoi: [growls] I don't know how much more of this we can take!

Kio: We gotta do something to break Gamebot's control before the Spirit Soldiers' mecha destroy each other, and us!

Yuya: I'll contact Brittany!

[Back at the studio, the show is back from commercial break]

Matt: We're back and ready for our final round: The Tetris Round! Our finalists: Sophie and Mai, eliminated their opponents and picked up a ton of money. Mai has won $3,965, and Sophie has won $3,940. Now, here's how the round goes. Each of you starts off with three minutes of gameplay, plus you get some bonus time. Sophie, you were ahead at the end of round 1, so you get an extra 15 seconds. Mai, you picked up the most points in the second round, so you get 15 more seconds. And finally, the player with the highest total score going into this round gets 15 more seconds. Mai, that's you, so you have a total of three minutes and 30 seconds, and Sophie, you start when the clock hits three minutes and 15 seconds. But remember, it's fast fingers on that controller that really makes all the difference in Tetris. Now, c'mon up here, ladies, if you will.

[Sophie and Mai approach him; as Matt continues his discussion, Brittany gets a text on her iPhone: "Outnumbered! Need more backup, fast!"]

Brittany: The Demonoids must be getting desperate. I gotta go, Alvin.

Alvin: You, too?

Brittany: My MechaDove's healing powers might be our last hope.

[She heads out]

Matt: Now, as you can see here, we have two professional video monitors each with an original Nintendo Entertainment System hooked to it. Each system is hooked to splitter devices so that one half is shown on your monitors for you to see so as to reduce input lag. The other half is hooked to HDMI upscalers through long cables, and each upscaler is hooked to one of our big monitors for our audience to see. And to be clear, we're playing Nintendo's Tetris, not the Tengen version with the two-player option that lacked the garbage. Ugh. Anyway, a Tetris is worth big points. You start at level 9, so 12,000 points per Tetris. The player with the most points after the bell rings wins the match and a nickel a point, and will also earn the right to play one final game for $25,000 in cash and prizes!

[The crowd applauds]

Matt: Okay, ladies. Grab your controllers.

[Sophie and Mai each grab a controller]

Matt: The clock is set at three minutes and 30 seconds, and that's when Mai starts. On your mark, get set, GO!

[Mai starts playing; the clock starts]

Announcer: Mai begins with a 15-second lead. Plenty of time to rack up points. Oh, what's wonderful t-spin! Okay, there's her first long bar. That's a key component in scoring a Tetris. Now she's cookin'. But she'd better hurry. Her head start is running short. Look at her piling up those blocks. Okay, here's another long bar. Boom! Tetris for Mai! Just in time, because here comes her competition!

Matt: Two, one, GO, SOPHIE!

[Sophie starts playing; the crowd cheers the two players on]

Announcer: And finally, Sophie starts! She's got a lot of ground to make up and three minutes and 15 seconds to do so. Mai already got one Tetris and is going for a second, but Sophie may catch up. Uh-oh! Mai's having trouble. Not a long bar in sight, and she has to settle for singles and doubles. Boom! Tetris for Sophie! She's only a few thousand points behind. There's just no stopping her now! Mai trying to clear up that hindrance.

[Cut back to the audience; Ai and Mii chant "Mai", along with some members of the audience; the rest of the audience, including Maya, Mari, the Chipmunks, and the Chipettes, chant "Sophie!"]

Announcer: Oh, listen to that crowd!

[The gang in the crowd chants "Let's go, Sophie!", followed by them and much of the crowd clapping five times, as if they were rooting for a baseball team]

[Meanwhile, back in the city, the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid and Sephira Racer continue fighting the Sephira Ultra Robo while also fighting the three enemy robots]

Harry: Just look at these mighty mecha! They're pummeling each other like there's no tomorrow! For those just tuning in, the mecha not controlled by Gamebot have tried multiple times to destroy Gamebot, but he keeps using the Sephira Ultra Robo as a shield. Nothing they do can stop him.

[Suddenly, the MechaDove flies overhead]

Harry: [looks up] Except maybe that! It's the Kaleido Gladiators' MechaDove!

Noah: [also looks up] Well, what do you know?! I suppose the Dove of Dreams figured the MechaDove's healing powers will break Gamebot's control.

[Cut to the MechaDove's cockpit with Brittany (as the Dove of Dreams) on board]

Brittany: Gamebot, your days of using our mecha as meat shields are over! Healing powers, activate!

[Outside, the MechaDove is about to activate its healing powers, when suddenly, one of the enemy robots punches it down]

Harry: Oh, was that close! One of the backup robots knocks the MechaDove to the ground before it can use its healing ability!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo punches the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid soundly]

Noah: The Sephira Ultra Robo takes advantage and wallops the MagnaDroid!

[The MechaDove struggles to get back to the sky, but the enemy robots pin it down]

Harry: MechaDove trying to get back up, but along come the backup bots to prevent it from using its healing powers. Things don't look good for the challengers.

Origami: Brittany, turn on the thrusters!

Brittany: I'm trying to! These bots are too much for the MechaDove!

Gamebot: And that's just the beginning. Emission Strike!

Shido: Uh-oh!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo's spear glows as the mecha itself charges at the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid]

[Cut back to the cockpit]

Yuya: One hit, and it's curtains!

Kio: [inserts another Cosmo Cell] Not with this! Lion Shield!

[Outside, the MagnaDroid gets equipped with the Lion Shield and blocks the Sephira Ultra Robo's spear; the Sephira Ultra Robo continues charging and pushes the MagnaDroid toward the Sephira Racer and wallops them both to the ground, knocking the Cosmo Cats and the remaining Spirit Soldiers out of the cockpits; the gang lands on the ground beside the other six Spirit Soldiers]

Harry: And they're outta there! The Emission Strike may have failed, but the Sephira Ultra Robo has managed to knock both the Sephira Racer and the Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid flat, knocking their pilots outta the cockpits!

[Spirit Soldiers Gold, White, Blue, Red, Fuchsia, and Violet help the other seven back to their feet; the Cosmo Cats get back on their own feet]

Antonia: I never knew your mecha had so much strength, Shido.

Shido: We do what we have to beat the Demonoids.

Tohka: It's too bad they're now using our own mecha against us.

Gamebot: You're damn right! [inputs codes on his right controller arm] Without anyone controlling the MagnaDroid or the Sephira Racer, they're mine now!

[The fallen mecha get back on their feet and turn on the Spirit Soldiers and the Cosmo Cats]

Harry: Now Gamebot has turned every mecha against the Spirit Soldiers and the Cosmo Cats, and only the Dove of Dreams and her MechaDove remain, outmatched and outclassed!

Eris: Brittany, get up!

[Cut to the MechaDove's cockpit; Brittany struggles with the controls]

Brittany: These enemy bots really know how to fight dirty! I gotta try the healing ability again!

[She tries to activate the healing powers, when suddenly, outside, the Sephira Racer strikes the MechaDove with its sword, knocking Brittany out of the cockpit; Brittany falls, then flies toward the rest of the gang]

Brittany: I'm sorry, guys. Gamebot's just too strong for us.

Origami: He's not. He's just a coward using our mecha against us. That's why he had you cornered.

Aoi: We'd better call Alvin.

Brittany: With the other Spider Riders out of town on assignment with the other Gladiators this weekend, the Chipmunks won't be enough. The Crystal Exceeds are our only hope.

Kio: If only they weren't on stakeout in Newark.

[The gang looks up and stands their ground while their mecha stare them down]

Shido: If not with mecha, we'll have to hold 'em off with our weapons.

[The others nod]

[Back at the studio, there is less than 30 seconds of gameplay left]

[SCORE:
Sophie: 124,191 (and counting)
Mai: 136,994 (and counting)]

Maya: Keep at it, Sophie! You're almost there!

Mari: Just one more Tetris!

Announcer: We're in the home stretch. Just 20 seconds left. Mai's got a long bar. Oh, no! A slip of the fingers left it dropping horizontally! What a mistake! She's having a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game. This does not look good!

[Mai tops out; the crowd groans]

Announcer: And she tops out! Sophie, on the other hand, has 10 seconds left, and she needs a Tetris to win!

[Sophie's next block is a long bar]

Announcer: This could be it!

[Sophie drops the block in an empty spot to score a Tetris]

Announcer: BOOM! Tetris for Sophie!

[BUZZ!!]

[Final score:
Sophie: 137,580
Mai: 137,576]

[The crowd cheers wildly]

Matt: That's the game! Mai's final score: 137,576. Sophie's final score: 137,580! By a matter of only four points, Sophie's our winner!

[Sophie laughs triumphantly and jumps up and down]

Mai: Rats. I was almost there.

Matt: Aw, don't feel too badly, Mai. You still picked up over $3,900 up front. Maybe it'll go a long way for you and your friends. [shakes hands with Mai] Big hand for Mai, everybody.

[The crowd applauds; Mai walks into the audience]

Matt: [shakes hands with Sophie] Sophie, congratulations!

Sophie: Thank you, Matt!

Matt: For that victory, you've won yourself $6,879!

Sophie: Oh, my God.

Matt: We add that to your earlier winnings, and already, you're takin' home $10,819!

[The crowd applauds]

Matt: And when we come back, you get your chance at $25,000 in cash and prizes at our video shopping center. Can she do it? Stick around!

[Sophie runs up to her friends in the audience; she and Maya hug]

Maya: See? I told you you could do it!

Sophie: Never had one doubt! But damn, was that close.

Mari: I know. Only four points.

Sophie: [notices fewer people in the audience] Hey, where'd Eris and her group go?

Alvin: [quietly] They went to help the Spirit Soldiers, and Brittany followed.

[He gets a text from Brittany: "Gamebot has us all cornered! He's using our own mecha against us! We're running out of options!"]

Alvin: [sighs] Well, that's just great.

Sophie: Well, you and your brothers are Spider Riders, right?

Alvin: Yeah, but we'd need the Spider King to get rid of this Demonoid, and we can't use it without all eight Spider Riders, and the other five are out of town.

Simon: So are all the other Gladiators, so we can't use the Kaleido Kaiser. Plus, the Exceeds won't be back from Newark until tomorrow.

Maya: Then I'll go.

Mari: Maya, you can't be serious.

Maya: I am. I just wanna be useful in combat.

Sophie: Going up against a metaphysical is dangerous enough. But a Demonoid-- That's practically suicide!

Maya: [reaches into her purse] Not if I have these.

[Her Field of Dreams crystal and an Akane Academy dog tag]

Maya: Before I left Japan, Moroha gave me this tag in case of an emergency. Even if he's not with me in person, he's with me in spirit. And this tag proves it. I'm goin' in!

[She heads out]

Mari: Maya, come back!

Alvin: Mari, I have a fuzzy feeling that your sister knows what she's doing.

Theodore: Same here. I'm sure she can take care of that Demonoid.

Simon: You just gotta have faith in her.

Mari: [sighs] I don't care. I'm going after her. I'm not letting her go without me.

Sophie: That's okay, Mari. I'll go.

Mari: Thanks for the offer, but she's my sister, my responsibility. Besides, you still have a bonus round to deal with. Let me know how it turns out when we get back.

[She heads out]

Sophie: Two brave witches.

Alvin: Hmm. You better get back to your spot, Sophie. Show's back on in just a few seconds!

[Sophie quickly returns to her place]

[Meanwhile, back in the city, Brittany, the Cosmo Cats, and the Spirit Soldiers try to hold off Gamebot, his backup robots, and the possessed mecha (including the MechaDove) with their weapons, but to little avail]

Brittany: It's just no good! Every time Gamebot is open for an attack, he uses one of our mecha as a shield!

Manami: We can't afford to destroy our own mecha!

Kio: Apparently, that's what the Demonoids want!

Gamebot: True or not, annihilating the lot of you is a breeze, now that I control your mecha!

Maya: [off-screen] Protect us all, Field of Dreams!

[Her Field of Dreams appears and surrounds the whole battlefield]

Gamebot: What the hell is this?!

[Maya charges into the scene]

Brittany: Maya?!

Tohka: Go back to the studio! It's dangerous!

Maya: I won't leave you behind! Besides, I'm the last thing the Demonoids expect to battle them.

Gamebot: [looks down] Well, what have we here? A teenager with the stature of a child. [laughs] I'll see to her later.

Maya: I'd rather you see to me now, Gamebot! [imbues her tag with prana] Moroha, this is for you. Salatiga, come to me!

[Moroha Haimura's sword Salatiga appears in her hands]

Gamebot: What?! A holy sword?!

Shido: I thought you could only do that with arsenal from a former life.

Maya: Not as a kuroma. I've been studying my friends' arsenal and have the power to use them as my own, even if only for a short time. This sword was wielded by one of Moroha Haimura's previous incarnations: The brave knight Fraga, along with his sister Sarasha, Satsuki Ranjo's previous incarnation. Now, Gamebot, feel the power of a witch Savior!

[She jumps up high and recites a Dark Arts spelling chant, imbuing Salatiga with Black Gehenna]

Gamebot: You don't scare me!

Maya: I'll make you eat those words!

[She raises Salatiga and slices Gamebot's left arm off with it; Gamebot screams]

Gamebot: How could you?!

[Maya slices Gamebot's right arm with Salatiga, then lands safely on the ground]

Maya: Now they match!

Gamebot: No! Without my arms, I can't control the mecha!

[The possessed mecha snap out of their trances, then turn to Gamebot]

Gamebot: Hey! What are you looking at?!

[The Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid crushes the fallen right arm with its foot; the Sephira Ultra Robo does the same to the left; Gamebot quivers with fear]

Maya: [as Salatiga vanishes] He's all yours!

Brittany: All right! MechaDove, Dove Dive!

[The MechaDove takes to the sky surrounded by mauve aura, then dives town toward Gamebot; it screeches and strikes Gamebot hard]

Cosmo Cats: Phaser Frenzy!

[The Omega Cosmo MagnaDroid fires all of its phasers at the backup robots, hitting them all hard; they engulf in massive explosions]

Spirit Soldiers: Sephira Max Robo!

[The Sephira Ultra Robo combines with the Sephira Racer to form the Sephira Max Robo; the Sephira Max Robo's Sephira Max Lance appears in its hands and energizes to full power; the Sephira Max Robo raises it to the sky]

Gamebot: Looks like it's game over!

Spirit Soldiers: Maximum Double Slash! FINAL ATTACK!

[Sephira Max Robo bisects Gamebot with the sword end of its lance, then does the same with the spear end; Gamebot screams and falls to the ground, engulfing in a massive explosion]

Eris: Cosmo Cats, mission complete! Meow!

Shido and Tohka: Termination complete! Sephira Squadron...!

All 13 Spirit Soldiers: Spirit Soldiers!

[Back on the announcing table, Harry and Noah groan in defeat]

Harry: Gamebot is down and out of commission, so ACME Crime Net wins again.

Noah: Leave it to that little brat to mess up our plan!

Harry: We'd best be off before the mecha get to us! [to his microphone] This concludes our broadcast.

[He and Noah take their equipment and leave; Maya retracts her Field of Dreams back to her crystal; the rest of the gang reverts to normal; the mecha disappear; Mari arrives]

Maya: Mari?!

Mari: My God, Maya, you really had me worried sick!

Maya: I'm sorry, sis, but I had to do something to help!

Mari: You could've been killed! I know you know how to use Moroha's sword, but you were up against a giant Demonoid! You're lucky Mom and Dad don't have to know about this, or they'd ground us both.

Qoone: Mari, listen. Maya may have been a bit crazy in this case, but she saved us all.

Yuya: She broke Gamebot's spell over our mecha and gave us the edge to beat him. Your sister is a hero.

[Mari thinks for a minute, then sighs and hugs her sister]

Mari: I can see right now that you're truly a big girl, Maya. I'm very proud of you.

Maya: Thank you, Mari.

Mari: Moroha's gonna have a hard time believing this when next we call him.

Tohka: By the way, how's Sophie doing?

Mari: Oh, my God! Sophie! She just made it to the bonus round!

Shido: We'd better hurry before it's all over. Teleporting now!

[All 23 teleport out]

[Back at the studio, the show is back on]

Matt: Welcome back to Gamer Grounds, folks. Here we are with Sophie Mertesacker, our winner. She's currently won $10,819 after beating all three of her opponents, and now it's time to tackle the video shopping center. Sophie, this is your big chance to win $25,000 in cash and prizes in our shopping spree round. [turns everyone's attention to the shopping center] Over in our shopping center are all different kinds of video games, accessories, gift cards up to $50, everything except consoles. But with the money you've won, you'll buy some, anyway.

Sophie: I already have a Switch and an Xbox.

Matt: Ah! Then already, you've got enough for more games than ever. Now, you have 45 seconds to tear into the shopping center and grab whatever you want. [hands Sophie a big reusable bag] Dump 'em in this bag, and whatever's in the bag is yours to keep. When your time is up or you think your bag is completely full, head back here, and we'll add up the retail value of what you picked up. If they add up to at least $2,000, not only do you get to keep all those prizes, but this is what you're takin' home.

Announcer: Your prize package includes a new gaming PC, a 2TB external solid state drive, a 3D printer, a new 82-inch 4K TV, a two-year subscription to Netflix, a new streaming device, and your own Donkey Kong arcade cabinet!

[The crowd applauds]

Matt: And on top of all that, with all that loot comes cash to the tune of over $15,000!

[The crowd cheers and applauds]

Matt: That's a total of $25,000 at stake today. Now, to help you get to your $2,000 goal, hidden around the shopping center are extra bonuses. We have six $50 blue tags, four $100 white tags, and three $200 red tags. They're attached to certain items in the center. But you have to bag both the tag and the item it's attached to if you want the bonus money. We also have a gold star stuck to the front of one of the games. Grab that one, and you'll pick up an additional $300. Keep those in mind when you're grabbin' games. Y'all set?

Sophie: Yeah!

Matt: 45 seconds on the clock, please.

[The clock is set]

Matt: On your mark, get set, GO!

[The clock starts as Sophie runs into the shopping center and bags as many games and accessories (among other things) as she can; the crowd cheers her on]

Matt: She's already bagged a lotta Switch games. Oh, look at them Genesis and Saturn controllers! Those come from Retro-Bit. They're officially licensed by Sega themselves. The wireless ones are worth $35 apiece.

[Sophie grabs a few games with the bonus tags on them]

Matt: And she sees bonus tags! That copy of Luigi's Mansion 3 had a $200 tag.

[Pretty soon, Sophie's bag is full; she grabs one more item: A backpack loaded with games]

Matt: Looks like she's fully loaded. Hurry back now!

[Sophie rushes back to Matt just as the clock runs out]

Matt: Dang, what a haul.

Sophie: [hands Matt the bag] Quite a lot of valuable stuff there.

Matt: Well, while our judges look 'em over, here's a few promotional considerations for our viewers.

[As the announcer does the fee plugs, the gang returns to the audience]

Alvin: Oh, thank goodness you made it alive. You guys just missed the run in the shopping center.

Maya: Did she win the grand prize?

Simon: We'll know soon enough.

Announcer: Promotional consideration provided by Retro-Bit, a leading third-party supporter of video game accessories. Most prizes today were provided by GameStop, America's leading video game retailer. Cash prizes awarded by Venmo. Fast, safe, social payments. Okay, take it away, Matt.

Matt: Thanks again. All right, Sophie. All your goodies have been sorted and added up. Let's start with the bonus items you picked up. [holds up a game with the gold star] You got the $300 gold-star game, which was Apex Legends. You got a backpack with eight games inside. All together, including the bag, you got $450 with that bonus. You also picked up $500 in bonus tags. You have $1,250 in bonuses. If everything else you grabbed totals at least $750, you win. First, let's see the games you're takin' home. On top of Apex Legends, you're also gonna get Xeno Crisis for Switch, WWE2K20 for Xbox One, Samurai Showdown for Xbox, Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4, RBI Baseball 18 for Switch, River City Girls for Switch, Ring Fit Adventure, with the Ring-Con, Luigi's Mansion 3, which had a $200 tag on it, Octopath Traveler for Switch, Bayonetta 2, Overwatch, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, -- I tell ya, there's so many games, I don't think we can go through 'em all. Plus, you got accessories. A Retro-Bit wireless Sega Saturn controller, a wireless Genesis controller from the same company, a Switch Pro Controller, a few 8BitDo controllers and adapters, and you picked up $325 in gift cards. But now for your total. You've got a total of...

[Sophie's total is revealed:]

Matt: $2,516! That means you've won!

[The crowd cheers and applauds wildly; Sophie screams excitedly; confetti falls on the stage]

Matt: Enjoy the moment, Sophie! You got all that loot, you got the computer, the external SSD, the 4K TV, the Netflix subscription, the streaming device, a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet, and over $15,000 in cash! Put that together with your earlier winnings, and you're leaving us with a record total of $38,335!

[The crowd cheers again]

Sophie: [shakes hands with Matt] Thank you very much!

Matt: No prob. They don't call me "Money Flippin' Matt" for nothin'. Well, folks, that's our show for tonight. We'll be back next week when four new players enter Gamer Grounds. Good night, everybody!

[132 Madison Street, 8:44pm]

[Sophie wraps her hands with bandages and joins the others for dessert]

Tohka: Look, Sophie, I'm sorry we bailed out of the audience in the middle of your game.

Sophie: Don't worry about it. You were right to leave. A Demonoid was attacking. But who knew a Demonoid could seize your mecha? And Maya-- What can I say?

Eris: For a kid her age, she was very brave in breaking Gamebot's control spell.

Sophie: How'd she do it, anyway?

Brittany: She sliced Gamebot's arms off with Salatiga.

Sophie: Salatiga? That's Moroha's sword! And Satsuki's the only one besides him who can use it!

Mari: Indefinitely. But Maya's powers let him use the sword temporarily, just enough time for her to beat Gamebot.

Maya: Even so, Maya's swordsmanship will never be as good as Moroha's, nor Satsuki's. The best I am is a kuroma, and I'm no better than Mari.

Mari: Hey, don't sell yourself short here. Being a kuroma is no different than being a swordsman, or an ice mage like Shizuno. But there is one thing better than being a kuroma.

Maya: What's that?

Mari: No matter what you are, it's who you are that really makes a difference in your life. Maya, just be glad you're you.

Maya: Oh, Mari... [sighs] I only wish I'd heard something like that from Moroha.

Brittany: Still can't get him out of your head, huh, Maya?

Maya: Maya can't help it. It's been only three days since we left Japan, yet being apart from him for even one night-- It really hurts Maya inside.

Alvin: You must love him a lot like a brother.

Maya: A lot more than that.

Mari: Our parents haven't been spending enough time with us lately, and she never made any friends until she met Moroha and the gang.

Kio: What about you? You're her sister, after all.

Mari: I've been totally busy at the academy, me being the principal at the time and all.

Maya: [finishes her ice cream] Maya and Moroha formed a special bond since the day we met. We'd play together, we'd train together, we'd cook together, we'd bathe together, we'd sleep together, and we'd kiss every night and every morning. He'd even hug me while we slept to keep us both warm.

Aoi: [cringes] Sounds pretty cree-- No, no, no. Mmm,... unorthodox.

Sophie: Not exactly, Aoi. Moroha's a really nice guy. There's nothing "unorthodox" or creepy about him.

Maya: [wipes her face] You took the words right out of my mouth. [heads for the guest room] I'm gonna call Moroha and go to bed. Good night.

[She enters the guest room and closes the door]

Mari: You see, guys? The longer she's apart from Moroha, the more she misses him.

Sophie: And what's more-- Moroha's birthday is coming in just two days. Maya would never forgive herself if she weren't with him for that.

[In the guest room, Maya puts on her pajamas, then grabs her phone; it buzzes (caller ID: Moroha); Maya is surprised; she picks up]

Maya: Hi, Moroha.

Moroha: Hey, Maya. Glad to hear your sweet little voice. How's everything in New York?

Maya: Oh, we had a heck of a great day. Sophie took me to Central Park, and we went to a taping of a local game show.

Moroha: Your sister told me what you've done with that Demonoid.

Maya: You're upset, aren't you?

Moroha: Not at all. You saved the Spirit Soldiers and the Cosmo Cats. He could've pulverized them.

Maya: But the fact that I used your sword-- Isn't that enough to make you or Satsuki angry?

Moroha: Of course not. Even Satsuki's proud. As far as I'm concerned, you've got what it takes to become a top-notch Savior and a Striker.

Maya: [sits down] Thanks. But I really wish you could've been there to see it.

Moroha: I know. Listen, I gotta get going. I'm having brunch with Shizuno's brother. Then we've got more Demonoids to crush. I promise, it'll all be over soon, and we'll be together again.

Maya: Okay. Don't forget about me, or Mari, or Sophie. We all miss you.

Moroha: Same. Sleep tight, kiddo.

Maya: Good night. Give my love to the others.

[She gently kisses her phone, then hangs up; she gets under the covers]

Maya: Make those Demonoids pay for keeping us apart.

[She falls asleep, with a tear in her eye]

[FINAL NOTE:
Noah Higgenbottom and Harry remain at large.]

Sophie: Next time: Last Chance.

Last edited by TVLubber (12/09/2023 9:28 pm)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

Board footera