ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2018 6:06 pm  #1

Throwback: Square One TV (412)

In 1991, my brother entered and won Square One TV's Mr. Math Contest. This particular contest appeared on episode number 412. In this segment, a season one sketch featuring NBA legend Julius Erving got axed due to an arithmetic error. 

(Sketch begins at 3:50 and ends at 6:55)

When my brother and I watched the sketch, my brother got a piece of paper and a pencil handy. He wrote down the problem as Erving described the problem.

US:
TOTAL: 462
AVG: 92.4

OTHER GUYS:
TOTAL: 502
AVG: 100.4

After dinner, my brother found Erving's error. He got the US column right, but the OTHER GUYS was wrong. The correct solution was...

TOTAL: 508
AVG: 101.6

My brother quickly wrote down the solution and send it to Square One TV. One month later, the family got a big package in the mail. When my mother saw who it is from, she shouted "SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE ONE!!!" (LOL!) When my brother got home from school, my mom stopped my him and she told him "You got something from Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare One!"

My brother opened the package with a letter. The letter said:

"Dear Edward:

Weeks ago, we showed you a segment featuring Julius Erving that got axed in our first season due to an arithmetic error. The arithmetic error was...

US:
TOTAL: 462
AVG: 92.4

OTHER GUYS:
TOTAL: 502
AVG: 100.4

Julius Erving miscalculated the Other Guys'  points. The correct solution is...

TOTAL: 508
AVG: 101.6

Congratulations! You've witnessed the mistake. As a reward for you, we are giving you an Square One Sport Jester Gym Bag which includes:

A Sleek Square One Jacket (Not available in any store!)
A Certificate for Sneakers
A Square One Wrist Watch
An Autographed Picture of George Frankly and Pat Tuesday of Mathnet

Enjoy it with pride! You'll be a good mathematician!

Warm Regards,
Dick and Verne

11/30/2020 4:17 pm  #2

Re: Throwback: Square One TV (412)

What about the Sport Jester gym bag and the solar powered laser hologram calculator?

Also, I found that Zortz still makes note holders. I actually got a copy of National Geographic Global Pursuit and it's very fun.

11/30/2020 6:45 pm  #3

TonyDuMont wrote:

What about the Sport Jester gym bag and the solar powered laser hologram calculator?

Also, I found that Zortz still makes note holders. I actually got a copy of National Geographic Global Pursuit and it's very fun.

I think you misread it:

ACME Crime Net wrote:

Congratulations! You've witnessed the mistake. As a reward for you, we are giving you an Square One Sport Jester Gym Bag which includes:

A Sleek Square One Jacket (Not available in any store!)
A Certificate for Sneakers
A Square One Wrist Watch
An Autographed Picture of George Frankly and Pat Tuesday of Mathnet

I think he did win the calculator, but they forgot to mention it.

Last edited by ACME Crime Net (11/30/2020 6:47 pm)

11/30/2020 7:38 pm  #4

Right. I did misread it. I would have liked the Sport Jester gym bag, too bad it was mostly a runner-up prize.

Here's Zortz' website: Zortz | The Clothespin Puppet Noteholder

If Square One were made today, perhaps the prizes could include a jacket, watch, T-shirt, maybe a Blu-ray of the series.

Board footera