ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2016 9:55 pm  #1

#341: Season 9 Premiere: Bye-Bye, Balboa

Finally, back to my regular fanfics! The only difference is that I've changed the format from weekdays to weekends (semi-weekly, like Family Double Dare), and made a lot of other significant changes.

Here we go!

[Showtime!]

[Cheers and applause]

Chief: All these people want to know...!

Rockapella: Where in the World is... Carmen Sandiego?

[They do the intro; now, to the Gumshoes]

Chief: And one of these Gumshoes could find her!

Ryan: From Manhattan, he plays Little League and coaches Pee-Wee soccer. Meet Ivan Adams!

Scott: From Hoboken, New Jersey, he wants to play basketball for the NBA and would also like to meet Carmelo Anthony. Say hi to Riley Domasinsky!

Steven: From Brooklyn, she loved watching Family Feud, and she also wants to host it. Meet Mira Williams!

[Cut to the alley; Greg enters and greets Rockapella]

Chief: And here's our captain in charge of training new recruits, Greg Lee!

[Greg enters HQ; cheers and applause]

Greg: Thank you! Season 9! We're back! [greets the Gumshoes] Hi, Gumshoes. Sorry for the long nine-month wait. Great to be back, even though we're only gonna do two shows a week from now on. But nevertheless, they're with me every day.

Rockapella: Rockapella!

[Applause]

Greg: I'm so glad you've joined us for a brand-new season of the show. As of this season, we're all-new semi-weekly every Saturday and Sunday. But you can still catch reruns of our daily version of the show. Check your local PBS listings. Also, as of today, our scores have gotten an increase. You can forget about Gumshoe starting off with 100 ACME Crime Bucks, because from now on, they each start with 250 ACME Crime Bucks.

[Applause]

Greg: And with an increase in opening Crime Bucks comes an increase in how much you get for each question you answer correctly. Each time you Gumshoes answer a question correctly, we'll give you 50 more Crime Bucks. If all three of you answer correctly, we'll give you each an additional 50 Crime Bucks. And, as always, the two of you with the highest scores at the end of this round will proceed to the next round, and the one who wins that next round and catches today's crook will win a $5,000 savings bond!

[Applause]

Greg: The runner-up will receive a $2,000 savings bond, and the 2nd runner-up will receive a $1,000 savings bond. All three Gumshoes get to keep any Crime Bucks they have at the end. But the one who captures Carmen Sandiego will win a trip to anywhere in North America and a jackpot, which, as of today, starts at $50,000!

[Applause]

Greg: And I'll explain more of how it grows as we go along, but right now, let's get right to the case. Chief, who are we after today?

[Cut to the Chief]

Chief: Gumshoes, this is Wonder Rat.

Rockapella: He's Wonder Rat.
The fabulous Wonder Rat.
The mighty Wonder Rat!

Chief: He's Carmen's rabble-rousing rodent.
His last-known whereabouts: San Diego, California.

Chief: Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre urban cultural park in San Diego. In addition to open space areas, natural vegetation zones, green belts, gardens, and walking paths, the park contains museums, several theaters, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo. Unfortunately,...

Rockapella: Oh, no!

Chief: Wonder Rat soared into San Diego and pinched the whole park, right down to the zoo! All the animals will be running wild until their beloved zoo is returned, along with the entire park. Gumshoes, it's up to you to trample the rat before the animals say...!

Rockapella: Whoo-WHOO!!

Chief: Bye-Bye, Balboa!

[Applause]

[Back to HQ]

Greg: Thanks, Chief. Gumshoes, before we get started, let's take some time to find out about you. First off, Ivan, they say you coach Pee-Wee soccer. That true?

Ivan: Yeah. I started that about a year ago. I was inspired by that episode of Arthur: The Good Sport.

Greg: The one with Michelle Kwan?

Ivan: Yep. The one where Jenna won Athlete of the Year, though Francine should've gotten it.

Greg: I'm with you on that one. Thanks, Ivan. Riley, are you into Arthur, too?

Riley: Nah, I'm more into shows like Family Guy.

Greg: At your age?

Riley: I'm 14. I'm old enough to watch it. As long as it's not the uncensored version for the next four years.

Greg: Okay. What about The Simpsons?

Riley: That, too, but Family Guy's better.

Greg: What about outside of your television time? What do you do?

Riley: I play basketball.

Greg: Good. Thanks, Riley. Finally, Mira, what got you into watching Family Feud?

Mira: Steve Harvey.

[Lots of audience members in the audience scream in approval]

Greg: Wow! [to the home audience] If anyone at home watches this again, please lower the volume for that particular moment. [to the Gumshoes] All right. I wanna wish the three of you Gumshoes the best of luck today, but remember, we no longer have returning Sleuths. It's one-and-done from here on out. That's why we upped the stakes here. Here's hoping one of you catches Carmen. Let's give 'em all a hand!

[Applause]

Greg: All right, Chief. Any news on Wonder Rat?

[Cut back to the Chief]

Chief: Here's what we've learned so far. Wonder Rat went to another urban public park. Now, this one is called Abbey Fields, and it's located in a city in the landlocked county of Warwickshire, in the West Midlands of England. Abbey Fields was once farmland belonging to St. Mary's Abbey, which was dissolved in the middle of the sixteenth century and is now ruined. St. Nicholas' Church, with origins from the 12th century, remains in the park. Greg?

[Back to HQ]

Greg: Thank you, Chief. Gumshoes, to what town did Wonder Rat hide Balboa Park? Leamington Spa, Kenilworth, or Warwick? Remember the clues that we heard: Abbey Fields, and St. Nicholas' Church. Lock in those answers as quickly as you can, Gumshoes. Remember, 50 for a correct answer, 100 if all three of you nail it.

[The Gumshoes are locked in]

Greg: Very good. Ivan, what'd you say?

Ivan: I chose Kenilworth.

Greg: Kenilworth. Over to Riley?

Riley: Kenilworth.

Greg: Kenilworth. Mira?

Mira: Kenilworth.

Greg: Kenilworth. The answer we're looking for is Kenilworth!

[Applause]

Greg: A trick first question, but everyone nailed it for 100 Crime Bucks each! You are now each at 350, but we've still got a long way to go. Now, let's check the file cabinet for any clues.

[He walks up to the file cabinet, opens the top drawer, and looks inside]

Greg: Oh, check this out. [extracts an itinerary] It's an itinerary. Wonder Rat must've dropped it. [shuts the top drawer]
1. Pick up snacks at Malabo International Airport.
2. Get Eric Moussambani's autograph.
3. Tour the Torre de la Libertad.
4. Take the next flight out from Bata Airport. All righty, then. Gumshoes, name the country. Is it Equatorial Guinea, Chad, or Angola?

Greg: Go ahead, Ivan.

Ivan: I chose Equatorial Guinea.

Greg: E.G. Riley?

Riley: E.G.

Greg: E.G. Mira?

Mira: I also chose E.G.

Greg: E.G. The answer we're looking for is Equatorial Guinea! You guys did it again!

[Applause]

Greg: 100 Crime Bucks more for each of you. You're now tied at 450 Crime Bucks apiece. Now, unfortunately, as the itinerary stated, Wonder Rat flew out of Equatorial Guinea, but our agents in Europe have tracked him in Germany.

[Lightning flashes]

Greg: Okay, guys. That only means one thing. It's time for the Lightning Round. All four of these questions have to do with Wonder Rat's most recent-known whereabouts, which is Germany. Each correct answer gives you an extra 25 Crime Bucks. Hands on your signaling buttons. Here's question #1. The Nobel Prize has been awarded to 107 German laureates, particularly a theoretical physicist who developed the general theory of relativity.

[Ivan rings in]

Greg: Ivan.

Ivan: Einstein.

[Bells sound out]

[Applause]

Greg: Question #2 relates to this tune. Listen carefully.

[Minuet in G Major is heard in the background]

Greg: Name the composer who wrote this tune: Minuet in G Major. Leonard Bernstein, Johann Sebastian Bach, or Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?

[Nobody rings in]

Greg: Name the composer who wrote this tune: Minuet in G Major. Leonard Bernstein, Johann Sebastian Bach, or Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?

[Still, no response]

[BUZZER!!]

[The music stops]

Greg: Bach. Johann Sebastian Bach. Tough one. No Crime Bucks for that one. Question 3: This German-born supermodel holds the record for the supermodel with the most magazine covers listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. Name the model. Claudia Schiffer, Heidi Klum, or Brittney Powell?

[Riley rings in]

Greg: Riley.

Riley: Schiffer.

[Bells sound out]

[Applause]

Greg: That's right. 25 for you. Last question: Which of the following U.S. cities joined as one of Berlin's sister cities in 1967? Washington, D.C., Dallas, or Los Angeles?

[Riley rings in]

Riley: L.A.

[Bells sound out]

[Applause]

Greg: Right. At the end of the Lightning Round, Ivan has 475, Riley has 500, and Mira still has 450. Nice job, you three.

Chief: Greg, report to my office, pronto!

Greg: Roger that, Chief. Excuse me, guys. I've got a brief meeting with the Chief. Stick around. My mentor calls. [enters the Chief's office]

Last edited by TVLubber (10/31/2016 10:44 pm)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

11/01/2016 4:34 pm  #2

Re: #341: Season 9 Premiere: Bye-Bye, Balboa

Greg: Chief, what's going on?

Chief: Greg, I am proud to announce a breakthrough in our never-ending quest to capture Carmen Sandiego.

Greg: Great news. What is it?

Chief: It's a brand new ACME Portable Invisibility Zone.

Greg: Hot dog! A portable invisibility zone!

Chief: It just arrived, but the problem is, I can't find it. That's why I need your help.

Greg: Well, lemme see if I can help.

Chief: I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Greg: I understand. Y'know, I've never actually looked for one before. [walks to the invisibility zone] Uh, Chief?

Chief: Yeah?

Greg: I think I just found it. [climbs inside] Right here. Whoa! This is totes awesome! It's got a complete fridge, an MP3 player, a touch screen, the works! Oh, and it's got air conditioning, too!

Chief: Greg,...

[Wind from the air conditioner blows some of the Chief's papers off her desk]

Chief: Greg, come out of there! I need your help to tell the home viewers about the contest! Greg! Hello!

[She pulls Greg out by the tie]

Greg: Roger, Chief. [to the home audience] You know, folks, each time you watch the show, write down what got stolen and from where. When you've collected five Loots and locations, write them down on a postcard or piece of paper along with your name and address, and send it to:

Greg: ACME Crime Net
P.O. Box 4300
New York, NY 10163.

Or enter at PBS.org.

Every day, we'll pick five people whose lists are correct and send them each a Carmen t-shirt. [climbs back inside the invisibility zone]

Chief: Here's who won today.

WINNERS:

Jacob Bernstein
Milwaukee, WI

Zack Bennett
Orlando, FL

Nikki Brighton
Madison, WI

Kia Tipton
Branford, CT

Michael Langan
Manhattan, NY

Chief: Congratulations to the winners!

Greg: [pokes his head out] Hey, Chief, wanna see what else is in here? It'll be fun. [climbs back inside]

Chief: Greg, the time for fun is finished. [no reply] Greg! [looks inside] Get out! [climbs inside] Get those Gumshoes to work!

Greg: [comes up behind her] Chief? Chief?!

Chief: Greg?! Greg?! Greg! [pops out]

Greg: Did you call me? 'Cause I thought I heard you calling me.

[The Chief doesn't answer]

Greg: My mistake. [exits]

Chief: How on Earth did he do that?

[Cut back to HQ; Greg exits the office]

Greg: High technology rules. Okay, Gumshoes. Remember, we're still looking for Wonder Rat and Balboa Park. But ACME Bug Net has just intercepted this phone conversation between Wonder Rat and Carmen Sandiego. Let's watch.

Wonder Rat: Carmen, the connection's gettin' really bad.

Carmen: Hopefully it's enough for you to hear my orders: Fly to a Southern European island country consisting of an archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. Its name might tickle your fancy if you've seen a movie about the country's famous falcon.

Wonder Rat: The one with Bogie as Sam Spade? Love that flick. The guy was brilliant when he confronted Mary Astor.

Carmen: Aside from that movie, get to that country ASAP before the Gumshoes find you.

Wonder Rat: Roger that!

[Back to HQ]

Greg: Gumshoes, name the country. Are they talking about Malta, Moldova, or Monaco?

Greg: Go ahead, Ivan.

Ivan: Malta.

Greg: Malta. Riley?

Riley: Malta.

Greg: Malta. Mira?

Mira: Malta.

Greg: Malta. The answer we're looking for is Malta!

[Applause]

Greg: The movie they were talking about was The Maltese Falcon. An old early 40s movie starring Humphrey Bogart. But that was before even my time. Anyway, after this question, Ivan has 575, Riley has 600, and Mira has 550. Nice job, you guys. For our next clue, let's go to one of our ACME Sailor Venus Net agents. Agent Leigh, what've you got for us?

[Cut to Cherami Leigh]

Cherami: A great deal, Greg. Wonder Rat took Balboa Park to Itsukushima Shrine, a Shinto shrine on the island of Itsukushima, best known for its "floating" torii gate. It's in the city of Hatsukaichi in this perfecture in Japan. The name of this perfecture is shared with its capital city. Uh, hold on.

[She looks at her smartphone]

Cherami: Uh-oh. Sorry, but I've gotta cut this sketch short. They need me for the Digimon Adventure tri. movies. I'm the new voice of Biyomon. Catch ya later. [exits]

[Back to HQ]

Greg: Thank you, Cherami Leigh. Gumshoes, name the perfecture of Japan. Is it Okayama, Yamaguchi, or Hiroshima? Remember the clues we just heard: Itsukushima Shrine, Hatsukaichi, and I can also tell you that it's located in the Chūgoku region on Honshu island.

Greg: Ivan, what'd you say?

Ivan: I chose Hiroshima.

Greg: Hiroshima. Riley?

Riley: Yamaguchi.

Greg: Yamaguchi. Mira?

Mira: Hiroshima.

Greg: Hiroshima. The answer we're looking for is Hiroshima!

[Applause]

Greg: Mira and Ivan got that one, so they each get 50. Ivan now has 625, Riley still has 600, and Mira now has 600. Nice job, Gumshoes. Now, we've just heard that Wonder Rat has left Hiroshima, so let's pick up... the Chase!

[Rockapella runs past]

Rockapella: Ooooooooooooooooooooooh... THE CHASE!!!

Greg: Each correct answer here is worth 25 Crime Bucks. Hands on your signaling buttons. Watch the monitor. Listen closely. Here we go. Wonder Rat whisked into Waseda University.

[Riley rings in]

Riley: Tokyo.

Greg: Right. Next, he soared into Seoul.

Riley: [rings in] South Korea.

Greg: Right, Riley. Next, he hijacked a speed boat to China. Name the body of water he crossed.

Ivan: [rings in] Yellow Sea.

Greg: Yes, it is, Ivan. Next, Wonder Rat headed due northwest to the capital of Laos.

[Riley rings in]

Riley: Vientaine.

Greg: Yes. Finally, he hightailed it to Hanoi.

[Riley rings in again]

Riley: Vietnam.

Greg: Yes. At the end of the Chase, Ivan has 650, Riley has 700, and Mira has 600. Now it's time for the final clue of this round, and in this final clue, you each get to decide for yourselves how much you're willing to risk. If you're right, we'll add that amount to your score. If not, we'll deduct it from your score. You can risk 0, 50, 100, 150, 200, or 250 ACME Crime Bucks. Take a look over here.

[A map of New England is shown on the monitor]

Greg: Here's a part of the world where we think Wonder Rat is headed. If you know enough about this part of the world, you may wanna risk as much as you want. If not, you may wanna risk as little as you wish. Take a close look at the map and think about it.

[The "risk" think cue is heard as the Gumshoes lock in their wagers]

[Afterwards, the cue ends]

Greg: Everyone's locked in. Now, our last clue comes to us from--

[Chatter is heard coming from the alley]

Greg: That's gotta be another Word on the Street. Be back in a moment. [enters the alley] Hi, fellas. What's the Word on the Street?

Scott: Hey, Greg. The Word on the Street is "Charles".

Steven: By Charles, we mean a river in the city where Wonder Rat took Balboa Park.

Ryan: The city is home to Harvard Stadium, the country's first collegiate athletic stadium ever built.

Calvin: NFL's Patriots used to play in that stadium back in 1970. That was before they became what we know them today as the New England Patriots.

Greg: Thanks, fellas.

Jeff: [football on hand] Hey, Greg, go long! [tosses the football into the office]

Greg: [charges toward the ball] Whoa!

[He catches it, then charges toward the audience; six feet in front of them is a football goal post]

Scott: Lee's down to the 30, the 20-- He might... go... ALL... THE... WAY!!!

[Greg crosses the goal line and spikes the ball]

Greg: TOUCHDOWN!!

[Cheers and applause]

[Greg returns to his position]

Greg: Whoo! What a game. Okay, Gumshoes. Name the city. Is it New Haven, Connecticut, Augusta, Maine, or Boston, Massachusetts? Remember the clues we just heard: Charles River, New England Patriots, and Harvard Stadium.

Greg: Now, the one in third place comes first. Mira, you have 600 Crime Bucks. How much did you risk?

Mira: 200.

Greg: 200. What'd you say?

Mira: I chose Boston.

Greg: Boston is right! You go to 800!

[Applause]

Greg: Now, we go to Ivan with 650. How much did you risk?

Ivan: 100.

Greg: 100. If you're right, you'll go to 750. What'd you say?

Ivan: Boston.

Greg: Boston is right!

[Applause]

Greg: Just bounced right into 2nd place. But let's see how Riley fares. Riley, how much did you wager?

Riley: 250.

Greg: The big 250. If you're right, you go to 950 and will advance to the next round with Mira. If not, Mira and Ivan will advance. What'd you say?

Riley: Boston.

Greg: Yes! You and Mira are advancing!

[Applause]

Greg: Now, before I talk with our outgoing Gumshoe, let me remind you that all our Gumshoes receive their Crime Bucks in savings bonds, as well as another great parting gift, which we'll talk about as soon as we get to the Chief. First off, Ivan, you played a great game today. Just another 50 Crime Bucks bet would've at least kept you in this. But you've earned, in addition to your Crime Bucks in savings bonds, an additional $1,000 savings bond for coming in third place, and here's that additional parting gift we've been wanting to tell you about, and it may help you in your next case. Chief?

[Back to the Chief]

Chief: It's our official ACME Crime Net Travel Kit. It all comes in this wonderful ACME duffel bag. Inside, you'll find an atlas, the official Carmen watch, a Carmen t-shirt, a subscription to National Geographic World magazine, this ACME Crime Net cap with the logo in front, our ACME Stealth Pen Recorder for writing and recording messages, and finally, this handy basketball globe. [tosses the ball into a basket behind her] I salute you! Back to you, Greg!

[Applause]

Last edited by TVLubber (11/24/2016 9:24 am)

11/24/2016 9:29 am  #3

Greg: [hat on] Thanks, Chief. All right, Riley and Mira. We're on our way to Boston to find Wonder Rat and Balboa Park. To get there, we're gonna modem ourselves.

Chief: Greg, are you and the Gumshoes ready?

Greg: Yes, ma'am! Let's go!

[He and the Gumshoes teleport out of HQ, then to the Jailtime Challenge station in Boston]

[Locations:
Bunker Hill Monument
Museum of Fine Arts
Charles River
Fenway Park
Harvard Stadium
Public Library
South Station
Faneuil Hall
Arnold Arboretum
City Hall
Paul Revere House
Long Wharf
Old State House
Public Garden
Newbury Street]

Greg: [exhales] Okay, guys. Here we are in Boston. Now, let's turn it over to the Chief for a quick briefing. Chief?

[The Chief appears on the board]

Chief: Gumshoes, there are 15 places here in Boston where you may find Wonder Rat, the Warrant, or Balboa Park. Let's take a look.

Chief: The Bunker Hill Monument was erected to commemorate the Battle of Bunker Hill, which was among the first major battles between British and Patriot forces in the American Revolutionary War, fought there on June 17th, 1775.

Chief: Fenway Park, home to the Boston Red Sox. Fenway has hosted the World Series ten times, with the Red Sox winning five, and the Braves winning one. And by the Braves, I mean back when they were the Boston Braves.

Chief: South Station, officially The Governor Michael S. Dukakis Transportation Center at South Station, is the largest railroad station and intercity bus terminal in Greater Boston and New England's second-largest transportation center after Logan International Airport. The station was renamed for former Massachusetts governor Michael S. Dukakis in November 2014, though some maps and station signs, as well as the board in this game, still use the shorter "South Station".

Chief: Finally, Harvard Stadium, the United States' first collegiate athletic stadium ever built. It's true, folks. Back when the New England Patriots were the Boston Patriots, they played here in 1970. The stadium seats over 30,000 people. The stadium seated up to 57,166 in the past, as permanent steel stands were installed in the north end of the stadium in 1929. They were torn down after the 1951 season due to deterioration and reduced attendance. Afterwards, there were smaller temporary steel bleachers across the open end of the stadium until the building of the Murr Center in 1998. Well, Gumshoes, there's your briefing. Now, boogie through Boston, bring back Balboa, and whip Wonder Rat! Greg! [signs off]

Greg: Thanks, Chief. Gumshoes, take your positions.

[The Gumshoes take their positions]

Greg: Now, these are the possible locations where you might be able to find Wonder Rat, an arrest warrant, and Balboa Park. The first thing you have to find is the Loot, the evidence needed to get the Warrant, which is required to arrest the Crook. The first to connect all three of those things in that order in a single turn will have captured Wonder Rat, and win a $5,000 savings bond, as well as the chance to pursue Carmen Sandiego for the trip to anywhere in North America and the $50,000 jackpot. The runner-up will take home a $2,000 savings bond. Now, one more thing, as usual, you can pick any location you so desire, but if you should happen to find the Loot, the Warrant, or the Crook at any time, you get a free look. Riley, you ended the last round with the highest score, so you get to kick us off. Go ahead.

Riley: Fenway.

Greg: Fenway Park.

[Shoeprints]

Greg: Nothing there. We turn it back around. Because you found nothing, we gotta turn it over to your opponent. Mira?

Mira: Public Garden.

Greg: Public Garden.

[Shoeprints]

Greg: Nothing there. Back to you, Riley.

Riley: Harvard Stadium.

Greg: Harvard Stadium.

[Shoeprints]

Scott: TOUCHDOWN!!

[Laughter]

Greg: Nothing there. Back to Mira.

Mira: Newbury Street.

Greg: Newbury Street.

[Wonder Rat]

Rockapella: Wonder Rat!

Greg: Okay. You found the Rat. But he's the last thing you gotta find. Loot first, Warrant second, Wonder Rat last. But go ahead. You get a free look.

Mira: City Hall.

Greg: City Hall.

[Shoeprints]

Greg: Nothing there. We still need to find the Loot and Warrant. Riley?

Riley: Arnold Arboretum.

Greg: Arnold Arboretum.

[The Loot]

Calvin: [imitates Mr. T] I want Balboa!

Greg: [laughs] There's the park. Go ahead.

Riley: Faneuil Hall.

Greg: Faneuil Hall.

[The Warrant]

Rockapella: The Warrant!

Greg: There's the Warrant. Do you remember where Wonder Rat is?

Riley: Newbury Street.

Greg: Newbury Street. Is he there?

[Wonder Rat]

Rockapella: Wonder Rat! YOU'VE WON!

[Cheers and applause]

[Rockapella does their fanfare as the confetti falls on Riley]

Greg: Yes, siree! Nice job, Riley! Come on up here.

[Riley walks up to him; the chain comes down]

Greg: For that victory, you've just won a $5,000 savings bond. All together, you've got $5,900. But right now, pull the chain and put Wonder Rat in jail.

[Riley pulls the chain, and...]

Rockapella: Wonder Rat... in jail!

[Applause]

Greg: Stick around and we'll chat with you in a little bit. First off, Mira, you played a great game today. You tracked Wonder Rat all the way to Boston. You leave us with savings bonds to the tune of $2,800, as well as this nice gift. Chief?

[Back to the Chief]

Chief: Tough break. But ACME rules never bend. Only the winning Gumshoes can pursue and capture Carmen Sandiego. Fortunately for us, rule 43D states that all 2nd place Gumshoes receive, in addition to their ACME Travel Kit, you'll also receive this new iPad Mini, along with a $500 iTunes gift card. I salute you!

[Applause]

Last edited by TVLubber (11/24/2016 12:26 pm)

11/24/2016 2:48 pm  #4

Greg: Nice iPad. Betcha after those savings bonds mature, you'll get a lot of those, eh?

Riley: Already got one. I'll use some of that money towards iTunes after maturity.

Greg: Good answer. [hands Riley a portfolio] Now, before you go after Carmen, we need to find out where you're gonna go if you win that trip to anywhere in North America and the $50,000 jackpot. Inside this portfolio is a sheet of paper and a marker. Write it extra big so we can see it.

[The "trip think" cue is heard as Riley writes down his trip location in his portfolio; afterwards, the cue ends]

Greg: Good choice there. How long have you thought about it?

Riley: From the day I auditioned.

Greg: Whoa.

[The phone rings]

Greg: That's the phone. Hold on. [picks up] Hello? Yes, he's right here. Hold on a sec. [hands the phone to Riley] Here, it's for you.

Riley: Go ahead.

Wonder Rat: If there's one thing a rat can do, it's rat! If you wanna find Carmen Sandiego, sniff around Europe. [hangs up]

Greg: What'd he say?

Riley: Europe.

Greg: Europe, it is, then. Chief, any details?

[Back to the Chief]

Chief: Here's a list of places Carmen may have traveled:

Spain.
Czech Republic.
Slovenia.
Germany.
France.
Ukraine.
Latvia.
Sweden.
Finland.
Switzerland.
Andorra.
Gibraltar.
Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Greg! Let's go to the Map!

Scott: I feel GOOD!

[Applause]

[Rockapella does the Map opening; Greg and Riley enter the Map of Europe]

Greg: Okay, Riley. Here's what you have to do. What you gotta do is track Carmen Sandiego through seven different countries or territories, identifying each country or territory with a marker. If you're right, you'll hear this sound.

[SIREN!]

Greg: But if you're wrong, you'll hear this sound.

[BUZZER!]

Greg: If you make a mistake, you gotta try again, but if you make a second mistake on the same location, leave the marker where it is, come back, and we'll move on to the next one. But if you're right seven times within 45 seconds, then you will win that $50,000 jackpot and the trip to anywhere in North America. You all set?

Riley: You bet.

Greg: Audience, you ready?!

Audience: YEAH!

Greg: Let's do this! Grab your first marker, Riley, and we'll get the time up on the clock.

[Riley grabs his first marker; the clock is set at 45 seconds]

Greg: Everyone's hear to cheer you on, man. Let's see if we can make this season opener a happy one. Good luck to you, and here we go. On your mark, get set, GO!

[The clock and music start]

Greg: Carmen went to Latvia! Riga, Latvia! Latvia!

[Riley quickly places the marker on Latvia]

[SIREN!] (1/7) [:40]

[Applause]

Greg: That's right! Czech Republic! Czech Republic! Prague, Czech Republic!

[Riley quickly places another marker on the Czech Republic]

[SIREN!] (2/7) [:34]

[Applause]

Greg: Yes! Kiev, Ukraine! Ukraine! Ukraine! Ukraine!

[Riley quickly places another marker on Ukraine]

[SIREN!] (3/7) [:27]

[Applause]

Greg: Yes! Sweden! Sweden! Stockholm, Sweden! Hurry, Riley!

[Riley quickly places another marker on Sweden]

[SIREN!] (4/7) [:21]

[Applause]

Greg: Yes! 20 seconds left! Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina! Bosnia and Herzegovina! Put it in high gear, man!

[Riley places another marker on B&H]

[SIREN!] (5/7) [:11]

[Applause]

Greg: That's right! You got five! Zurich, Switzerland! Speed it up, buddy! You can do it!

[Riley quickly places another marker on Switzerland]

[SIREN!] (6/7) [:4]

[Applause]

Greg: That's six! One more! Gibraltar! Gibraltar! You're almost there!

[Riley quickly heads for Gibraltar, but...]

[BUZZER!!] (time's up!)

Greg: [groans] TIME! You got six in 45 seconds. So close. Give him a big round of applause, ladies and gentlemen!

[Applause]

Greg: That was a close call that time. You came so close, but Carmen was just too quick. But you're not a loser today, 'cause you caught Wonder Rat. That's not bad, is it, Chief?

[Back to the Chief]

Chief: Not bad at all. Riley, we're all proud of the good work you did throughout the day. I hereby upgrade you! You are now a Sleuth! Congratulations!

[Applause]

[Back to the Map]

Greg: Thanks, Chief. Also, since you didn't catch Carmen, we're gonna give you $1,000 for each correct location you got. That's $6,000 for you. 3,000 in cash, 3,000 in savings bonds. You leave us with $11,900, as well as this official Carmen Sandiego Sleuth Jacket! [hands Riley the jacket]

[Applause]

Greg: But that's not all. [extracts a digital camera from the right pocket of the jacket] You get this digital camera, too, since you got six out of seven. Now, because you didn't catch Carmen Sandiego today, our jackpot jumps up by $5,000 for each location you correctly identified in the Map while pursuing her. We'll add $30,000, bringing the jackpot up to $80,000 for next program. Right now, before you go, there's one more thing I need you to do. You know what it is?!

All: DO IT, ROCKAPELLA!!!

[Rockapella performs the theme song during the end credits; the audience jams]

[Cut back to the Chief]

Chief: This is S. Epatha Merkerson speaking for Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, and remember:
Gumshoes, Gumshoes never fail
to place the perps straight into jail!

[The end]

10/16-11/24/16

Last edited by TVLubber (11/24/2016 3:59 pm)

Board footera