ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2020 11:56 pm  #1

Side-Fic 330: Pitcher Perfect

Rated TV-14 (DLSV)

Tohka: Hi, everyone! It's almost showtime! Don't forget to watch in a brightly-lit room, and don't even think of sitting too close to your screen. Play ball!

Narrator: In New York City's fight against crime, the dedicated detectives who pursue the most vicious criminals are members of an elite unit known as ACME Crime Net.

[North Meadow, Central Park, Friday, August 16th, 11:34am]

[Shido and Tohka watch Stephanie Lawson (Diane Neal) practicing her baseball swing; Tohka is impressed; Alvin approaches while having a FaceTime chat with Tor (who is at Universal Studios Florida with his group)]

Alvin: I'm glad you guys are enjoying your family vacay.

Tor: Yep. And no Captain Omen or Eva to get in our way of fun.

Alvin: Listen, I gotta go. I'm supposed to meet Shido and Tohka at Miss Lawson's baseball practice.

Tor: You guys have a good time.

Alvin: You, too. Bye. [hangs up]

[He walks up to Tohka and Shido]

Tohka: Hi, Alvin.

Alvin: What do you guys think of the Bambina?

Shido: Who?

Alvin: Stephanie Lawson. She used to be our Assistant District Attorney. She's a legal aid now.

Tohka: Where'd she get such a weird nickname?

Alvin: It's a female version of one of Babe Ruth's nicknames: The Bambino.

Tohka: Who's this Babe Ruth?

Alvin: He was a professional baseball player. He set a lot of major league records when he played for the New York Yankees. Some of them still stand today.

Tohka: I'm sorry, Alvin. I don't know much about baseball.

Shido: Look out!

[Alvin turns around and sees a ball flying toward him; Tohka catches it like a pro; the coach is impressed]

Coach: Hey, missy, good catch. Could you toss it back, please?

Tohka: No problem.

[As if she were a pitcher, she tosses the ball to the coach; who catches it with his glove]

Coach: We could use a girl like you pitchin' for legal aid. Some of our attorneys can't make it in time for the game this weekend, particularly our star pitcher.

Tohka: I'd be happy to help, Coach.

Coach: Cool. Yo, Lawson! Plate!

[Lawson steps up to the plate as Tohka takes the mound and is given a glove]

Coach: Got a new recruit.

Lawson: A Spirit Soldier? [grips her bat] All right. Bring it on.

Coach: [to Tohka] Now, you see the guy behind her with the funny mask? Pitch it to him, okay?

Tohka: Got it.

[She aims, then pitches the ball to the catcher, who catches it just as Lawson swings, much to the delight of the applauding crowd; the catcher tosses it back to Tohka]

Coach: Strike 1. Good shot, kid.

Tohka: Just call me Tohka. Tohka Yatogami.

Lawson: Batter up!

[Tohka pitches the ball; Lawson swings and misses; the catcher catches the ball; the crowd applauds again; the catcher tosses the ball back]

Coach: Strike 2.

Tohka: [catches the ball] Must be beginner's luck.

Alvin: For someone baseball illiterate, she's sure got good aim.

Shido: She's sure to make the team now.

[Tohka, in slow-motion, tosses the ball; Lawson swings and barely misses; the catcher catches the ball]

Coach: Strike 3!!

[The crowd cheers; Lawson drops her bat in dismay]

Coach: Legal aid, I give you our new star pitcher: Tohka Yatogami!

[The team surrounds Tohka]

Tohka: Really, it was all in the wrists.

Coach: I bet you'll kill it in tomorrow's game.

Tohka: Well, I've got nothing else to do tomorrow. But on one condition.

Coach: Name it.

Tohka: [points at Origami and Yoshino on the bleachers] My friends there wanna try out for the team, too. Maybe if you could give 'em a few pointers, that'd be awesome.

Coach: Sure!

Tohka: Thanks. Origami! Yoshino!

[Her two fellow Spirits approach]

Origami: I'd be honored to play first baseman.

Yoshino: Left field.

Coach: No problem.

[Manhattan Diner, 1:21pm]

[Kurumi brings Shido, Tohka, Origami, and Yoshino four glasses of cola]

Kurumi: One round of colas.

Shido: Thanks, Kurumi.

[He and the three girls clink their glasses]

All four: Cheers!

Shido: I'm proud of you, Tohka. [pats Tohka on the head] Legal aid's gonna win tomorrow's game for sure!

Tohka: Oh, Shido.

Yoshinon: Hey! No fair, Shido!

Yoshino: What about me?

Origami: Don't forget me.

[Shido pats Origami and Yoshino on the heads]

Shido: Okay, you girls, too. You two did great in practice for your positions, anyway. But remember to back Tohka's play, just in case.

Origami and Yoshino: Understood.

Tohka: But did you see Stephanie Lawson's reaction to when I struck her out? Something tells me she doesn't want me on the team.

Yoshinon: Aw, she's just jealous. She thinks just 'cause she's captain of the team, she can have complete control over the whole team.

[Lawson and two fellow attorneys (Ned Logan and Simone Clarke) enter; Logan and Clarke laugh]

Logan: So much for the Bambina.

Clarke: Make that the Bumblina.

[She and Logan laugh]

Lawson: Real funny, guys. But did you see the way she pitched during practice?

Logan: The way you were swinging, how could we see?

Clarke: Trust me, Steph, I'd be just as pissed as you to be struck out by a Spirit Soldier.

Lawson: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Look, I gotta talk with her about tomorrow's game.

Clarke: Oh, no problem. Ned and I have a movie to catch.

Lawson: Catch you tomorrow.

Logan: Arrivaderci, Bambina!

[He and Clarke exit, still laughing; Lawson smiles a bit, then walks up to Tohka's table]

Lawson: Hey, Tohka.

Tohka: Stephanie.

Origami: We were just talking about Tohka's tryout.

Yoshino: You must be proud.

Lawson: Yeah, but I'd be prouder if she did that to someone else, especially during the game tomorrow.

Tohka: Haven't you ever been struck out before, Steph?

Lawson: Yeah, but not by a Spirit Soldier.

Yoshinon: Aw, come on! No one could've hit off her with the way she was pitching.

Lawson: I could have. Just lost focus.

Shido: Can't you give her just a little credit, Steph? I mean, the coach must've had a good reason to put her on the team.

Lawson: You did okay for practice. But tomorrow's the real thing. I just hope you're ready. That's all. But I should warn you and your friends about the Felony Frogs.

Yoshino: Felony Frogs?

Lawson: Felony attorneys' team name. They've had a lucky streak this season. They're going for their seventh tomorrow. We've only taken them on once when the season began, and we lost 4-3 after their star batter scored the winning run. But tomorrow is where it all ends. I'm counting on you girls to lead my team to victory. Especially you, Tohka.

Tohka: Yes, ma'am.

Lawson: You girls wanna meet me tomorrow at the batting cage a few hours before the game? Just to make sure you're up to batting.

Tohka: No problem.

[Lawson writes down the address on a napkin and hands it to Tohka]

[Cut to Neo-DEM HQ; Nervadrone shows the Demonoids a new pitching machine]

Nervadrone: Three of the Spirit Soldiers are expected to show up at the batting cage tomorrow. That's where this contraption comes in.

LN: A pitching machine? Really?

Nervadrone: Anyone who gets a hit off one of its balls will instantly be sucked inside. I intend to catch those three Spirit Soldiers so we can use them as bait to suck the others in. Then I'll confiscate their Spirit Braces and present them to Master Westcott so he can vaporize them all with ease. But just in case anyone tries to fight back, this machine's got a special surprise built in. Transformation!

[The machine takes the form of a Demonoid robot]

Nervadrone: Behold, Pitchbot!

Pitchbot: Man, I'm starving for some Spirit Soldiers! So, Nervadrone, the plan is to suck in the Spirit Soldiers at the batting cage and lure the others into battle with me. Is that right?

Nervadrone: Bingo. Be there tomorrow. But don't let any strangers get any hits. The Spirit Soldiers are Westcott's priority.

Pitchbot: Understood!

[Field House at Chelsea Piers, Saturday, August 17th, 11:43am]

[The Yamai twins gather trash, one area after another; at last, they have finished]

Kaguya: I can't believe Kotori arranged for us to pick up trash here today. I know this place is short-handed and all, but we're supposed to be lifeguards at the Y!

Yuzuru: Refute. Being lifeguards isn't as easy as you think, Kaguya. Besides, the YMCA has new recruits to train.

Kaguya: Aw, suck it, Yuzuru!

[They suddenly notice an empty batting cage (with Pitchbot in pitching machine form)]

Kaguya: Hey, a batting cage! What say we get into some swinging?

Yuzuru: Agreement. We already have taken out all the trash, and they gave Ratatoskr permission to use the cages today. Tokens?

[Kaguya hands her twin a roll of tokens; Yuzuru enters the cage, inserts one token, grabs a bat, puts on a helmet, and prepares to swing]

[Back at Neo-DEM HQ, Nervadrone has seen it all]

Nervadrone: Well, not quite the Spirit Soldiers I had in mind, but it's a start. Hit him in, Yamai.

[Back at the cage, Yuzuru raises her bat; the machine pitches a ball; Yuzuru swings and misses]

Kaguya: STRIKE 1!

[The machine pitches again; Yuzuru swings and misses again]

Kaguya: Swing and a miss from the snarker. Very disappointing. That's strike 2.

[The machine pitches again; Yuzuru swings and misses yet again]

Kaguya: STRIKE 3!! [shouts like an umpire]

Yuzuru: Objection. That was ball 1.

Kaguya: Didn't you hear me?! I said...! [shouts like an umpire again]

[The twins argue indistinctly over whether it was a ball or a strike just as Lawson, Tohka, Origami, and Yoshino arrive; Yoshino enters the cage and breaks the twins up]

Yoshino: GUYS!!!

[The twins quiet down]

Yoshino: What's wrong with you two?

Kaguya: She can't tell the difference between a ball and a strike!

Yuzuru: Refute. I know ball 1 when I see it. It was barely outside.

Kaguya: You swung and missed! Even if it was outside, swinging and missing made it a strike!

Yoshino: Both of you, out!

[She pushes the twins out of the cage]

Yoshino: I can't believe those two.

[She reaches into her bag and extracts her batting gloves; also inside the bag is Yoshino's Spirit Brace and Yoshinon]

Yoshino: Sorry, Yoshinon, but I need both hands for this.

Lawson: [looks into her bag] Oh, come on!

Origami: What's the matter?

Lawson: I left my gloves behind. Girls, I can't risk getting bat blisters before the game. I'll just have to go back to my sister's and practice with her.

Tohka: Oh, we understand.

Lawson: Just don't any of you girls over-exert yourselves. Save some home runs for the Felony Frogs, okay?

[She sets off]

Tohka: Later! Okay, Yoshino. [inserts two tokens] Get ready.

[Yoshino props her bag on the floor, then grabs a bat and puts on a helmet]

Yoshino: Batter up!

[Back at Neo-DEM HQ, Westcott and Nervadrone have seen it all]

Westcott: As you can see, Nervadrone, Hermit's Sephira Brace has been left unattended.

Nervadrone: I'll send in a group of Bandersnatch to pick it up so we can use their own technology against them.

Westcott: Excellent idea. We just have to wait until Pitchbot swallows up Hermit.

[Back at the cage, Yoshino grips her bat; the machine pitches a ball; Yoshino swings and hits, but suddenly gets swallowed up inside the machine]

Tohka: Yoshino?! Yoshino!

[She and the other three Spirits look around the cage for Yoshino]

Origami: Yoshino, where are you?!

Pitchbot: [assumes his Demonoid form] Right in my belly!

Origami: Another Demonoid!

Pitchbot: Bet you can't get a hit off of Pitchbot, Spirit Soldiers!

[He fires laser beams at the four, who dodge]

Kaguya: Aren't you glad you didn't get a hit off the machine?

Yuzuru: Comeback. Don't rub it in.

[Seven Bandersnatch units appear]

Origami: Bandersnatch!

[One of them grabs Yoshino's bag]

Tohka: Hey! Put that down!

[She charges at the unit, but the other six block her path; the four Spirits fight them]

Pitchbot: Give it to 'em, boys!

[In the scuffle, the unit with the bag extracts Yoshino's Spirit Brace and drops the bag]

Pitchbot: The Spirit Brace! Good work!

Tohka: Gimme that back!

[The Bandersnatch block her when she tries to get the brace back]

Pitchbot: That'll do! Report back to Nervadrone at once!

[The Bandersnatch vanish]

Pitchbot: What a shame, Spirit Soldiers. Better luck next time!

[He vanishes]

Tohka: [punches the floor] Damn it!

[She grabs Yoshino's bag and pulls Yoshinon out]

Tohka: Poor Yoshino. All alone without Yoshinon.

Origami: The units were too much, even if we could transform.

Kaguya: There was nothing any of us could do.

Yuzuru: Console. We'll get Yoshino back. And her Spirit Brace, too.

Tohka: I've gotta call the others. [to her brace] Tohka to Fraxinus. We have an emergency.

Kotori: [through Tohka's brace] I read you, Tohka. What's up?

Tohka: The Demonoids sent a pitching machine that swallowed Yoshino whole, and the Bandersnatch stole her Spirit Brace. Do you have any idea where they took her?

Kotori: MARIA and Karen just got a reading from Pier 54. I'll get the others and meet you there.

Tohka: Right. Thanks, Kotori. [to the others] Ladies, let's suit up!

Tohka, Origami, Kaguya, and Yuzuru: [activate their Spirit Braces] Sephira, GO!

[They all get suited up]

[Pier 54, 12:00pm]

[The Spirit Soldiers (minus Blue) gather]

Miku: No luck, Tohka. We couldn't find anything.

Shido: How 'bout you?

Tohka: Not a sign of Pitchbot anywhere.

Mukuro: I sure hope Yoshino is all right.

Shido: Me, too.

[Suddenly, Pitchbot appears alongside LN and Nervadrone]

Pitchbot: Surprise, Spirit Soldiers!

Shido: Pitchbot!

Origami: LN.

Nia: Who's that other Demonoid?

Nervadrone: I am Nervadrone, master mechanic at Isaac Westcott's Neo-DEM Industries. And I have you right where I want you, Spirit Soldiers!

Tohka: You better let Yoshino go, or I'll have to rip you apart 'til I get her out!

Pitchbot: Don't kid yourself, Princess.

Nervadrone: You can't get her without her Spirit Brace, and we have it.

Kotori: Where is it?!

LN: Don't look at me. It's all Nervadrone's idea!

Nervadrone: The Bandersnatch have it!

[One of the units has Yoshino's Spirit Brace on hand; Origami is the first to go after them on a series of jet skis]

Origami: [fires a blast from her Spirit Pistol at the unit holding the brace] Give that to me!

[The unit gets blasted and drops the brace, but another grabs it just before it hits the water]

Bandersnatch: I have it!

Origami: Not for long!

[She jumps onto the unit's jet ski, snatches the brace, and kicks the unit into the sea, causing it to short-circuit; she takes the helm]

Origami: Nia, catch!

[She tosses the brace to Nia, who leaps up and catches it]

Nia: Piece of cake!

[A dozen more units surround her, but she fights them off as much as she can]

Nia: [tosses the brace to Kurumi] Kurumin, heads up!

Kurumi: [catches it] Got it!

[More units charge at her, but Kurumi fires bullets from her musket at them, then kicks a few to the ground]

Kurumi: [tosses the brace to Shido] Shido!

Shido: [catches it] Yes!

[He punches a few oncoming units and leaps at another, then flips another on its back]

Shido: [tosses the brace to Kotori] Kotori!

Kotori: [catches it] Thanks, bro!

[She fights off another dozen units with her lance; LN charges at her with her swords; they get into a sword fight]

LN: Let go of that Spirit Brace!

Kotori: Gladly. [tosses the brace to Mukuro] Muku, catch!

[Mukuro catches it]

Mukuro: I love a good game.

[Another dozen units surround her, but she fights back with her halberd]

Mukuro: [tosses the brace to Natsumi] Natsumi, heads up!

Natsumi: [catches it] Good throw!

[Using her broomstick, she sweeps the ground rapidly, releasing dust upon the oncoming Bandersnatch]

Natsumi: Nothing like a little cleanup on the job. [tosses the brace to the twins] Kaguya! Yuzuru!

[The twins move back to try and catch it]

Kaguya: I got it! I got it!

Yuzuru: Correction. I've got it.

[Suddenly, two Bandersnatch tackle them to the ground; the brace hits the ground just beside them]

Kaguya and Yuzuru: We don't got it.

[They turn around and kick the units down]

Kaguya: Miku!

Yuzuru: Order! Grab the brace!

[Miku grabs the brace]

Miku: No problem!

[She fights off another dozen Bandersnatch and blows them away with her shamisen]

Miku: [tosses the brace to Tohka] Tohka, here!

Tohka: [catches it] No sweat!

[She jumps onto her Sephira Cycle and rams through the remaining Bandersnatch]

Tohka: YEE-HA!

[Suddenly, LN, Nervadrone, and Pitchbot block her path]

LN: Forgotten us?

Tohka: [fires blasts from her pistol at the villains] Gimme back my friend!

Pitchbot: [as he and the others dodge the blast] Gladly!

[He sucks Tohka inside his mechanical belly; Yoshino walks up to her]

Yoshino: Tohka, is that you?

Tohka: Yoshino!

[She embraces Yoshino]

Tohka: Are you okay, honey?

Yoshino: Yeah. Am I ever glad to see you.

Tohka: Me, too. [hands Yoshino her Spirit Brace and Yoshinon] Here. I brought you a couple presents.

Yoshino: Yoshinon! And my Spirit Brace!

[She embraces Yoshinon and puts on her Spirit Brace]

Yoshinon: [as Yoshino slips her back on her left hand] You feeling all right, Yoshino? It must've been really scary in here all alone.

Yoshino: It really has. Now if only we could find a way out.

Tohka: We could try reversing the gears.

Yoshinon: Which means you'll have to transform.

Yoshino: Right. [activates her brace] Sephira, GO!

[She gets suited up]

Tohka: Ready, kiddo?

Yoshino: Let's do it!

[She and Tohka grab the gears and turn them back with all their combined might]

Tohka: That's a good girl!

[Outside, Pitchbot laughs until he starts groaning in pain and clutches his stomach]

LN: What the hell is the matter with you?!

Nervadrone: Indigestion at a time like this?!

Pitchbot: My gears!

[He suddenly spits Tohka and Yoshino out; the two Spirit Soldiers rejoin the others]

Shido: You two okay?

Yoshino: Thanks to Tohka.

Yoshinon: I just hope she still has enough strength left for the game later.

Pitchbot: Once you're dead, it won't matter!

[He fires lasers at the Spirit Soldiers; they dodge]

Yoshino: [charges at Pitchbot with her Spirit Axe] This one is mine!

[She strikes Pitchbot with her axe, then converts it to firearm mode and fires a cold blast at him, freezing him]

Pitchbot: Thermal power, activate!

[He defrosts himself]

Pitchbot: Anyone wanna try a fast ball?!

[He pitches fast balls at the Spirit Soldiers, hitting them, until Tohka bats other incoming balls out of sight with her Spirit Saber]

Tohka: Who needs a batting cage when you've spent most of your whole life picking up a sword? Let's combine our weapons!

[She, Yoshino, Shido, Kotori, Origami, and Miku combine their weapons]

Tohka: Sephira Bazooka!

Pitchbot: Uh-oh!

All Spirit Soldiers: FIRE!

[The Sephira Bazooka fires a blast at Pitchbot, hitting him hard; Pitchbot falls to the ground, and an explosion is shown; one of his computer chips flies out, completely charred and melted, before getting vaporized; after the smoke clears, Pitchbot's remaining chip reassembles the dismantled Demonoid]

LN: [whips out a handheld laser] Pitchbot isn't quite out yet. [fires it at the remains of Pitchbot] Giga Beam!

[The beam enlarges Pitchbot]

Pitchbot: Bottom of the ninth, Spirit Soldiers!

LN: Thanks to your portable Giga Beam lasers, Nervadrone, we won't have to make Demonoids grow from the base.

Nervadrone: Pure genius.

Tohka: Send in the Sephira Robo!

[The Sephira Robo flies into the scene; the Spirit Soldiers jump into the cockpit; both mechanical giants fight]

Pitchbot: [pitches balls at the Sephira Robo] Try your luck with these!

Tohka: Sephira Robo Saber!

[The Sephira Robo's saber appears; it bats each ball right back at Pitchbot, hitting him]

Tohka: You just struck out, Pitchbot! Back to the minors for you! Sephira Robo, Spritual Strike!

All Spirit Soldiers: Final attack!

[The Sephira Robo strikes Pitchbot with its glowing saber, severing the computer chip on its right shoulder; Pitchbot screams, falls to the ground, and an explosion is shown; Pitchbot's remaining computer chip falls to pieces and gets vaporized]

Tohka: Termination complete. Home run! Sephira Squadron...!

All 12: Spirit Soldiers!

[The Sephira Robo poses triumphantly]

[Back on the ground, LN strangles Nervadrone]

Nervadrone: Lady LN, please forgive me!

LN: Thanks to you, we not only lost the Spirit Brace, but the Spirit Soldiers your Demonoid captured escaped!

Nervadrone: Oh, come on! That was Pitchbot's fault! Anyway, he was a wimp, compared to the others!

LN: Enough excuses! Let's go back.

[She and Nervadrone vanish]

[North Meadow, Central Park, 5:53pm]

[The game between the Legal Aid Lions and the Felony Frogs is on; a familiar song is heard as play continues:]

Tohka: Take me out to the ball game.
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack.
I don't care if I ever get back.
'Cause it's root-root-root for the Lions.
If we don't win, it's a shame.
'Cause it's 1, 2, 3 strikes, you're out!
At the ol' ball game!

Origami: Take me out to the ball game.
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack.
I don't care if I ever get back.
Yoshino: 'Cause it's root-root-root for the Lions.
If we don't win, it's a shame.
'Cause it's 1, 2, 3 strikes, you're out!
At the ol' ball game!

Tohka, Origami, and Yoshino: Yes, it's 1, 2, 3 strikes, you're out!
At the ol'...
ball...
game!
Tohka: At the ol' ball game!

[Score:
Legal Aid Lions: 3
Felony Frogs: 2]

[It's the bottom of the ninth inning, with one out and one of the Felony Frogs at bat; Tohka pitches; the batter hits the ball and runs toward first base; the ball lands in front of Yoshino, who catches it, then tosses it to first baseman (or basewoman) Origami, who catches it just before the batter can reach first base]

Umpire: Out!

[The crowd cheers]

Tohka: Okay, guys! Two down! Good job, Origami!

[At the announcer's booth is Alex Garcia]

Alex: Well, folks, this is it. The Felony Frogs are down to their last out. But unfortunately, for the Legal Aid Lions, who currently lead 3-2, this is the heart of the bear's order.

[Another Frogs player steps up to the plate]

Alex: And stepping up to the plate is #11, Brett Peterson.

[Cut to the bleachers with Alvin, Shido, Kotori, Mana, Miku, Kaguya, Yuzuru, Nia, Natsumi, Kurumi, and Mukuro; Kotori and Mana are snacking on peanuts and Cracker Jacks]

Nia: I sure hope Tohka's got enough energy left for the rest of this inning.

Alvin: Ditto. That last fight sure took a lot out of her.

Shido: It's obvious that Westcott hates baseball.

[Tohka pitches; Peterson hits the ball and rushes to first base just as Yoshino grabs the ball]

Alex: Base hit for Peterson!

[Yoshino tosses the ball to Tohka, who catches it; another Frogs player steps up to the plate]

Alex: Next up is #6, center fielder Harrison Beauregard.

[Tohka pitches; the catcher catches the ball (right above his head)]

Umpire: Ball!

[The catcher tosses the ball back to Tohka]

Alex: Ooh. Looks as if Legal Aid's temporary rookie pitcher might be getting a little rusty by now.

[Tohka pitches again; Beauregard bats it toward center field and rushes to first base while Peterson heads for second, then third]

Alex: Roped into center field!

[Peterson and Beauregard stop at third and first (respectively) just as the center fielder grabs the ball]

Alex: Things are looking ugly for Legal Aid right now. With runners on first and third, that brings up Felony's star batter: Buck Cousins, with a career average of .632 and 93 home runs. He also holds three state records for hitting.

Tohka: All right, guys! Look alive! Still got two down!

[She pitches; Cousins swings and misses; the crowd cheers]

Umpire: Strike 1!

[Tohka pitches again; Cousins swings and hits; the ball takes to the sky; everyone watches]

Shido: Go foul. Go foul. Go foul.

Cousins: Stay fair! Fair!

Alvin: Foul! Go foul!

Lawson: Go foul, damn it!

Tohka: Go foul! Go foul!

Alex: It's going, going, going...!

Kotori: Come on! Go foul!

Mana: Go foul!

Miku: It's getting there!

Tohka: That's right! Go foul!

[The ball barely flies over the foul line]

Umpire: FOUL BALL!!

[The crowd cheers]

Miku: One more, Tohka! You can do it!

[Tohka aims carefully, then pitches again; gripping his bat, Cousins swings and bats the ball high up and deep toward left field]

Alex: Long drive deep to left field! This could leave the park!

[Yoshino rushes back to try and catch the ball just as Peterson, Beauregard, and Cousins start running]

Alex: Going! Going!

[Yoshino leaps into the air and catches the ball just before anyone can touch a base]

Umpire: OUT!!

Alex: Holy smokes! Himekawa's got it! What a nail-biter! The Lions win!

[The crowd cheers, along with the Lions, who all surround Yoshino; Tohka pats Yoshino on the head; Yoshino smiles]

Lawson: Very nice game, guys. Finally, a victory against the Frogs. [points at Tohka] However, you almost blew it.

Tohka: I beg your pardon?

Lawson: You almost cost us the entire game at the bottom of the ninth.

Tohka: Almost, but I didn't.

Origami: Besides, she only had a one-run lead.

Yoshino: And her offense didn't give her a chance.

Lawson: Yoshino, if it weren't for you, we'd have lost. Forget it. We'll discuss it over our victory dinner.

Tohka: Now, listen here, Stephanie. Ever since I joined this team, your attitude has been nothing but pessimistic. If you can't be there to support me, then I don't think there's anything worth discussing! That's why I'm quitting the team.

Origami and Yoshino: And so are we.

Lawson: Well, fine! If that's how you wanna play it, it's okay with me. Keep the mitts and caps, though.

[She leaves]

Yoshino: That was awesome, the way you stood up for yourself when you did.

Tohka: Yeah, but I also lost my shot at playing baseball.

Origami: Stephanie's team didn't deserve you.

Yoshino: We can always join another team.

Tohka: Thanks. You guys are the best.

[She embraces her two friends; the rest of the group runs up to them to congratulate them]

[Clips from the next side-fic are shown]

Miku: Okay, Tohka. You've had your turn. I'm next.

Tohka: Didn't we both have a turn with Shido that night?

Miku: Not that. I mean I'm the star of the next episode.

Tohka: Oh.

Miku: Next time: A Nightmare on Madison Street.

Tohka: Vigilance, dedication, courage!

Last edited by TVLubber (8/14/2022 7:57 pm)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

Board footera