ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2021 11:28 pm  #1

Side-Fic 345: Broom Ball

Rated TV-14 (DLSV)

Mana: Hey, everyone! Showtime's underway! Remember, turn your lights on, and don't sit too close to the monitor. Let's go!

Narrator: In New York City's fight against crime, the dedicated detectives who pursue the most vicious criminals are members of an elite unit known as ACME Crime Net.

[132 Madison Street, Saturday, October 12th, 9:35am]

[Two hockey goal nets are set up; Alvin dribbles a ball using a broomstick; Shido, Tohka, Origami, Kotori, and Mana enter and watch]

Alvin: Dribble to the left, dribble to the right, and... [whacks the ball into the goal] SHOOT!

Tohka: GOAL!!

Alvin: Hey, you guys.

Shido: Hey, Alvin. What's with the broom?

Origami: That's an unusual way to do chores.

Alvin: The new detectives at the 31st Precinct challenged ACME to a game of broom ball.

Tohka: Broom ball? You look more like you're playing hockey.

Kotori: In a way, Tohka, it is hockey, except you use brooms for the sticks and a ball for the puck.

Alvin: Very good, Kotori. I'm gonna be the player-coach of the team. But I need five more players.

Mana: Well, you got your brothers and the Chipettes, particularly Brittany and Eleanor.

Alvin: The Chipettes and Olivia are out of town for the day, and Simon and Theodore aren't very good at this game. I was the only member of my group who volunteered. Hey, what about you guys?

Shido: I don't know, man.

[There is a knock at the door; Tohka walks up to the door and opens it, revealing two young detectives with posters]

Felix: [flashes his badge] Felix Hernandez, 3-1, second grade detective.

Shirley: [flashes her badge] Shirley DuBois, third grade, same unit. Just came by to put up these posters.

Felix: Everyone in our unit wants to see us play. Is Alvin here?

[Alvin approaches]

Alvin: Hey, you guys.

Felix: Yo, Al, you find a team yet that's man enough to take on the Homicide Hoppers?

Alvin: I've got my eyes on those five over there.

[Felix and Shirley eye Shido's group]

Felix: Oh, come on. Shirl and I played a lotta broom ball games since we first became cops back in Brooklyn. Never lost once. We need some real competition.

Tohka: Oh, we'll show you real competition. Alvin, I wanna join your team.

Shido: Me, too.

Kotori: I'm with you, bro.

Mana: Wherever my big brother goes, I go.

Origami: Count me in, too. I'm always up for a challenge.

Shirley: Very brave, for rookies. We'll see you at the game. 4:00pm, sharp.

Felix: Hasta luego, amigos.

[He and Shirley exit]

Shido: We'd better start practicing.

Alvin: Yep. But first...

[He enters his room, then comes out with a stack of folded red t-shirts; Alvin unfolds the top shirt, revealing "ACME Angels" printed on it]

Origami: ACME Angels?

Alvin: We've had this team name since last year. Besides, you guys are like angels to me.

[Shido's group smiles]

[Neo-DEM Industries HQ, 9:47am]

[Westcott watches footage of Alvin and Shido's group practicing broom ball]

Westcott: Shido will need more than practice to protect his sister and defeat me. Mana used to be my Wizard, and I want to eliminate all who remind me of the old DEM's failure. JB, is your next Demonoid ready for battle?

JB: That silly game the Spirit Soldiers are practicing gave me a good idea. I saw a poster of the opposing team that had a picture of a grasshopper. [whistles] Hoppertron!

[A mechanical grasshopper from earlier in the season (standing on two legs) enters the scene]

Hoppertron: At your service, Lady JB.

JB: Here's the plan. [shows Hoppertron a recent photo of Mana] Once this girl is in sight, I'll restrain her, then you use your antennae to drain her of her Wizard powers.

Hoppertron: Interesting.

[Back at the warehouse, Shido's group is now wearing Alvin's t-shirts and goggles; Shido is the goalie while the girls and Alvin practice their shots with broomsticks; Tohka whacks a ball toward Kotori, who whacks it into the goal]

Alvin: Good shot, Kotori! Tohka, nice pass!

Tohka and Kotori: Thanks!

Alvin: Okay, girls. Let's give Shido a little more practice. [blows his whistle]

[He and the girls each whack a ball toward the goal; Shido whacks each ball back]

Shido: Nothing to it.

Alvin: Good job, Shido!

[Meanwhile, outside the warehouse, Ai, Mai, and Mii peer through a window]

Ai: Who knew Shido Itsuka and his gaggle of girls were into that kinda stuff?

Mai: Playing hockey with brooms and balls-- Almost like a child invented it.

Mii: That's so lame.

Ai: Anyway, back to our plan on finding out who the Spirit Soldiers really are. Mai, you got that aroma meter?

[Mai holds up an unusual device]

Mai: Yeah, but I don't see why we have to depend on such a cheap gadget.

Mii: It's so lame.

Ai: On the outside, it is. But inside, that device is gonna help us for sure. We're gonna take a sample of everyone's aroma at the game later by pretending we're doing interviews, then we'll see if any of the samples match the scent of any of the Spirit Soldiers. We nail one, we nail 'em all.

[Her two friends smile and nod]

[Later, on the roof, Shido, Kotori, and Mana jog a lap; after they finish, they drink from water bottles]

Mana: I sure hope we can beat those stuck-up Homicide Hoppers in the game, guys.

Shido: Are you kidding, Mana? The way you've been shooting today, we're a shoo-in.

Kotori: Even if we don't win, I just hope we're all on our A game.

Shido: I know winning isn't everything, but losing to a team of jerks? Get real.

[Suddenly, an army of Bandersnatch 2.0 units appears]

Kotori: Oh, great! Just what we need! Bandersnatch!

Shido: Remember, girls, go for the emblem.

[His sisters nod; all three fight the Bandersnatch over the next two minutes; afterwards, JB appears]

JB: Gotcha now, Spirit Soldiers!

Shido: JB!

Kotori: Time to transform!

Shido and Kotori: Sephira, GO!

[They get suited up]

JB: Deal with the Spirit Soldiers, Bandersnatch. The traitor is mine!

[The Bandersnatch fight the Spirit Soldiers while JB fights Mana, all over the next few minutes]

Mana: You fight dirty, JB, but then again, you're no different than the other Demonoids!

JB: A mere human can't beat a Demonoid. You could equip yourself with a CR-Unit.

Mana: Not a chance. Gotta save energy.

[She grabs JB and flips her on her back; JB gets back on her feet]

Mana: There's something familiar about you, JB. Just thought I'd mention it.

JB: Really? It's funny you'd say that. Tell me, Mana. Does the name Jessica Bailey mean anything to you?

[Mana has flashbacks of DEM Wizard Jessica Bailey; back in the present, she gasps]

Mana: Jessica?! Oh, my God! What's Westcott done to you?!

JB: That's who I used to be. But that woman is gone. Using Argon's heart, Westcott resurrected me and turned me into the Demonoid standing before you today. And this time, there's no going back.

[She whips out a new sword]

JB: What do you think of my new sword? I forged it myself. Far better than any sword I ever used in my old lifetime.

Mana: It's just a sword. [whips out her shinai] And it's no match for my lucky shinai!

[She and JB fight with their swords]

Mana: Jessica, what Westcott has done to you before was unforgivable enough. Reincarnating you as a Demonoid, however, is way beyond that!

JB: Don't call me Jessica!

[She strikes Mana with her sword, then fires photon lasers from her shoulder cannons at her; Mana barely dodges the blasts]

Mana: [gets equipped with Vanargandr] Equip!

[She and JB continue fighting, but JB still has the upper hand]

[Back at the Bandersnatch fight, Shido and Kotori finish off the half of the Bandersnatch]

Shido: Kotori, we gotta help Mana.

Kotori: Right!

[Suddenly, Hoppertron appears]

Hoppertron: Not so fast, puny humans! Now you're about to feel the wrath of the Demonoids!

Kotori: Not another bug bot!

Shido: Let's suit up!

Shido and Kotori: Sephira, GO!

[They get suited up and fight Hoppertron with their standard weapons]

Hoppertron: You think you can outmatch the mighty Hopperfiend? Well, you're mistaken.

[He strikes the two Spirit Soldiers with his claws; the rest of the Bandersnatch charge at the two Spirit Soldiers as Hoppertron approaches the fight between Mana and JB; JB restrains Mana]

JB: This is it, Hoppertron! Drain her fast!

Hoppertron: [points his antennae at Mana] Nothing like a little Wizard power to brighten up your day!

[He zaps Mana, draining her powers]

Mana: Let me go, you ugly robots!

[Spirit Soldiers White, Blue, Fuchsia, and Violet appear and help Shido and Kotori fight the rest of the Bandersnatch]

Shido: Glad you could make it, guys, but Mana needs us!

Origami: I'll get her!

[She charges at JB and Hoppertron, the latter of whom is nearly done draining Mana]

Mana: No! Stop it!

[Origami fires two blasts from her Spirit Pistol at the two Demonoids, hitting them; JB releases Mana as the power drain is finished]

Origami: You leave her alone!

Hoppertron: Too little, too late, Whitey!

[Mana reverts to normal]

Mana: What have you done to me?!

Hoppertron: I've drained you of your Wizard powers. Now your they belong to me!

[He and JB vanish; the Spirit Soldiers approach the incapacitated Mana]

Tohka: Mana, are you okay?

Mana: I feel totally wiped out, guys.

Shido: We're getting you to the Fraxinus now!

[All three teleport out]

[Fraxinus EX, 10:19am]

[In the lab, Origami analyzes Mana; the Spirit Soldiers (helmets off), MARIA, Karen, and Elliot look on]

Elliot: So, all this time, JB was Westcott's ex-Wizard Jessica Bailey?

Mana: For some reason, I still feel sorry for her. First Westcott takes away her sanity, and now he revives her and takes away her humanity.

Shido: Just remember, guys, when next we fight her, keep in mind that she's not Jessica anymore.

[The others nod]

Karen: What's your analysis on Mana's condition, Origami?

Origami: Physically, she's all right.

Mana: I'm fine, but weak. When Hoppertron attacked us, he was definitely targeting me.

MARIA: That must be part of Westcott's scheme.

Elliot: We need to find out exactly what Hoppertron has done to Mana.

[Origami inspects a readout]

Origami: According to this readout, he's stripped Mana of her Wizard energies. [to her fellow Spirit Soldiers] We should be careful, guys. If Hoppertron has stolen Mana's powers, he could do the same to a Spirit Soldier.

MARIA: And as long as he controls Wizard energy, he's quite powerful.

Miku: But what can we do?

Origami: Perhaps we could come up with a transduction device to recapture Mana's powers.

Karen: The crew and I can handle that, but that'll take some time.

[The alarm blares; the monitor opens a channel to Midtown Manhattan, where Hoppertron is attacking]

Elliot: It's Hoppertron again. He's in Midtown now.

MARIA: Remember, until Mana's powers are recovered, you cannot destroy him.

Yoshino: Have the others ready, just in case.

Kotori: Don't worry, Mana. We'll keep him busy.

Shido: All right, girls. Back to action!

[He and the other five Spirit Soldiers put their helmets back on and teleport to Midtown Manhattan]

Hoppertron: Did you learn nothing from what happened to your Wizard friend? Now it's your turn!

[He fires lightning bolts from his claws at the Spirit Soldiers, who dodge and strike him with their main pistols; Hoppertron strikes back with his claws]

Miku: Hang on, guys! I'll squash that bug bot!

[She jumps up and fires a blast from her pistol at Hoppertron, who dodges and knocks her down with his claws]

Hoppertron: You're no match for me, Fuchsia.

[He and Miku continue fighting, until Hoppertron knocks Miku back to the others]

Hoppertron: How 'bout a little Wizard power?!

[He fires Mana's energy from his antennae at the Spirit Soldiers, hitting them; he laughs]

Hoppertron: How 'bout a little game of dodgeball?!

[He tosses a ball of lightning energy from his claws at the Spirit Soldiers, hitting them]

Shido: This guy's tough. Time to take this where less harm can be done to anyone. [pushes a button on his Spirit Brace] Sephira Vortex, engage!

[He, his fellow Spirit Soldiers, and Hoppertron get transported all the way to Tuckahoe Quarry]

Hoppertron: Oh, what's the matter? A little bugged today?

Shido: I'll keep him busy while you girls attack him.

Tohka: No, Shido! He's too strong! He's using Mana's powers against us!

Kotori: We gotta find cover.

Origami: In fact, we'll find a place in this quarry where we can fight him on our terms. Follow me!

[She rushes to the left]

Yoshino: Wait a minute, Origami!

Miku: Shouldn't we be going the other way?!

Shido: Damn! Let's go!

[He and the others follow Origami]

Origami: This way, guys! Hurry!

[Hoppertron hops after them]

[Back at the Fraxinus lab, Mana has seen everything]

Mana: Blasting the Spirit Soldiers with my powers?! I can't let him get away with that! How's the device coming along?

[Karen and the crew are nearly finished assembling the transduction device]

Karen: Almost done.

Mana: So how does it work exactly?

Shiizaki: It's simple. If all goes as planned, when Hoppertron fires a blast of Wizard power, this device will suck it up.

Minowa: I just hope he hasn't used too much of your powers already.

Mana: Ditto.

MARIA: Work quickly, crew. As soon as you're done, I'll teleport Mana to the quarry.

Kawagoe: Right!

Mana: Yeah. Just let me have a crack at that blockheaded bug bot!

[Back at the quarry, Hoppertron continues hopping after the Spirit Soldiers, firing lightning blasts from every direction; the chase leads to the side of the cliff]

Miku: End of the road, guys!

Hoppertron: What, nowhere left to run?

Shido: We're not scared of you, Hoppertron!

Hoppertron: Oh? Well, maybe a blast of Mana's power will change your minds.

Shido: Take your best shot!

Tohka: Are you nuts?! It'll blow us over the cliff!

Hoppertron: I'll tell your fellow Spirit Soldiers goodbye for you!

[He prepares to fire the last of Mana's power at them; Mana appears seven feet right of the Spirit Soldiers, carrying the transduction device]

Mana: Brother! DUCK!

[As Hoppertron opens fire, the Spirit Soldiers duck; Mana sucks the energy into the device]

Mana: Yes! It worked! [gets reenergized] That'll teach him!

Tohka: Thanks, Mana! That was too close!

Shido: Yeah. We'd have all been dead if it weren't for you.

Mana: Never mind that, guys. Finish him!

Shido: All right, Spirit Soldiers! Let's bring our weapons together!

[Their main weapons appear]

Shido: Spirit Knuckles!

Origami: Spirit Launcher!

Yoshino: Spirit Axe!

Kotori: Spirit Lance!

Miku: Spirit Shamisen!

Tohka: Spirit Saber!

[They combine their weapons]

All six: Sephira Bazooka!

Hoppertron: [charges at the Spirit Soldiers] Gimme your best shot!

Spirit Soldiers: FIRE!

[The Sephira Bazooka fires a massive blast of spiritual energy at Hoppertron, hitting him hard; Hoppertron screams and engulfs in an explosion; one of his chips flies out and shatters to pieces]

Shido: Now for his next chip.

[Back at Neo-DEM HQ, JB has seen the whole thing]

JB: Hop to it, Hoppertron. [pushes the Giga Beam button] Giga Beam!

[Back at the quarry, the Giga Beam hits the remains of Hoppertron, restoring and enlarging him]

Hoppertron: I'm back!

Miku: Send in the Sephira Robo!

[Sephira Voyagers Gold, White, Blue, Red, Fuchsia, and Violet fly into the scene and combine to form the Sephira Robo; the Spirit Soldiers jump into the cockpit]

Spirit Soldiers: Sephira Robo, ready!

Hoppertron: Let's see how you like a little antenna action!

[He fires lightning bolts from his antennae at the Sephira Robo, hitting it]

Miku: [as the Sephira Robo gets back on its feet] Come on, guys! We gotta fumigate this bug!

Hoppertron: [laughs and kicks the Sephira Robo back to the ground] A word like that is no good for bugs like me!

Mana: I gotta get in there. Equip!

[She gets equipped with Vanagandr]

Mana: I only have half a minute for this battle.

[She flies into the battle]

Hoppertron: Come on, Spirit Soldiers! My claws will make Sephira mush outta you!

[Suddenly, Mana strikes him with her blade]

Hoppertron: [notices her] You again?! How'd you get your--? Wait, forget it.

[He fires lightning bolts at Mana, who barely dodges]

Hoppertron: Doesn't matter. You're still too weak, just like your brother and his wimpy team!

Shido: Here we go again.

Mana: [shakes her fists] WIMPY?!

[Her power levels rise]

Mana: Fenrir: Lightning Field!

[The mechanical jaw on her left arm opens up and glows; she spins around in a square around Hoppertron, surrounding him with streaks of lightning; the lightning bolts zap him on all sides]

Hoppertron: No! Why?!

Mana: Say your prayers, Hoppertron! FIRE!

[Fenrir bombards Hoppertron with massive blasts of energy; Hackerdrone screams as he takes the blasts]

Mana: [flies back to the ground and reverts to normal] Get him, guys!

[The Sephira Robo gets back on its feet]

Shido: Sephira Robo saber!

[The Sephira Robo gets equipped with its saber; it slices Hoppertron's antennae off]

Hoppertron: No! Not the antennae! How dare you break 'em!

Spirit Soldiers: Spiritual Strike! FINAL ATTACK!

[The Sephira Robo strikes Hoppertron with its glowing saber; Hoppertron screams, falls to the ground, and engulfs in an explosion; the Sephira Robo poses triumphantly]

Miku: Termination complete! Sephira Squadron...!

All six Spirit Soldiers: Spirit Soldiers!

Mana: Way to go, guys!

Shido: [as the Sephira Robo gives a thumbs-up signal] We couldn't have done it without you, Mana. Thanks.

[Back at Neo-DEM HQ, JB shrugs and turns to her lesser Demonoids]

JB: Another one gone.

Maggotron: Sorry about this, boss.

Aphidrone: But we'll do better next time.

JB: Silence! Both of you! Hoppertron may have failed to capture the Spirit Soldiers, but this time, we didn't lose much.

Maggotron: But whatever do you mean, Lady JB?

Aphidron: Hoppertron was destroyed.

JB: He used up a chunk of Mana Takamiya's powers. Once she's finally out, she's as good as history.

[132 Madison Street, 4:45pm]

[The broom ball game between the ACME Angels (Alvin, Shido, Tohka, Kotori, Mana, and Origami) and the Homicide Hoppers (Felix, Shirley, and four other cops) is in the middle of the fourth quarter; Ryouko Kusakabe is the referee; all players are wearing goggles; using her broom, Tohka whacks the ball into the goal; the crowd cheers; Mikie, Mildred, Miku, Natsumi, Nia, Mukuro, Kurumi, and the Yamai twins act as ACME's cheerleaders]

[Score:
ACME: 13
Homicide: 17]

Origami: Nice shot!

[She and Tohka hi-five]

Cheerleaders: ACME Angels, fly, fly, fly!
Kiss those Hoppers bye-bye-bye!

[A bit later, Kotori dribbles the ball toward the goal and shoots, scoring another point for the team]

Ryouko: [blows her whistle] Goal: ACME!

[Score:
ACME: 14

[Later, Alvin and Shido each score a goal]

[Score:
ACME: 16

[Both teams continue scoring one goal after another; after five minutes, Origami scores yet another goal for her team; Ryouko blows her whistle again]

Ryouko: Point: ACME!

[Score:
ACME: 20
Homicide: 20]

[Only four seconds remain]

Ryouko: Only four seconds left in the match. Next goal wins.

Alvin: Time out!

[His team regroups and huddles up; all the while, Ai, Mai, and Mii enter with their aroma meter; Ai turns to one man in the crowd; Mai records everything on her phone]

Ai: So, who do you think's gonna win this match?

Man: ACME Crime Net. They're on fire today.

Ai: [points the meter at the man and turns it on] Okay.

[The aroma meter tries to suck in the man's tie]

Mai: Wait a sec. That thing's supposed to take in a person's scent, not a person's tie.

[Ai turns off the meter]

Ai: Sorry, sir.

[Mai stops recording; the trio heads for the door]

Mai: I knew this was too good to be true. It said on the box it was an aroma meter, but it was just a cheap-ass mini vacuum.

Mii: I told you it was lame.

Ai: Oh, well. At least you'll have a cleaner desk. Let's just sit and watch the rest of the game.

[They take their seats]

[Alvin discusses his plan with the team]

Alvin: Okay, here's the plan. When Homicide goes for the goal, Origami, you block and pass the ball to Shido, then Shido will give it to Mana for the last shot. Ready?

All six: BREAK!

[They take the field]

Ryouko: [blows her whistle] Hoppers' ball!

[Shirley passes the ball to Felix, who goes for the goal; Origami intercepts by whacking the ball to Shido, who passes it to Mana]

Origami: Go, Mana! Shoot!

Shido: You've got it, Mana!

[In slow-motion, Mana whacks the ball smack into the goal, just as the clock runs out]

[BUZZ!]

[Final score:
ACME: 21
Homicide: 20]

[Ryouko blows her whistle]

Ryouko: GOAL! ACME wins, 21-20!

[The ACME team cheers and embraces wildly]

Alvin: Way to go, team!

[He and Tohka bump fists]

Tohka: Thanks, coach.

[Homicide's team approaches]

Felix: I guess we underestimated you guys. You're really good after all.

Shirley: Even if you're not official members of ACME Crime Net.

Tohka: Thanks. You're not so bad yourselves.

[She and Shirley shake hands]

Shido: Maybe you'll beat us in next year's game.

Felix: Perhaps. Vamos, amigos.

[He and his team leave]

Alvin: You guys deserve a celebration dinner and dessert, on me and my brothers. I'll go see what's available. [approaches his group's room] Hey, Simon! Theodore! Up for some Taco Bell and Baskin-Robbins?

[The rest of Shido's group approaches the rest of the team]

Kurumi: Mana, great shot at the end!

[She and Mana hi-five]

Mana: Thanks. I only wish I could beat the Demonoids that easily. I won't be of much use to you guys against them now. Hoppertron may be gone, and I still have power left, but he used up so much of it.

Mukuro: Don't worry about it, Mana. You'll be all right.

Mana: But for how long? I may know how to occupy Demonoids without my powers, but I could never completely beat them.

Shido: But in all those times, you pulled through.

Mana: But once the power's all gone, it won't be the same. Westcott's had it in for me ever since I ditched DEM before. And now he's closing in.

[Origami pats her on the shoulder; Kotori holds Mana's right hand; Shido puts an arm around her; Mana leans her head on Shido's shoulder, a small tear running down her cheek]

Shido: Next time: Destination: Dionaea.

Last edited by TVLubber (1/27/2022 10:09 pm)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

Board footera