ACME Boards

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2017 8:52 am  #1

Side-Fic 254: The Spider Caesar/Double Jeopardy

Rated TV-14 (DLSV)

Hunter: Remember, folks, as you watch today's show, don't sit too close to the monitor, and watch in a brightly-lit area. Arachna Power!

Narrator: In New York City's fight against crime, the dedicated detectives who pursue the most vicious criminals are members of an elite unit known as ACME Crime Net.

[Apartment of Hunter Steele, Friday, February 24th, 7:25am]

[Corona is in the bathroom; she looks at a pregnancy test and sees a pale purple line beside the control line; she lets out tears of joy, then comes out of the bathroom; Aqune awaits]

Aqune: Well?

Corona: Three weeks. Due November 10th.

Aqune: [squeals; hugs her sister] Oh, congratulations, Corona! I knew you and Hunter would do it. Hey, breakfast is almost ready. Go wake up Hunter, but don't tell him yet.

Corona: Got it.

[She rushes to the master bedroom; Aqune walks up to Jeb in the kitchen]

Jeb: What's with all the squealin' and huggin', Aqune?

Aqune: [places a bun in the oven] Sorry, Jeb. Now, please don't tell Hunter until he finds out, but...

[She whispers into Jeb's ear]

Jeb: Not so close to my ear. Don't you know dogs have more sensitive hearing than humans?

Aqune: Sorry.

Jeb: Goin' back on topic, you serious?

Aqune: Dead serious, boy.

Jeb: These doggy lips are sealed. Cross my heart.

[Aqune lays out breakfast on the table, then holds out a bite of bacon to Jeb]

Aqune: Here you go.

[Jeb takes a bite]

Jeb: Thanks.

[Hunter and Corona enter and take their seats]

Hunter: Morning.

Jeb: Morning.

Aqune: Good morning, Hunter. You enjoying the day so far?

Hunter: Aqune, the day's just begun. What's all this about?

Aqune: Well, could you get something out of the oven for me?

Hunter: [gets out of his seat] Sure. [walks up to the oven and opens it] But don't we have everything for breakfast ready? [notices the bun in the oven] Huh? [takes the bun and shuts the oven] Okay, girls. What's the meaning of this bun in the o--? [turns to Corona] Corona...

Corona: [nods] Mm-hmm.

Hunter: You're... You're pregnant.

Corona: That's right.

Hunter: I knew you'd do it, Corona.

[They embrace]

Corona: No, Hunter. We did it.

[Tyler enters]

Hunter: Dad.

Tyler: Sorry. I couldn't help overhearing. Is it true, though? Corona's gonna have a baby?

Hunter: That's right. You're gonna be a grandfather.

Tyler: Oh, congratulations, son.

[He and Hunter embrace]

Hunter: Don't start breakfast without me, girls. I gotta call Ryan.

[Meanwhile, at Prescott's base, a demonic spotted grasshopper (that stands on its hind legs) hatches from one of Argon's eggs]

Argon: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our newest demon: Hopperfiend! Half-demon, half-grasshopper!

Hopperfiend: At your service, Master Prescott.

Prescott: I'd like for you to stand by in the city until I tell you it's time to deal with ACME. Just to make sure, I'll have you enlarged as soon as I give the signal.

Hopperfiend: As you command, sire. Time to hop to it!

[He hops away]

Prescott: ACME Crime Net may have ruined my plans to destroy them with Legendary Pokémon, but that was just another bump in the road. [snickers]

[ACME Crime Net HQ, 10:01am]

[Sparkle straightens files as Lumen reads a cookbook]

Lumen: Beef stroganoff. Interested in helping me and Noia out with that, Sparkle?

Sparkle: You bet.

[She gets a text from Hunter on her iPhone]

Sparkle: Oh. Text. [looks at the text] "Bavarian boy icon gash"?

Lumen: What? Is that a spam text?

Sparkle: Hunter would never send me texts like this.

[She gets another text: "You like anagrams?"]

Sparkle: "You like anagrams"? What are anagrams? I never learned that back in the Inner World.

Lumen: It's a word or phrase formed by rearranging the letters in another. Take the word "stop" for instance: S-T-O-P. What else would you spell with those letters?

Sparkle: Oh. "Pots", which is "stop" spelled backwards.

Lumen: Yeah, that was way too easy. Try another word.

Sparkle: Hmm... "Tops"? "Spot"? "Post"?

Lumen: Very good. But to figure out what "Bavarian boy icon gash" meant, it's gonna take a lot of figuring.

Sparkle: Blackboard.

[She walks up to the blackboard, grabs a piece of chalk, and writes down "Bavarian boy icon gash"]

Sparkle: Let's see. If we take the B and an A from "Bavarian" and the B and Y in "boy", we get... [writes down another word] "Baby". [erases said letters from the message] That leaves "Varian o icon gash".

Lumen: Baby... Hmm...

[He looks closely at the remaining letters in the message]

Lumen: Wait. I remember seeing a John Hughes movie with Noia last night: She's Having a Baby. Maybe that's it.

Sparkle: It can't be. There's only one S. But I think we might be getting somewhere. If we take the H, A, and G from "gash", the I, and N from "icon", and the V from "Varin", then take the A from "Varin",... [writes the word "having" beside "baby", then an A in between those words, then erases said letters from the message] ...we get "having a". "Having a baby" is what we've got so far. That leaves the original message as "Rian O co S".

Lumen: We can take the I from "Rian" and the S. We've got "is". [erases the I and S, then writes "is" beside "having"] And that leaves R-A-N-O-C-O.

Sparkle: Someone named Ranoco is having a baby?

Lumen: Don't know. But wait. There's only one person we know whose name is spelled using all six of these letters in one word.

Sparkle: Hmm... "Ranoco"-- [gasps] Corona! [writes down "Corona" beside "is"] That's the message. "Corona is having a baby". Neat game. [erases the whole thing]

Lumen: Yeah.

[After 10 seconds of silence, they scream in surprise]

Sparkle: Corona's really having a baby?!

Lumen: I don't believe it!

[Sparkle grabs her iPhone and texts "Corona is having a baby?! OMG!!! Congratulations!" with a surprise emoticon and sends it to Hunter]

Sparkle: We gotta call Igneous and Magma. This is so exciting.

[The Chipmunks and the Chipettes enter]

Lumen: Oh. Morning, Chipmunks. Chipettes.

Brittany: Hey, you guys. You think you could help us with something?

Alvin: I just got a text from Corona. [shows said text on his iPhone] It says "Alvin, this is Corona. Every little thing is going well. I’m having the best time. A really wild time, baby!", followed by an emoji of a door. Think that door means something?

Sparkle: I think she's trying to tell you that she's--

Lumen: [covers Sparkle's mouth] Hold it. We should let them figure it out themselves.

Sparkle: Okay.

Simon: Let's see. Maybe it's in code. Jaden told me he got a few coded messages from a boxer almost five years ago. He said that each coded message contained a small picture that rhymed with a number, meaning they must read every Nth word of the message.

Jeanette: I think the door means "every fourth word". Plus, I remember an old rerun of iCarly. Carly and her gang were trapped in some psycho fan's basement and sent Gibby a fake birthday message and ended it with saying "every fourth word".

Alvin: Blackboard?

[Lumen hands him a piece of chalk; Alvin looks at his text]

Alvin: "Alvin, this is Corona." [writes down "Corona" on the blackboard, then starts writing down every other fourth word] "Every little thing is going well. I’m having the best time. A really wild time, baby!"

Theodore: "Corona is having a baby".

Eleanor: Cool.

Alvin: I gotta try this on Dave. I'm sure he'd like to crack a coded message. [laughs; looks at the coded message's solution and gasps in surprise] WHAT?!! Is she serious?! Corona's really gonna have a baby?! [to Lumen and Sparkle] And you, Your Royal Highnesses, knew all along and didn't tell us?!

Lumen: We only just found out before you came in today. If we told you, solving that coded message wouldn't have been fun.

Sparkle: Besides, I loved seeing the look on your face when you finally realized that Corona's pregnant.

[Hunter, Corona, and Aqune enter]

Hunter: It's true, guys. The Steele family is gonna have a baby.

Corona: Surprised you, didn't we?

Brittany: You sure did, Corona! Congratulations!

[There are handshakes, fist-bumps, and hugs all around]

Venus: [yawns; gasps] Corona's having a baby?!

Shadow: You serious?! Battle Spiders, wake up!

[The Battle Spiders come out of their manacles]

Hunter: Hey, nothin' like sleepin' in, Shadow.

Corona: You've become heavier sleepers lately.

Venus: A lot of work is a major factor,... Mom.

Corona: You mean--

Venus: We woke up when we heard the news just now, and I'm really happy for you.

Shadow: Yeah. Congratulations, Hunter. Corona.

[They embrace their respective riders]

Hunter: Thanks, Shadow.

Corona: Thanks, Venus.

Portia: How's it feel now that you're gonna be an aunt?

Aqune: I feel good inside. I'm happy for my sister.

[Greg enters]

Greg: Hey, guys. Tyler told me the whole story. Hunter, Corona, congratulations! [shakes hands with Hunter and Corona] I'm very happy for the both of you.

Corona: Thank you, Captain.

Hunter: Thanks, Greg.

Greg: Now, detectives, I hate to break up the celebration, but we've got another case on our hands. [hands Hunter a file folder] A case of what could be another corrupt judge.

Hunter: Another Judge Smith?

[He opens the folder and sees a recent photograph of a judge (played by Amy Carlson)]

Hunter: Hey, I remember this judge. Sophia Osgood, defense attorney turned judge. Her husband recently filed for divorce.

Aqune: What's the issue with her?

Greg: Well, she'd recently dismissed a murder case: People v. Edgar Jeffries. Some rich guy stabs his brother in the midst of an argument, because he's mad at him for not attending their mother's funeral. DA charges him with murder-two, but Osgood constantly throws out important evidence or witnesses like yesterday's trash. She acquits Jeffries, and with double jeopardy attached, we can't try him again.

Simon: That is, unless the judge was bribed.

Greg: It couldn't have been done by Jeffries. He was in Rikers during the whole proceeding.

Hunter: I heard that Osgood attended Yale with Jeffries' father. We should get in touch with him.

Greg: Only if we find Osgood and get her to cooperate.

Corona: We need an arrest warrant.

[District Attorney Jack Flynn enters with a warrant]

Flynn: You got one.

Sparkle: The DA?

Alvin: Jack, what are you doing here?

Flynn: I knew Sophia Osgood. Good friend of mine. Before I became a lawyer, I used to teach a law class. Osgood was one of my students during my last year. But I never thought she'd stoop so low as to take bribes from the family of a murderer. But seeing as she's going through a divorce,-- [sighs]

Hunter: We'll find her, Jack.

Flynn: She lives in New Hyde Park. Her address is on the warrant. Oh, and by the way, Hunter, congratulations.

Hunter: Thank you, Jack.

[He and Flynn shake hands]

[Residence of Judge Sophia Osgood, New Hyde Park, 11:33am]

[Hunter parks his truck in front of Osgood's house; the gang gets out]

Hunter: I got this one.

[He approaches the house, when suddenly, the ground shakes; the gang notices a giant-sized Hopperfiend approaching]

Hunter: Oh, great. One of Prescott's demons.

Hopperfiend: You wanna take down that judge? You'll have to take me down first!

Aqune: I think this is a job for the new Spider Caesar.

Brittany: [warrant on hand] My sisters and I will interrogate the judge.

Alvin: I'll go with you. Bros, remember to follow Hunter's lead. [follows the Chipettes to the judge's house]

Simon and Theodore: Roger!

Hunter: Shadow!

Corona: Venus!

Aqune: Portia!

Lumen: Ebony!

Sparkle: Hotarla!

Simon: Flame!

Theodore: Magma!

All seven: Spider out!

[Their Battle Spiders emerge from their manacles]

Hunter, Corona, Aqune, Lumen, Sparkle, Simon, and Theodore: Arachna Super Power!

[They all get suited up into Super Mode with their Battle Spiders]

Hunter: Super Spider Racers, mobilize!

[The Super Spider Racers enter the scene; the seven Spider Riders jump into the cockpits; the Super Navy Navigator converts to the Navy Caesar and whips out its Xenon Blade]

Hopperfiend: Now you're dead meat!

[He fires a barrage of egg bombs at the Navy Caesar, hitting it; the Navy Caesar brushes off the damage]

Hopperfiend: Persistent fellow, aren't ya?

Hunter: Guys, let's try a new configuration! Super Spider Racers, Air Assault Mode!

[The other six Super Spider Racers take the form of an airborne chariot; the Navy Caesar jumps up and lands in the middle of the chariot; the Super Spider Racers narrowly dodge Hopperfiend's every blast]

Hopperfiend: [takes to the sky] You're not the only ones with machines that can take to the sky, Spider Riders!

[He flies after the Super Spider Racers]

Hopperfiend: You're a bunch of dirty cowards!

[The chariot turns around]

Hunter: So you say. FIRE!

[The Super Spider Racers fire a combined beam at Hopperfiend, hitting it hard; Hopperfiend hits the ground]

Hopperfiend: You'll pay for that!

Hunter: [inserts his Spider Gem into the controls] Let's put 'em together, guys!

Voice: Super Spider Racers, combine!

[The Super Spider Racers combine to form the Spider Caesar and lands on the ground]

Voice: Spider Caesar, ready!

[Alvin and the Chipettes are watching from below]

Alvin: They got this, no problem. Let's go, girls.

[The Chipettes nod; Brittany knocks on the door]

Judge Osgood: [from inside] Just a sec.

[Judge Sophia Osgood herself opens the door]

Judge Osgood: Come in, kids. It's too dangerous out there.

[Alvin and the Chipettes follow her inside]

Alvin: Sophia Osgood?

Judge Osgood: Yes.

Brittany: Your Honor, we're with ACME Crime Net.

[She, her sisters, and Alvin flash their badges]

Judge Osgood: Junior detectives? Now I've seen everything. How can I help you?

Alvin: We have warrant for your arrest.

Judge Osgood: My arrest? For what?

Jeanette: Bribe receiving in the second degree. We checked your bank records on our way here. Just last night at 7:13pm, you deposited a check from one Bradley Jeffries in the amount of $200,000. That check was dated February 23rd, the day you dismissed the indictment against Bradley's son, Edgar.

​Judge Osgood: He did give me the money, but I was going through--

Eleanor: A divorce. We know, and we're sorry to hear that. But that's no excuse to let a killer walk free.

Judge Osgood: Well, it's too late. You can't try him again, even if he did do it.

Jeanette: We can if the judge in his trial was bribed.

Judge Osgood: [cringes, then extracts a deck of Duel Monsters cards from her pocket] Uh, as long as you kids are here, you wanna play a game of Duel Monsters?

Alvin: Objection! Relevance.

Brittany: Wait, Alvin. Maybe if one of us beats her in a duel, she can turn herself in.

Judge Osgood: She's right, Alvin. Objection overruled. Who wants to take me on?

Eleanor: I'll do it. I haven't been dueling enough lately. [shuffles her deck] But don't think just 'cause you're a judge, I'll show you any mercy.

Brittany: Go get her, Eleanor.

Eleanor and Osgood: Duel disks, engage!

[They activate their duel disks]

Eleanor and Osgood: Duel gazers, ready!

[Everyone puts on their duel gazers; the field transforms into that of a jungle]

Computer: Augmented reality vision link established.

[The two duelists each draw their first five cards]

​Eleanor and Osgood: Let's duel!

[LP:
Eleanor: 4,000 (Hand: 5)
Osgood: 4,000 (Hand: 5)]

Alvin: I'll watch for the other Spider Riders.

[He looks out the window and watches the Spider Caesar fighting Hopperfiend]

Eleanor: Let's roll!

[She and Osgood each roll a die; Eleanor's comes up 5; Osgood's comes up 2]

Eleanor: 5-2 in my favor. I'll go first. [places a card] I activate the Field Spell: Amazoness Village!

[The field transforms into that of Amazoness Village]

Eleanor: This card is a big help for my Amazoness monsters. It not only gives them a 200 attack-point boost, but each time one I control is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, I can special-summon another one from my deck whose level doesn't exceed the one that was destroyed. [places another card] Next, I summon Amazoness Fighter!

[Amazoness Fighter appears]

[LV: 4
ATK: 1,500 (boosted to 1,700)]

Eleanor: [sets a card] That ends my turn.

Judge Osgood: [draws] I draw! [places a card] I activate Terraforming! This card lets me add a Field Spell Card from my deck to my hand. [takes a card from her deck] Zodiac Sign. [places said card] And I'll activate it now! This card gives all Zoodiac monsters I control an attack-point boost to the tune of 300. Plus, you can't target Beast-Warrior-type monsters I control for attacks, except the one with the highest attack points. [places another card] Next, I activate Foolish Burial! [sends a card from her deck to her graveyard] I send Zoodiac Whiptail from my deck to my graveyard. [places another card] Next, I summon Zoodiac Ramram!

[Zoodiac Ramram appears]

ATK: 400 (boosted to 700)]

Judge Osgood: [places another card] Next comes the Continuous Spell: Zoodiac Barage! Once per turn, I'll target and destroy one face-up card I control, and if I'm successful, I'll special-summon a Zoodiac monster from my deck. I'll target Ramram and destroy it!

[Ramram is destroyed]

Judge Osgood: [places a card from her deck] And in its place comes Zoodiac Kataroost!

[Said monster appears]

ATK: 800 (boosted to 1,100)]

Judge Osgood: But that's not all. Because Ramram was destroyed, I get to special-summon a different Zoodiac monster from my graveyard: The one I sent to my graveyard with Foolish Burial: Zoodiac Whiptail!

[Zoodiac Whiptail appears]

ATK: 1,200 (boosted to 1,500)]

Eleanor: None of them are strong enough to beat my Amazoness Fighter, and even if they were, when she battles, I don't take battle damage.

Judge Osgood: I'm not gonna use these monsters to beat your Amazoness, Eleanor. I'm gonna overlay them to build the Overlay Network!

[Her monsters convert to streaks of light; the Overlay Network appears]

Judge Osgood: I Xyz-summon... [places a card from her Extra Deck] Zoodiac Broadbull!

[Zoodiac Broadbull emerges from the Overlay Network]

[RANK: 4
ATK: 0 (boosted to 300)]

Eleanor: Cool move, but what good will it do?

Judge Osgood: Zoodiac Broadbull gains the original attack points of the monsters I used to Xyz-summon it. That gives it a total of 2,300.

[ZOODIAC BROADBULL:
ATK: 2,300]

Judge Osgood: Now for the fun part. Broadbull, attack Amazoness Fighter!

[Broadbull charges at Amazoness Fighter and strikes her, destroying her]

Eleanor: Amazoness Village's effect activates! Come on out, Amazoness Tiger!

[Amazoness Tiger appears and roars]

ATK: 1,100 (boosted to 1,300, then to 1,700)]

​Judge Osgood: What?! 1,700 attack points?! It should've been 1,300!

Eleanor: That would be, if it weren't for Amazoness Tiger's effect. He gains 400 attack points for each Amazoness I control, including himself. [pats the tiger on the head] Don't you, big guy?

[The tiger purrs with delight]

Judge Osgood: [sets a card] I set this card and rest my case.

Eleanor: [draws] My turn! I draw! Now, I activate the Trap: [reveals face-down] Amazoness Willpower! Return to the field, Amazoness Fighter!

[Amazoness Fighter reappears]

[AMAZONESS TIGER:
ATK: 2,100]

Eleanor: [places another card] Next, I activate a Continuous Spell: Amazoness Fighting Spirit! Almost like Skyscraper for Elemental Heroes, if an Amazoness monster I control battles a monster with higher attack points, it gains 1,000 attack points during damage calculation. [places another card] But first, I summon Amazoness Swords Woman!

[Amazoness Swords Woman appears]

ATK: 1,500 (boosted to 1,700)]

[AMAZONESS TIGER:
ATK: 2,500]

​Judge Osgood: Go ahead. I'm not afraid.

Eleanor: Because of Amazoness Willpower's side-effect, Amazoness Fighter has to stay in attack mode and battle each turn. But that's okay, 'cause thanks to Amazoness Fighting Spirit, she'll have no problem destroying your Zoodiac! Amazoness Fighter, attack Zoodiac Broadbull!

[Amazoness Fighter charges at Broadbull]

[ATK: 2,700]

Judge Osgood: [reveals face-down] I activate the Trap: Zoodiac Combo! This card lets me attach a Zoodiac monster from my deck as an Overlay Unit for a Zoodiac Xyz monster! [takes a card from her deck] Let's go, Zoodiac Thoroughblade!

[Said monster appears and transforms into an Overlay Unit for Broadbull]

Judge Osgood: That gives Broadbull Thoroughblade's 1,600 attack points!

[ATK: 3,900]

Eleanor: Uh-oh!

​Judge Osgood: Counterattack her, Broadbull!

[Broadbull strikes Amazoness Fighter, destroying her]

Eleanor: Still no battle damage.

Judge Osgood: But there's more. Because Broadbull has Zoodiac Whiptail as one of its Overlay Units, any monster it battles is banished at the end of damage calculation. And that's too bad, since Amazoness Village's effect will only work if one of your Amazoness monsters is destroyed and sent to the graveyard.

[AMAZONESS TIGER:
ATK: 2,300]

Eleanor: [growls; sets a card] You'll pay for that, Osgood! Your move!

Judge Osgood: [draws] Good! I draw! [places a card] I summon another copy of Zoodiac Thoroughblade!

[Zoodiac Thoroughblade appears]

ATK: 1,600 (boosted to 1,900)]

Judge Osgood: [discards a card, then draws another] By summoning this monster, I can discard a Zoodiac card from my hand and draw a new card. Out goes Zoodiac Bunnyblast. Oh, and I forgot to tell you something unique about Zoodiac Xyz monsters. Not only do they gain the original attack points of the Zoodiac monsters used as their Overlay Units, but they can also be Xyz-summoned simply by using any Zoodiac monster as an Overlay Unit, and if that monster used as an Overlay Unit has Overlay Units, the monster I summon gains those Overlay Units, as well. But I don't plan on doing that with Broadbull just yet. Right now, I build the Overlay Network with Zoodiac Thoroughblade!

[Thoroughblade converts to a streak of light; the Overlay Network reappears]

Judge Osgood: I Xyz-summon... [places a card from her Extra Deck] Zoodiac Tigermortar!

[Zoodiac Tigermortar emerges from the Overlay Network]

ATK: 0 (boosted to 1,900)]

Judge Osgood: [places another card] Next comes Overlay Regen! Convert to an Overlay Unit for Tigermortar!

[Tigermortar gains Overlay Regen as an Overlay Unit]

Judge Osgood: Now, I activate Tigermortar's effect. By using an Overlay Unit, I'll take a Zoodiac monster from my graveyard and use it as an Overlay Unit for one of my Xyz monsters. Zoodiac Bunnyblast, attach to Broadbull!

[Zoodiac Bunnyblast emerges from the graveyard and converts to an Overlay Unit for Zoodiac Broadbull]

Judge Osgood: And that's 800 more attack points for Broadbull.

[ZOODIAC BROADBULL:
ATK: 4,700]

Judge Osgood: Now it's time to say bye-bye, 'cause I rebuild the Overlay Network with Broadbull!

[Broadbull and its Overlay Units convert to streaks of light]

Judge Osgood: [places a card from her Extra Deck] Come forth, Zoodiac Boarbow!

[Zoodiac Boarbow emerges from the Overlay Network]

ATK: 0 (boosted to 4,700)]

Eleanor: It's no different than before.

Judge Osgood: That's where you're wrong. Zoodiac Boarbow's effect lets it attack you directly!

Brittany: This isn't good.

Jeanette: Come on, Ellie!

Judge Osgood: Nothing you tell her can save her! Boarbow, attack Eleanor and win this duel!

[Boarbow charges at Eleanor]

Eleanor: [in her mind] This isn't over yet!

[Cut back to the battle with Hopperfiend; Hopperfiend pulls off his wings and tosses them at the Spider Caesar like ninja throwing stars; the Spider Caesar gets struck by the wings]

Hopperfiend: And that's just for starters!

[He fires red lightning from his horn at the Spider Caesar, hitting it]

Hunter: You've had it, punk!

[The Spider Caesar punches Hopperfiend]

Hopperfiend: Take this!

[He slashes the Spider Caesar w/his claws]

Hopperfiend: [laughs] Give up yet?

Corona: No way!

[The Spider Caesar fires a blast of smoke from the solar panel on its chest at Hopperfiend, surrounding him with the smoke; Hopperfiend coughs, then flaps his wings, blowing the smoke away]

Hopperfiend: Think a little smokescreen can stop me?! Think again!

[He leaps up and slams the Spider Caesar to the ground]

Hunter: This guy's tough, even against our new Spider Caesar!

Theodore: Someone call an exterminator!

Hopperfiend: Too late, kiddo! [strikes the Spider Caesar on the head; laughs] Victory will be Prescott's!

[Suddenly, the solar panel on the Spider Caesar's chest takes in bright sunlight; the Spider Caesar fires flaming beams from its eyes at Hopperfiend, knocking him off of the Spider Caesar; the Spider Caesar gets back on its feet]

Hopperfiend: How did that happen?

[Cut to the cockpit]

Simon: The Spider Caesar has a powerful solar panel, which allows it to take in the power of the sun.

Hunter: It not only re-energizes the Spider Caesar, but it also maxes out its power levels.

[Cut back outside]

Hopperfiend: Well, better for you to go out fighting than not at all! [grips his wings like blades] Come and get me!

[The Xenon Blade appears in the Spider Caesar's hands; it glows, as does the Spider Caesar's eyes]

Hopperfiend: [stops] Huh?! Uh-oh!

Spider Riders: Xenon Blade, FINAL STRIKE!!

[The Spider Caesar strikes Hopperfiend w/the Xenon Blade; Hopperfiend screams as he gets electrocuted, falls to the ground, and an explosion is shown]

[Cut back to the cockpit]

Hunter: Prescott will never learn. Evil never wins.

[Cut back to the duel between Eleanor and Osgood]

Judge Osgood: Boarbow, attack Eleanor and win this duel!

[Boarbow charges at Eleanor]

Eleanor: [in her mind] This isn't over yet! [aloud] I activate my Trap Card: [reveals face-down] Dimension Wall! Sorry it has to end like this, but this card transfers any battle damage I take from this attack towards you!

Judge Osgood: WHAT?!!

[Boarbow strikes Eleanor, but she doesn't move; however, Osgood screams as she takes massive battle damage]

[LP:
Eleanor: 4,000 (Hand: 5)
Osgood: 0 (Hand: 0)]

Judge Osgood: I lost, because of my own monster, and in only one move, too?!

Eleanor: Sorry, Your Honor, but it's game over!

[All monsters vanish]

Judge Osgood: Okay, you got me. Woman of my word.

[Brittany slaps the cuffs on her]

Brittany: You have the right to remain silent and to an attorney. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. If you can't afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you.

Alvin: [looks out the window] Guys, they did it! The other Spider Riders beat the demon!

Jeanette: Yes!

Judge Osgood: That's good news.

Brittany: Come on, Your Honor. You're coming with us.

[Alvin and the Chipettes escort Osgood out of the house; they join the other Spider Riders (who are now back to normal)]

Alvin: We got her, Hunter.

Hunter: Good job, kids. Maybe now we can get her to squeal on Jeffries' old man.

[ACME Crime Net Interrogation Room, 12:43pm]

[Hunter and Alex watch as Osgood and her attorney Lennie Woodrow are interviewed by Simon and Jeanette]

Woodrow: So my client and Mr. Jeffries keep their money in the same bank. A lot of people do. No big deal.

Simon: Those people don't have Mr. Jeffries to back 'em up.

Judge Osgood: I had no way of knowing he informed the bank. I only saw that man five years ago with his wife. I didn't do anything improper.

Woodrow: Sophia...

Judge Osgood: No, Lennie, this is an absolute vendetta.

[Flynn approaches Hunter and Alex]

Flynn: May I?

Alex: Your call, sir.

[Flynn enters the interrogation room; everyone leaves except Osgood and Woodrow]

Flynn: Get him outta here.

Woodrow: Sophie, are you sure about this?

Flynn: She is. Go on.

[Woodrow exits and shuts the door]

Flynn: Turn it off.

[Hunter turns off the intercom]

Judge Osgood: Jack, you of all people should understand this is trash.

Flynn: Don't gimme those insults, Sophia. I was the one who authorized your arrest warrant, personally. How could you? For God's sakes, you're a judge. What about your oath?

Judge Osgood: I thought you'd give me the benefit of the doubt after 15 years.

Flynn: The hell with that! You betrayed your office! Your position on the bench!

Judge Osgood: I couldn't think about such a little thing. I was being slaughtered by my divorce. All I worked for, Jonah was getting it all. But I needed the money. Can you help me?

Flynn: You're going to prison, Sophia. But if you cooperate, you won't have to serve the max.

Judge Osgood: Bradley Jeffries came to me for help. He offered me $200,000.

Flynn: If you let his son walk on a murder.

Judge Osgood: Jack, they were very well-off. They would've beaten the charge, anyway.

Flynn: That's beside the point. [exits]

[Office of Executive Assistant D.A. Derek Watson, 4:38pm]

[Defense attorney Ned Logan and Bradley Jeffries (played by Ron Rifkin) face Watson and Alex]

Logan: You sent your batallion to arrest this man in front of his own granddaughters, and for bribery, of all things? Anybody tell you you're a sorehead, Mr. Watson?

Watson: Only when I lose, Mr. Logan. And even then, I'm hardly a sorehead.

Alex: [hands Logan written statements] We have a statement from the loan manager at the bank and one from Judge Osgood.

[Logan looks at the statements, then turns to Bradley]

Bradley: Don't pin this on Sophia Osgood. She just took pity on an old widower.

Watson: Mr. Logan, Osgood won't be the only officer of the court facing charges. I'd start considering a new career.

Bradley: Mr. Watson, let me be clear. Nobody else knew of this bribery. Not Mr. Logan, and certainly not Edgar.

Watson: You don't seem to understand the severity of your actions.

Bradley: I was only trying to save the only son I have left. If I hadn't been so negligent in the first place, my other son would still be alive. Go ahead and punish me. I don't care if I have to do life.

Alex: You're only gonna do 25. But with good behavior, you could be out in 15.

Bradley: Well, I hear that you can't do anything more to Edgar. That's all I care about.

Alex: Don't be so sure your son's out of the woods, Mr. Jeffries. We're reinstating the murder charge against him.

Logan: Whatever happened to double jeopardy?

Alex: I'm well acquainted with it, Mr. Logan, and I'm not even close to intimidated by it. Judge Johnson's chambers, first thing tomorrow.

[Chambers of Judge Walter Johnson, Saturday, February 25th, 9:34am]

Logan: Double jeopardy was written into the Constitution to protect citizens from repeated attempts by the jurisdiction to convict them. The essence of that guarantee-- Finality of an acquittal.

Alex: The Founding Fathers never wanted double jeopardy to go to the highest bidder, Your Honor.

Logan: But it was their intent that the jurisdiction get only...

Alex: ...one fair shot.

Judge Johnson: When it comes to the Constitution, counselors, fair's a four-letter word. The deck is deliberately stacked in favor of individual rights.

Watson: But there's no individual right to profit from an illegal act. Jeopardy never attached to Edgar Jeffries' trial for the simple reason that he was never in jeopardy to begin with. The trial judge was bribed.

Judge Johnson: Point taken, Mr. Watson.

Logan: Your Honor, to allow the charge to stick penalizes my client for the actions of a third party. He was unaware of this alleged bribe. He comes into court without his hands dirty.

Alex: Immaterial. The outcome was predetermined. The process was tampered with. The defendant, whether he was involved in this bribe or not, can't profit from it.

Judge Johnson: Double jeopardy may be sacred, but not at the expense of the integrity of the criminal justice system. Motion to reinstate the charge of murder in the second degree against Edgar Jeffries is granted.

[Cut back to Watson's office with Watson, Alex, Logan, Bradley, and Edgar Jeffries himself (played by Brian Van Holt)]

Watson: You kicked the system, Mr. Jeffries. Don't be surprised when it jumps up and bites you in the ass.

Logan: This isn't the end of the road, Watson. Reinstating the charge was just a speed bump. But if you wanna talk deals, I'm game.

Watson: Nothing short of man-one, 8 1/3-25. After the first eight years and four months, he takes his chances with the parole board. With good behavior, he might be out in seven.

Alex: As for Bradley Jeffries, I expect the maximum sentence for bribery-one: 25 years. I'll settle for 15. Is that what you want for your kids, Edgar? To visit their grandfather in a geriatric ward in Green Haven?

Logan: Don't listen to him, Ed. He's just letting off steam.

Edgar: Ned, I've got this. [sighs] Mr. Garcia, Mr. Watson, I'll accept the offer, but drop the charges against my dad.

Bradley: Edgar, we can fight this in court.

Edgar: What you did for me was right, Dad, but you did it the wrong way. This is the least I can do for you.

Bradley: Gentlemen, don't listen to him. Edgar, I won't allow you to do this.

Edgar: Dad, I killed Lorin. I snapped when he didn't show up for Mom's funeral. I gotta take the deal. I'm not gonna let you go to jail. [to Alex and Watson] Gentlemen, do we have a deal or not?

[After a moment of pause, Alex and Watson nod]

Logan: We'll meet you in court later.

[ACME Labs, 5:32pm]

[At the Spider Riders' office, the phone rings; Hunter picks up]

Hunter: ACME Crime Net. Steele. Great. I'll tell 'em right away. Bye, Julie. [hangs up] Jeffries took a plea. Gonna do eight years, four months.

Corona: And his dad?

Hunter: They dropped the charges. As for the judge, she took a plea and is awaiting sentencing. She's looking at 10 years for bribe receiving.

Corona: That's good news. Speaking of Osgood, Eleanor, how did that duel go against her?

Eleanor: It ended rather quickly. Only four turns. I didn't even take a hint of damage, but I was rather close to losing. Her best monster attacked me directly, but I used a Trap to transfer the damage over to her instead. I knew she'd pull something like that off.

Simon: In all our years of dueling, none of us ever won a duel that quickly. Well, except for Alvin.

Jeanette: I just wish Eleanor would duel more often.

Eleanor: I just wish they'd make more Amazoness cards. Especially Extra Deck monsters. And speaking of which, Osgood's Zoodiac cards were pretty powerful. Wonder if we'll ever face someone like that again.

Brittany: Who knows?

[She notices Alvin drawing something on his sketch pad]

Brittany: What are you drawing, Alvin?

Alvin: [hides his drawing] Oh, it's nothing. At least, nothing you wanna know right now. Until the time is right, it's strictly confidential.

Hunter: Whatever you say, Al. [picks up the phone] I'm gonna order Chinese. [looks through a menu] Al?

Alvin: I'll just have pork-fried rice and sweet and sour chicken.

[The others chatter indistinctly; Alvin continues drawing secretively]

Alvin: [in his mind] I can't let them find out yet. Not until the suit and powers are ready. Prescott will never expect this.

[Office of District Attorney Jack Flynn, 8:43pm]

[Alex and Watson are having celebratory whiskey with Flynn]

Flynn: Double jeopardy isn't easy to get around, you two. But you did it.

Alex: Considering the Jeffries' bankroll, sooner or later, we'd have been creamed at Appellate Court.

[The phone rings; Flynn picks up]

Flynn: Flynn. [10 seconds of silence] Thank you, Charlotte. [hangs up] Charlotte and Julie found Sophia Osgood dead in her home while she was waiting for her sentencing hearing. Self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

[Alex and Watson frown]

Flynn: Another round, fellas?

[FINAL NOTE:
Following the suicide of Judge Sophia Osgood, the case against her was officially marked "closed".
Edgar Jeffries was sentenced to 8 1/3-25 years in Green Haven Correctional Facility.
The bribery charge against Bradley Jeffries was dismissed.]

[Clips from the next side-fic are shown]

Alvin: I just had a nightmare. I heard voices coming from an old gourd.

Voices: [coming from the gourd] We're in here! Let us out!

Prescott: You'll never rescue the prisoners, Alvin.

Alvin: Katherine Grant, A.K.A. Katherine the Grand. Graduated from feared magician to murderous illusionist.

Sora: Alvin!

Layla: Get us out!

Alvin: Sora! Layla!

Dark Magician Girl: Next time on ACME Crime NetAlvin and the Magician Girls, Part 1.

Alvin: Vigilance, dedication, courage!

Last edited by TVLubber (2/03/2024 9:31 am)

Look me up on my gaming channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GamingDelight/

Board footera